Homeless In The Isle Of Man

Chinahand

Read this on IOMonline.

Thought it was sad that the homeless/rough sleepers are reduced to squatting.

Squatting is only a very temporary solution: it damages the property, is insanitary, and insecure.

Is there a need for a drop in centre on the Island? A bunk room, lockers, a toilet, showers etc. I'm a bit surprised the Churches/Charities haven't raised the issue and got into a partnership with the Government. Or am I just missing things already ongoing?

I'd favour it being charity run, separate from Government - more flexible, less bureaucratic and with closer monitoring to ensure the money is used properly.

Plus there needs to be research done to understand why this is happening: poverty, substance abuse, choice - rough sleeping is a complex issue. Have we as an Island got a grip on it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds very much as though the 'reporter' was simply taking their word for everything.

Upstairs, in what could be described as the main bedroom, is where 12 people sleep lying close together to keep warm from each others' body heat.
Sorry, don't believe you!

With nowhere to store valuables, including cash and medication, the homeless are an easy target for thieves. 'You could have £200 in your pocket now and you wake up with nothing in the morning,' John says. 'You get robbed all the time.'

Errrm... exactly what kind of 'medication' are we talking about here? And you have £200 in your pocket, but nowhere to live?

The whole thing sounds like a whinge from people who can't be bothered to do anything for themselves (Jesus! I'm beginning to sound like a Daily Rail reader!) but, to be honest, I really believe that this 'problem' is being exaggerated out of all proportion.

I'm just wondering how many people are "homeless" on the isle of man & how many of them are local?

I cannot believe that in the isle of man where people from all over the world are brought in to fill job vacancies from high power to manual labor that there is an excuse to be unemployed and homeless.

If these people are "honestly" homeless and unemployed they they should be entitled to benefits (which includes covering rental) and getting their shit together and getting a job.

p.s. i wish i had £200 in my pocket.

Read this on IOMonline.

Thought it was sad that the homeless/rough sleepers are reduced to squatting.

Squatting is only a very temporary solution: it damages the property, is insanitary, and insecure.

Is there a need for a drop in centre on the Island? A bunk room, lockers, a toilet, showers etc. I'm a bit surprised the Churches/Charities haven't raised the issue and got into a partnership with the Government. Or am I just missing things already ongoing?

I'd favour it being charity run, separate from Government - more flexible, less bureaucratic and with closer monitoring to ensure the money is used properly.

Plus there needs to be research done to understand why this is happening: poverty, substance abuse, choice - rough sleeping is a complex issue. Have we as an Island got a grip on it?

Regarding a first point of contact, this charity group across seem to have got an effective grip on the problem.

Click

There is no doubt the IOM has homelessness probs - When my Mum bought her run down house in Mona St back in the 90s she had to single handidly kick squatters out - they were mainly drunkards - she cleaned out 53 bin bags of empty bottles and cans. For a while afterwards they kept trying to get back in!

I dont think you should look at homelessness with just your own moral standpoint as I think it is a bit more complex than saying "there is no excuse for not haveing a job etc" and all the other usual things people say

I still stand by my opinion that any one of us could potentially end up homeless, either through mental breakdown, bad fortune, addiction or lots of other reasons, this is why I try to be as sympathetic as possible.

My comments are similar to 'wideload's'

Does anyone have any statistics on how many homeless people there is in the Isle of Man? Also, how many of those are alcoholics and drug addicts etc?

Maybe if the public (includes me) could see the extent of the problem, it would go some way for us to understand the bigger picture instead of letting us shrug our shoulders and carry on, as if nothing matters or doesn't concern us.

I was unimpressed as to the picture showing bottles and rubbish around the place, will this happen in the new place and what controls will be in place?

I think the idea is good initially but I'm a little concerned with regards the alcoholics having so much money to spend on drink as like druggies/drugs and wondered if the money/benefits etc, should be given directly towards the Center instead, or that coupons be given for clothing etc, so that they haven't got the opportunity of wasting the tax payers money on 'NONE ESSENTIALS'. Maybe clothing from the Charity shops can be used?

