Peel Music Festival

When Skies Are Grey

OK well I know it was the first night and all but here are my highs and lows of the evening

Highs

Backdoor Slam effing rocked...they sounded amazing and looked effortlessly cool up there..well done lads

The Who - great set and good encores so good to see them over here

Great Guinness in the Peveril beforehand - good food in Marine

Lows

Lack of on-site signage with regards to seating and site layouts

Not enough toilets or foods outlets

Not allowed to get to seats until BDS were well underway - leading to unncessary crushing and entrance

Bar token system is a joke and thay ran out of certain drinks half way through evening

For £47.50 we were not allowed to stand at the side of the silver seating area and were told we would be ejected from the event if we didnt sit down (so presumably standng up in front of those seated was actually permitted!!!!!)

No live music on in the afternoon or before BDS started despite advertisement to the contrary

Area in front of stage was all VIP seating...didnt help in kick starting the mood

Dont get me wrong we had a cracking night but if those niggles could be ironed out it would have been a top night......ever since i was a young boy la la la

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads had standing tickets but actually went and sat in the gold bit a few rows back where there were loads of empty seats, nobody challenged me for a ticket at the front. There was two or three small women as security staff, woefully inedequate. The first half sucked a bit, felt like watching a movie, everyone seated at a rock concert just felt wrong, if anyone stood the security ladies would come and tell em to sit down. Then in the 2nd half everyone stood up, they tried for a bit to get folks on the edges to sit down, but it wasn't happening.

The beer token system was plainly broken, six tills to buy single rounds not tokens in advance and 20 odd barstaff, quite easy to see how that wasn't going to work. The whole separate till thing only works with tokens so people visit the tills once, duh.

Fiver for a burger! Fiver for the car park!

Great concert though. Sound was spot on screens were good, bands were great. Glad I didn't pay silly money for the front seats tho :)

They didn't get their fire safety certificate until like 5pm, thats why they did not have live music on in the afternoon, or that was the hearsay anyway! Sounds pretty poorly organized. Mind you, your not going to get it right first time round are you. Although they were cutting it very tight with the fire safety cert.

IMO

1) the beer token system worked very well for those who managed to work out that a round of four drinks (2 pints bitter + 2pints of lager) = £13 for one beer token then buy three at the same time to save having to queue for the next round etc.. doh are some people stupid they couldn't work that out?

2) there were plenty of toilets - but not at the end when most people seemed to all want to go together - so what do you expect 10,000 capacity loos - get real - if you were really so desperate and with the concert being as good as it was why didn't you just piss hwere you stood - what would you do at Glastonbury amongst 100,000?

All in all a very good effort.

Good to hear Pete Townsend has been staying over in Peel for the last few nights. When is the accoustic session at the White House??

Also if Andy kershaw had anything whatsoever to do with getting the Who then he is so much a great guy more so that he already is with his world music on BBCR3.

Personally I thought it was great. I don't give a crap about the tags/beer thing as it took me about 2 mins to get served with a very nice cappuccino and a bottle of water (both of which were very reasonably priced) whilst everyone else was in the beer queue

No queues at the loo which was pretty clean

Traffic management was good - the guy on the way in asked did I have a pass (which I did) but then waved me in rather than make me have to take my glove off to get the ticket from my inside pocket (which would have held the traffic up)

No problems with bag check on the way in - they looked at my helmet bag and as soon as I said I was going to check it into the helmet store they left it alone.

No queues on the way out so I was home pretty quickly.

The sound was great, I was impressed with the tent, the lighting was great. Back Door Slam were 11/10 and I got to see The Who in a tent in Peel.

For me - it could not have been better.

the bar staff did a great job - once I got to the bar it was service double quick - much better system than queing ten or more deep hoping to get served - maybe just double the number of tills - something learnt from experience for next time.

Can some one explain how the token system works, do you go to one till to buy tokens then take the tokens to the bar to buy drinks? why?

and do I as a vip have to cue with all the peasants, or do I get a seperate fast track to the bar?

On the whole 'fiver for a burger' issue.

I went to see Robbie at the MK bowl last year, along with about 80,000 other people (No, I didn't know them all.....).

2 Burgers, 1 chips = £16

And there must have been 50+ food outlets there as well, they must have made an effin fortune.

They operated the beer token things as well.

I also believe the parking there was a bit of a mare as well. Certainly when we left all of the surrounding roads were shut, with a several mile walk to the bus station / taxi central. And then had to pay £50 for a 20 minute taxi ride (had been quoted £70 by the couple of taxis before) . Still a great night though.

So, despite a few glitches, maybe they aren't doing so bad over here.

IMO

1) the beer token system worked very well for those who managed to work out that a round of four drinks (2 pints bitter + 2pints of lager) = £13 for one beer token then buy three at the same time to save having to queue for the next round etc.. doh are some people stupid they couldn't work that out?

First time I went I was told you couldn't do that. Even then, it's a bent system. I'm not prescient enough to know what round I want for the rest of the evening. If you go to a gig/festival normally you get a strip of tokens, exchangable for any drink. So you and your mates just buy a big strip and use them for rounds and you dont have to try and guess who you want to buy a drink for for the rest of the night.

iom_cb, I'm not blaming the staff, it was obviously an organisational fuckup. Can you confirm/deny the story that there's no beers on sunday for Madness?

Fucking £5 for parking!

Can some one explain how the token system works, do you go to one till to buy tokens then take the tokens to the bar to buy drinks? why?

and do I as a vip have to cue with all the peasants, or do I get a seperate fast track to the bar?

Hah, one queue for all. The token system is a great idea when it's implemented right. Concerts without a token system end up being a random scrum up to the bar that's heluva fustration. This was better, but not proper tokens, they used reciepts, which was silly.

Archived