Quick Healthy Meals

Stavros

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tinned tuna could be your saviour

Drain & flake into a salad made with chunks of: red pepper, beef tomato, spring onion, rinsed kidney beans. then mix with either rice or cous cous

The trick in making this deliciously morish rather than barely edible is the dressing, 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard + half teaspoon of honey + half cup of white wine vinegar + 1 cup olive oil

Shake this together in a clean jar and it will keep for weeks

Spoon the shaken dressing on the salad at about 2 tablespoons per serving

I promise you that this will get kids to eat salad

Save all the spuds & carrot left from the Sunday lunch and mix it with finely chopped onion & parsley & 1 egg & canned tuna

Roll into balls, squash the balls into roundy shaped things

Fry for three minutes a side & serve with chips, rice, buttered new potatoes etc etc

You still have ten minutes left to chop up a few bananas and knock them together with double cream & dessicated coconut

They sound hella tasty, but I won't find out as my mrs is a bloody veggie so I never get a roast except a few times a year at my mum's. :(

I suspect the yanks at least might refer to the 'roundy shaped things' as patties.

They sound hella tasty, but I won't find out as my mrs is a bloody veggie so I never get a roast except a few times a year at my mum's. :(

I suspect the yanks at least might refer to the 'roundy shaped things' as patties.

They're roundy shaped things where I come from and tell your missus that fish are classified as veg being as they are slimy and cold rather than furry and warm

You could also tell her that vegetarians are just fussy eaters who were indulged as children, anyone who has been truly hungry could never be a vegetarian.

It's a poncy middle class thing tied in with holistic healing and all that dreadful spiritual shite

Jesus Chop, boil in the bag? That fish fresh takes 2 mins to cook, and a parsley sauce is just flour, milk, butter and some dried parsley, I recon I could make it quicker than your micro nukes that disgusting plastic bag.

Anyway, my quick cheapies:

Hummous & pitta - tin of chick peas, squirt of lemon juice, olive oil, bit of water, garlic and some salt n pepper in the lipsquidizer and you have fresh hummous. Serve it with a hot pitta and some shredded lettuice, yum!

You can make an ace similar meal with smoked mackeral, just bung it in the blender with some cottage cheese and lemon juice and you have a yum fresh fish pate

Old fave is shepards pie, what i love about this is you can make it with anything you have in, spuds and mince are your staple but bung frozen peas in, sweet pots, carrots, mushrooms, bacon, whatever. Takes no time and can last a couple of days.

Finally, hard to beat soup for cost effectiveness. Start with a good base of celery, leek or onions fried in butter, add any other veg you want and some stock, bosh.

Save all the spuds & carrot left from the Sunday lunch and mix it with finely chopped onion & parsley & 1 egg & canned tuna

Bloody kids, if you make burgers out of tuna as above and call them 'crabbie patties' like on spongebob, they'll wolf em down. Present em as tuna burgers, they wont go near the damn things.

Jesus Chop, boil in the bag? That fish fresh takes 2 mins to cook, and a parsley sauce is just flour, milk, butter and some dried parsley, I recon I could make it quicker than your micro nukes that disgusting plastic bag.

Anyway, my quick cheapies:

Hummous & pitta - tin of chick peas, squirt of lemon juice, olive oil, bit of water, garlic and some salt n pepper in the lipsquidizer and you have fresh hummous. Serve it with a hot pitta and some shredded lettuice, yum!

You can make an ace similar meal with smoked mackeral, just bung it in the blender with some cottage cheese and lemon juice and you have a yum fresh fish pate

Old fave is shepards pie, what i love about this is you can make it with anything you have in, spuds and mince are your staple but bung frozen peas in, sweet pots, carrots, mushrooms, bacon, whatever. Takes no time and can last a couple of days.

Finally, hard to beat soup for cost effectiveness. Start with a good base of celery, leek or onions fried in butter, add any other veg you want and some stock, bosh.

I fail to see how any of that would work well in a microwave.

Moreover, Shoprite have had 4-packs of zap-in-a-bag fish on BOGOF offers for months, it'd be silly not to take advantage! (And anyway, I hate real fish, what with its eyes and scales and general "Ooooohhhh look I was actually once alive and happy in the sea!" posture, I like food to be in simple geometric shapes, so it bears no resemblance whatsoever to any living creature.)

I fail to see how any of that would work well in a microwave.

Fuck the microwave, its for warming shit up not cooking with. Learn to eat a meal without it.

Moreover, Shoprite have had 4-packs of zap-in-a-bag fish on BOGOF offers for months, it'd be silly not to take advantage! (And anyway, I hate real fish, what with its eyes and scales and general "Ooooohhhh look I was actually once alive and happy in the sea!" posture, I like food to be in simple geometric shapes, so it bears no resemblance whatsoever to any living creature.)

So sad, you're an animal, you're supposed to eat other animals. That fish died for you, show it some respect! If you haven't got the minerals, buy the fish in fillets, it'll just look like that shit thats bagged.

Try and make a fresh parsley sauce, it's so piss easy and there's just a world apart in taste, and it's better for you.

Very quick and tasty is pasta twists (fusilli) cooked, drained then mixed with some drained tuna in brine, a desertspoon of mayo (low fat if you are worried about such things ) and a sprinkle of chopped dried chives. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan. Never any left over in our house and very easy to make.

Right!

Put a large pan half full of water and half a teaspoon of salt on to boil. While is is heating up, peel and chop an onion and 3 cloves of garlic, and open a tin of tomatos (in their own juice), or wash and chop up 4 fresh tomatos. Take the plastic off and chop up a Peperami stick. Water should be just boiling. Put 250 grammes of dried spaghetti into the boiling water.

In a frying pan (medium heat), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil, and add the onions and Peperami stick. After 2 minutes add the garlic. After 1 minute add the tomatos and stir. leave to cook for a few minutes.

When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and put back in the pan (no heat now), and stir in the contents of the frying pan. Add black pepper, salt and crushed chillies to taste.

Serves 2 at around 500 calories per person. takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook.

edited - forgot about crushed chillies

Hows that?

No offense Cambon, but pepperami??!!??

That is one of the most unhealthiest things you could put in your mouth! Full of msg and sodium nitrates ---- its one of the most evil of processed foods!

My advice would be a good stir-fry. You can buy most of the veggies involved in those pre-packed trays in the veggie isle -- i know both tesco and shoprite do them. Get yourself some prawns or chicken and do up a stir fry --- maybe adding some broccolli and only adding a dash of olive and a dash of sesame oil ---- a little goes a looooong way. And then just a dash of low sodium soy sauce. You'll find its quite the party in your mouth and you realise you don't need to drench it in all those crazy sauces

And remember, its a good idea when trying to go healthy not to try and change all your eating habits overnight --- try first just making a goal of taking in your 5 portions of fruit and veg every single day. That's a really easy first goal. Then try and work to making sure at least 3 of those portions are raw fruit or veg. Then try adding a side salad with your dinner and so on ---- before long your palate will change itself and you find you start actually craving healthy foods and eating processed foods tastes narley. Trust me I speak from experience ---- i used to hate eating healthy.

Archived