I hope the place can be used to get people onto firmer foundations and back into some sort of normal lifestyle and hope that this center is away from the main areas of the town, so that holiday makers can enjoy what the island has to offer, without seeing certain embarrassments which we'd rather them avoid.

I still stand by my opinion that any one of us could potentially end up homeless, either through mental breakdown, bad fortune, addiction or lots of other reasons, this is why I try to be as sympathetic as possible.

Quite right. I agree 100%. It could happen to anyone. All it needs is a little twist of fate or two and bang, you're gone.

Maybe we could make them trendy and then HH could cover the prom in "yuppie" drop in centres with Wifi and Sky which would cure the problem. The way property prices are going I'm surprised that nobody has thought of it already .. no one can afford to buy or rent so executive drop zones might be the next new thing.

We're shown into a room which John describes as the dining room. Rubbish dominates one side of the room, but, as Graham says, they don't have a bin so where do they put their rubbish?

how about in a bin outside down the street?

Clothes are also strewn about the room.

'We discard our clothes because we go up to the church and they give us clean clothes,' John explains.

perhaps if took their old ones with them back to the church, kinda like a donation they might get them back nice and clean!

while I guess if could happen to any of us, I'd like to think most of us would put a bit more effort in to getting back on track, than sitting around drinking white lightening and moaning that there is no bin

in provided for our empties.

oh an ffs if they have running water in the sink its not going to be rocket science to get the toilet working again, filthy fuckers shitting on the floor are there no public toilets on the island.

More estimates of the problem and what is being done.

FACTFILE

» A Homeless Multi Agency Task Force, including government departments, faith groups, the voluntary sector, police and probation was formed in 2005.

» One of the difficulties in addressing homelessness was that there was only anecdotal evidence of the number of people with housing problems.

» It is estimated that there are about 40 people in and around Douglas who have nowhere to live and are sleeping rough.

» Between 200 and 300 individuals or families are thought to have housing problems that can lead to their leaving home because of violence in the family, financial problems or bad housing.

» The Manx Community Housing Trust, which provides short term accommodation, has a case load of 150 to 180.

» It is not known to what extent the data held by different agencies overlap.

» A public meeting was held in April to form a homeless charity.

2 say there is a homeless problem in the I.O.M is only partially true 2 a certain exstent as although they are homless there is "homes" for people 2 live in.

Unfortunatley the undelying problem is alcoholism! :(

These people who are homless have drink problems + so they "need" drink before they will pay for + "need" accomadation.

These people are in urgent need of help for there alcohol addiction, once they are helped with this you help them with there homeless problems.

Beneath virtually all alcohol issues ect there are underlying emotinal problems + they need help with this also.

So in summery treat the cause ie alcoholiosm instead of treating the symptoms which is homelessness.

Just because they are homless does NOT mean they should not be entitled 2 benefits, its not there fault that they need cider! help them with there difficulties + problems is the order of the day!!! :)

Edited by Steven

I think steven is right in everything he is saying.

Its a fact the isle of man is full of alco's

I talked to a doctor ages ago about the islands drink problem and he said its the biggest problem they tend to see.

Also like every addict the only thing they think of is the addiction, everything else is forgotten about.

Lock them up and dry them out, feeling sorry for them is only a cop out they started drinking nobody forced them to live like it.

Like everything these days they need a nursemaid to wipe there @rses.

Yes lets have a hostel for them but they need to sort out thier problems too other wise its a government funded holiday park

I was reading a report about the underage binge drink culture on the isle of man + uk - shocking!

Its interesting 2 note that in countries which endorse alcohol ie wine ect as part of there normal culture ie spain italy ect you dont see these alcohol binge problems dispite there tendencyies towards animal creulty which is obviously detrimental towards peoples outlook on life.

But im a little concered by these high court judges who just lock people up who have 2 steal ect 2 finance there drink addiction, when in reality these people need help not punishment.

They have 2 drink for a reason!!!

Just because someone breaks the law it does not nessacerilly mean they have done anything wrong!

Im not sure judges are the most suitable people 2 deal with these kinda problems, in fact there the most inappropraite!

Edited by Steven