Quick Healthy Meals

Stavros

what was the old saying about "roast on sunday, cold on monday, minced on tuesday, .......... curried on friday..." ?

can't remember it exactly but something like that !

maybe not the most child-friendly manu but probably quite healthy and economical

Isn't that a Craig David song?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good old versatile mince!! Spag Bol, Chilli, mince and tatties. All quick and easy to make and they need no chewing just what kids like!

Just keep in the basic ingredients - mince, onion, garlic, chilli powder, oxo cubes, chopped toms. tom puree, pasta, rice, potatoes!

Then you're ready to produce any of three choices and each only takes half hour and low in calories! The mince part of the dish can be prepared in advance and re heats well so you would only need to boil pasta, rice or spuds!

Jacket Potatoes (cooked in Microwave) is healthy, cheap, fast and easy too! You can add all sorts to the potato too - baked beans, cheese, coleslaw, tuna, sausages, chicken, sweetcorn etc

Salad is also pretty easy and healthy too. You can even buy ready prepared bags of salad. Just add the flavour of day eg Tuna Salad, Cheese Salad, Ham Salad, Chicken Salad etc.

Bon Appetite!

:P

No offense Cambon, but pepperami??!!??

That is one of the most unhealthiest things you could put in your mouth! Full of msg and sodium nitrates ---- its one of the most evil of processed foods!

Ah, but there is a reason. This dish is about trying to get the kids to eat heathy. Each portion will only contain half a peperami stick, but the amount of flavour it puts into the dish is huge. The rest of the dish is low fat and contains 2 portions of fruit/veg per person.

The thing is kids love it, so that little bit of bad is in fact doing a lot of good.

With your stir fry, try adding a little bit of dry sherry. Soy sauce and sherry mixed gives a great oriental flavour.

You're all so evil trying to get your kids to eat green, healthy stuff....

Last Tuesday, hubby went to "the gym" (code for shagging someone who isn't me, I believe) so me and the kids got a dvd, a pot noodle each, £12 worth of sweets and popcorn, stayed up late and binged. It was ace and now my kids love Mummy more than Daddy. Ha.

My kids are healthier eaters than me. If you offered em a grape or a choccie, they'd take the grape. If I suggest MaccyD's they look at me with some distaste. Seems to be quite well drilled into em at school these days?

My kids are healthier eaters than me. If you offered em a grape or a choccie, they'd take the grape. If I suggest MaccyD's they look at me with some distaste. Seems to be quite well drilled into em at school these days?

You're not wrong, they're pretty clued up on healthy food. They get a great menu at school too, much better than when I was there. Mine will eat more or less anything, the little one isn't too fussed on spicy food, korma and mild chilli is about as spicy as it gets but variations are easy to do for him. He won't eat fajitas because he finds them too hot so he gets fried chicken and veg minus the mix, it's all good.

They do eat McDonalds but prefer fruit bags, carrot sticks and fruit juice to fries and coke.

Archived