Quick Healthy Meals

Stavros

Okay, since realising that I'm actually a parent and that whislt kebabs are probably not the healthiest and most nutritious meal to serve to your kids everyday. I decided that I would cook healthy meals each and every evening. Then it struck me that by the time I get in after a long days work and all the other commitments, it was usually quite late. I then have to do the essential things like open a few beers and laugh at the crap I've been posted. There's not much time / motivation left after all that.

So I decided that I would be creative for the modern world and that there must be quick healthy meals available and could be from cooker to table well within half an hour.

My creative side has so far figured out that tuna pasta bake, whilst I don't like it, the kids love it and it's a great start. If I make enough of it, it'll even last for two days. That's basically Monday and Tuesday taken care off and as it's Friday I think a pizza or some other junk food is in order. That leaves Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday is usually a roast dinner or some derivative so that's not going to be a problem.

What I really want to know is what is your bestest, quickest, healthiest meal?

Yes, I only really want to know because I want to steal your knowledge and feed my family quickly. That in turn leaves me more time to drink more beer as slowly as I like. I can even slouch on the sofa burping, farting, drinking my beer and hogging the remote for the rest of night.

Thanks for listening!

Stav.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right!

Put a large pan half full of water and half a teaspoon of salt on to boil. While is is heating up, peel and chop an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, and open a tin of tomatos (in their own juice), or wash and chop up 4 fresh tomatos. Take the plastic off and chop up a Peperami stick. Water should be just boiling. Put 250 grammes of dried spaghetti into the boiling water.

In a frying pan (medium heat), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil, and add the onions and Peperami stick. After 2 minutes add the garlic. After 1 minute add the tomatos and stir. leave to cook for a few minutes.

When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and put back in the pan (no heat now), and stir in the contents of the frying pan. Add black pepper, salt and crushed chillies to taste.

Serves 2 at around 500 calories per person. takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook.

edited - forgot about crushed chillies

Hows that?

Right!

Put a large pan half full of water and half a teaspoon of salt on to boil. While is is heating up, peel and chop an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, and open a tin of tomatos (in their own juice), or wash and chop up 4 fresh tomatos. Take the plastic off and chop up a Peperami stick. Water should be just boiling. Put 250 grammes of dried spaghetti into the boiling water.

In a frying pan (medium heat), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil, and add the onions and Peperami stick. After 2 minutes add the garlic. After 1 minute add the tomatos and stir. leave to cook for a few minutes.

When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and put back in the pan (no heat now), and stir in the contents of the frying pan. Add black pepper, salt and crushed chillies to taste.

Serves 2 at around 500 calories per person. takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook.

edited - forgot about crushed chillies

Hows that?

I was also going to suggest pasta - nothing better except maybe a decent kipper.

If you're really lazy, like I am, but don't want to eat horrible processed crap all the time, then those fish-in-sauce in the bags are pretty good, along with some frozen veggies.

Two bags of white fish fillet in butter sauce (less than 5% fat) take about 7 minutes in the microwave, followed up by one of those Birds Eye steamer veggie microwave bags which takes 3 minutes (2 portions of veg in one of those).

End result is in 10 minutes you've got a healthy and really rather tasty meal.

Sometimes I make some Smash to go with it, which pads it out to a proper meal.

I've sampled many a risotto from various chefs, both pro and amateur, and none as far as I know prepared using hands lacking opposable thumbs (or maybe that's your secret stock ingredient?,, lol... ) I'd say about twenty five per cent were damn tasty, fifty per cent disappointing and the rest barely edible. The best of course, in my opinion, is my own recipe.

Grilled lean meat is dead easy and with some frozen veg simmered for a few minutes it's a healthy & tasty meal that's piss to make and tastes great.

Frozen veg is cheap, and you don't have to get the best cuts of meat, just make sure they're not laden with fat (even though it adds to the taste of course). Skinless chicken/turkey is healthiest.

Stir frys are pretty good in terms of being healthy but I don't mean chucking in a jar of uncle ben's sugar sauce. Tesco do big bags of stir fry veg that's cheap and tasty - again, grill a bit of meat (15-20 minutes) or cut into thin strips & chuck in with the stir fry. Grab some tortillas or something too and you can just stick the separate bits out on the table and the kids can make up their own fajitas/tortillas.

Chilli is good too. Not using Guatamalan insane chillies or anything, just get some lean mince, brown it in a saucepan with a drop of oil (a few minutes), then chuck in tinned tomatoes, a bit of tomato puree, a tin of red kidney beans and chilli powder as required. Ready in 15-20 minutes, and you can chuck in any stuff you want by way of extra veg/mushrooms etc. Get some rice on the boil at the same time and you're done.

Cous-cous is probably the ultimate easy food. You just dunk it in boiling water, switch the heat off and leave it a few minutes. A great substitution for rice or pasta/spuds etc. The kids will quickly realise it's not minging either, even if they instinctively "don't like it" because it's different.

Wish I would follow some of my own food advice.

If you're really lazy, like I am, but don't want to eat horrible processed crap all the time, then those fish-in-sauce in the bags are pretty good, along with some frozen veggies.

Two bags of white fish fillet in butter sauce (less than 5% fat) take about 7 minutes in the microwave, followed up by one of those Birds Eye steamer veggie microwave bags which takes 3 minutes (2 portions of veg in one of those).

Eh?? Having stated that you don't want to eat processed food you then go on to suggest a recipe consisting entirely of processed food. Bon Appetit! lol...........

Grilled lean meat is dead easy and with some frozen veg simmered for a few minutes it's a healthy & tasty meal that's piss to make and tastes great.

Frozen veg is cheap, and you don't have to get the best cuts of meat, just make sure they're not laden with fat (even though it adds to the taste of course). Skinless chicken/turkey is healthiest.

Stir frys are pretty good in terms of being healthy but I don't mean chucking in a jar of uncle ben's sugar sauce. Tesco do big bags of stir fry veg that's cheap and tasty - again, grill a bit of meat (15-20 minutes) or cut into thin strips & chuck in with the stir fry. Grab some tortillas or something too and you can just stick the separate bits out on the table and the kids can make up their own fajitas/tortillas.

Chilli is good too. Not using Guatamalan insane chillies or anything, just get some lean mince, brown it in a saucepan with a drop of oil (a few minutes), then chuck in tinned tomatoes, a bit of tomato puree, a tin of red kidney beans and chilli powder as required. Ready in 15-20 minutes, and you can chuck in any stuff you want by way of extra veg/mushrooms etc. Get some rice on the boil at the same time and you're done.

Cous-cous is probably the ultimate easy food. You just dunk it in boiling water, switch the heat off and leave it a few minutes. A great substitution for rice or pasta/spuds etc. The kids will quickly realise it's not minging either, even if they instinctively "don't like it" because it's different.

Wish I would follow some of my own food advice.

Culinary expertise from the man who invented the "Bap Bap" :lol:

Eh?? Having stated that you don't want to eat processed food you then go on to suggest a recipe consisting entirely of processed food. Bon Appetit! lol...........

OK then, a slightly higher class of processed food.

I did say I was very lazy when it comes to such matters.

(The veggies aren't processed though, they're just flash frozen veggies with no crap done to them.)

There's a good argument that flash frozen veggies are actually better for you than store bought fresh produce because the freezing process doesn't damage any nutrients so it's just like plucking them from the ground and putting them on your plate.

Archived