Stu Peters Gets Put In His Place Over Airport Runaway

nipper

perhaps an edited version was put into the public domain if indeed it was the darwin report i'd heard talk of and not a previous one? i do like 'ceding the youth market to Energy FM ' bit. is that the same as 'conceding' once MR's arguments against allowing another local radio station were not enough to stop it happening. advertising on MR was the cheapest it had been for years in the denied price war with energy.. and energy is still going against all MR's predictions. the down side is that it is the public that bail out MR cos the govenment won't let it fold, so in a way energy is costing the taxpayer and MR still can't price energy out of existance with its blank cheque backup...

You're being hysterical. I seriously doubt Manx Radio is deliberately trying to crush Energy. In fact, since it does receive public financing (in order to provide public service broadcasting, rather than 'bail it out') there seems no real need for it to pursue such an aggressive policy.

You are just looking for conspiracy, corruption and waste, and, having not found any, you have made some up.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the extra car park at the airport is to cost another million or so too.

How the feck does enough tarmac to park 250 cars or so cost a million bloody quid?!!!!

I think it's only 200 spaces. that equals £5000 per space, how much is a years parking costing these days in Douglas?

I think it's around a fiver a day to park at the airport - so it will take around 3 years to pay for itself and start turning a profit. Not a bad business plan.

£5 * 200 (spaces) * 365 (days) * 3 (yrs) = £1,095,000

zero interest and assuming 100% utilisation 365 days a year. ;)

Where are they expecting the demand to come from? All the new tourists from all the carriers who will be flocking to fly to IoM? If anything wouldn't it be the locals leaving?

perhaps an edited version was put into the public domain if indeed it was the darwin report i'd heard talk of and not a previous one? i do like 'ceding the youth market to Energy FM ' bit. is that the same as 'conceding' once MR's arguments against allowing another local radio station were not enough to stop it happening. advertising on MR was the cheapest it had been for years in the denied price war with energy.. and energy is still going against all MR's predictions. the down side is that it is the public that bail out MR cos the govenment won't let it fold, so in a way energy is costing the taxpayer and MR still can't price energy out of existance with its blank cheque backup...

You're being hysterical. I seriously doubt Manx Radio is deliberately trying to crush Energy. In fact, since it does receive public financing (in order to provide public service broadcasting, rather than 'bail it out') there seems no real need for it to pursue such an aggressive policy.

You are just looking for conspiracy, corruption and waste, and, having not found any, you have made some up.

triskelion, well done for at least being able to make even a semblance of 'sense' (sic) out of the previous posters ramblings to recognise the conspiracy aspect.

Where are they expecting the demand to come from? All the new tourists from all the carriers who will be flocking to fly to IoM? If anything wouldn't it be the locals leaving?

Well unlesss the tourists intend to fly their cars to the island, in order to park them at the airport, I think it is safe to say that the demand will be from locals.

triskelion, well done for at least being able to make even a semblance of 'sense' (sic) out of the previous posters ramblings to recognise the conspiracy aspect.

I'm still puzzling over that. I'd have thought MR ought to be competing with Energy and every other radio station and other business which might take away from its advertising revenue. 'Crush' might be a bit gung-ho, but competing is surely sensible. If they didn't I'd be worried. I don't know you have to think of business competition as a conspiracy (though there may be a secret plan to win more business (company confidential stuff and all that).

So as a conspiracy theory, it strikes me as one of the least sensational or incredible - a bit boring really.

Well unlesss the tourists intend to fly their cars to the island, in order to park them at the airport, I think it is safe to say that the demand will be from locals.

So either there is a huge unmet demand for parking at the airport, or for some as yet unknown reason, the number of locals who drop off someone at the airport, or who park and fly is going to dramatically increase.

(IMO a good airport shuttle bus service is far more attractive option - 12 seater minibus, pick up or drop off from your door to the airport for a fixed price according to zone.)

:D

I have to say, it is not often that you go into the car park and easily find a space, so the demand does seem to be there.

I have to say, it is not often that you go into the car park and easily find a space, so the demand does seem to be there.

Maybe there is a need for more carparking spaces. But it might be it's not easy to find a space because it is nearly full to capacity - but cars are not being turned away. (But there probably ought to be put in place a system to assign free space to you, rather than you having to hunt for it). Whether the demand is enough to make this viable depends on how much lost revenue there is - if only a couple of thousand cars are turned away a year, then the lost revenue is about £10k. If it was twenty thousand being turned away a year, then a £1m carpark with 200 spaces would probably make sense - at a rough estimate.

1.But it might be it's not easy to find a space because it is nearly full to capacity - but cars are not being turned away.

2. But there probably ought to be put in place a system to assign free space to you, rather than you having to hunt for it.

1. How do you know that cars are not being turned away, there is already one overflow car park?

2. Pray, what system would you suggest and how would that compare with the cost of the additional car park?

Pardon me if this appears rude, but you seem to have an opinion on just about everything to do with the Isle of Man. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, in fact there should be more opinionated people, but what is your connection with the Isle of Man and on what basis do you make these statements, apparently, as fact?

it was similar to telecon. high prices, objections to propoosed competition blah blah, and as soon as the competition arrived the price dropped to the public for the services. its not a conspiracy, it happened. there are other businesses that don't have competition,like the MEA and steam racket. if they did costs to the public would be cheaper. we keep hearing about freedom to flourish and a free market economy, but it is a protected market at our expense.

:D

there is usually room in the current overflow carpark, it is to the left on the in road from the roundabout, but it is too far away for anyone to want to park in with luggage to carry so the main park is chocca so people say the place is full.

An independent in depth study has been done which shows it to be a total waste of tax payers money and nothing more than an ego trip for its proponents.

Can you elaborate on this study - who did it, who commissioned it, summary and main findings, is it publicly available, any links if published online etc.

i think that atleast one person in authority has the details, but if they are ever allowed into the public domain would be another matter. a bit like the rumoured one done on manx radio years ago that recommended getting rid of a few staff and downsizing.

Another interesting fact that an EMAS (mechanical means of preventing overruns and something many airports in america favour as land for extensions is not readily available ) does not appear to have been considered. An EMAS is 89% effective at preventing aircraft overruns as compared to 84% effective for a RESA (FAA research) would fit on what we have and comply with the "perhaps" mandatory requirements and of course much cheaper !

Here's how you get something like this approved,

1. Commission a report designed from page 1 to support a desired conclusion.

2. Produce a business case which cannot hold water.

3. Put a presentation to the public and MHK's showing only the bits you want them to see.

4. When business case is shot full of holes bang on about the safety aspect.

It is very difficult for people to vote against a project when the issue of safety becomes paramount especially when it requires a degree of technical knowledge which they do not have.

1.But it might be it's not easy to find a space because it is nearly full to capacity - but cars are not being turned away.

2. But there probably ought to be put in place a system to assign free space to you, rather than you having to hunt for it.

1. How do you know that cars are not being turned away, there is already one overflow car park?

2. Pray, what system would you suggest and how would that compare with the cost of the additional car park?

Pardon me if this appears rude, but you seem to have an opinion on just about everything to do with the Isle of Man. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, in fact there should be more opinionated people, but what is your connection with the Isle of Man and on what basis do you make these statements, apparently, as fact?

Oh dear Glad, you're showing your - "there's a boat in the morning" side - I have one too and agree with you wholeheartedly. ;)

Another interesting fact that an EMAS (mechanical means of preventing overruns and something many airports in america favour as land for extensions is not readily available ) does not appear to have been considered. An EMAS is 89% effective at preventing aircraft overruns as compared to 84% effective for a RESA (FAA research) would fit on what we have and comply with the "perhaps" mandatory requirements and of course much cheaper !

Here's how you get something like this approved,

1. Commission a report designed from page 1 to support a desired conclusion.

2. Produce a business case which cannot hold water.

3. Put a presentation to the public and MHK's showing only the bits you want them to see.

4. When business case is shot full of holes bang on about the safety aspect.

It is very difficult for people to vote against a project when the issue of safety becomes paramount especially when it requires a degree of technical knowledge which they do not have.

What he said (again). This option seems to have been pretty much ignored.

Archived