Teeth

lfc84

Energy FM news report.......

Shocking number of young children with tooth decay

Over half of the Island’s five year olds suffer from tooth decay.

Kids in the Isle of Man are worse off than children in the UK where the number suffering dental cavities is 38% – here it’s 52%.

The shocking figure is revealed as the DHSS announces a seminar is to be held for parents and carers of young children.

The talk will give information on the causes of decay and its prevention.

It’s on at the Keyll Darree Lecture Theatre on 8th November from 1.30pm until 3pm or in the evening between 6pm and 7.30pm.

People attending will be given a “dental toolkit”.

FLUORIDE PLEASE !

Edited by lfc84

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's pointless to expect parents to assume some responsibility for a childs bad teeth?

Might not instilling a proper dental hygiene - brushing - cleaning routine ( as was done in times gone by ) help?

Also cutting down on sugar laden sweets etc etc.

Worth repeating

I suppose it's pointless to expect parents to assume some responsibility for a childs bad teeth?

Might not instilling a proper dental hygiene - brushing - cleaning routine ( as was done in times gone by ) help?

Also cutting down on sugar laden sweets etc etc.

Worth repeating

It's always possible to have oral health problems, even with the best of brushing/flossing/whatever routines.

No one's suggesting that parents don't have a responsibility for their child's teeth, but it's important to have easy and free access to a dentist should problems arise.

It is a sad fact that there is a marked correlation between cavities and social inequality.

Cleaning teeth - taking responsibility for maintaining oral hygene - why does it tend to inversely correlate with poverty? Genuine Question. Are people really saying that access to a dentist is different depending on what area of Douglas people live in?

Fluoridization does seem to reduce dental inequality - obviously save-our-water will scream and shout - but the results are very statistically valid.

post-1364-1194021860_thumb.jpg

The effect of water fluoridation and social inequalities on dental caries in 5 year old children

Enough NHS dentists are essential. The solution lies with the Government. It never used to be a problem - obviously is across now but there's no reason the IOM can't resolve the issue here.

Edited by bluemonday

"It never used to be a problem" What? NHS dentists or lots of tooth rot suffered by IOM kids?

I think I'm right to say that since statistics started here in the early 90s, the island has always been a decay hotspot. That was before the decline of NHS dentistry. I agree the gov should break away from the UK NHS dentistry sytem but the only sure way to stop this totally preventable and very common disease is to fluoridate the water. It would take at least a generation but decay could virtually become a think of the past.

"It never used to be a problem" What? NHS dentists or lots of tooth rot suffered by IOM kids?

I think I'm right to say that since statistics started here in the early 90s, the island has always been a decay hotspot. That was before the decline of NHS dentistry. I agree the gov should break away from the UK NHS dentistry sytem but the only sure way to stop this totally preventable and very common disease is to fluoridate the water. It would take at least a generation but decay could virtually become a think of the past.

The statistics in Oral Health Strategy Consultation Document published in January 2000 show the very poor condition of children's teeth here compared to other places.The north west and Northern Ireland were worse.

Almost half the population were 'having trouble with their teeth' and over one third wore dentures of some sort.

Various actions were suggested in this Oral Health Strategy Document but it does not appear to have been implemented.

Does anybody know whether that is true or not? Has anybody seen a copy of the DHSS's Oral Health Policy?

It is pretty obvious to me that the poor state of dental health in the Island is due to inadequate access to dental services, coupled with poor diet and compounded by a singularly lacking drive to promote dental heatlh education from schools upwards. Our shops are saturated with increasing amounts of acidic and sugary foods and our diets are including more and more of these.

I am sure that more people are attending their doctors and the A&E department every day because they are desperate and cannot get easy access to a dentist, and I am fairly certain this is worse than in the UK. The Islands' dentists seem to make more money from cosmetic dentistry than conservative treatments and many are selling us out for this industry.

Compulsory medication of the water supply with fluoride is NOT the answer to our crisis. The real inequality is between our NHS provsion for general health and that for dental health. I am a bit suspicious that it appears that this whole thread has been set up by people who are pushing the government line.

People make a lot of fuss about not getting into dentists, I have never had a problem and we have a lovely dentist. Sweets and fizzy drinks are evil. A childs dental hygene is the parents responsibilty - I know adults who do not brush their teeth and wonder why they have a mouth full of green stuff - nasty.

I'm a lifelong client of the Island's NHS dental service and despite the lack of flouridation and us apparently being in a decay hotspot I have no fillings whatsoever.

Perhaps I brushed my teeth and laid off the fruit shoots as a child. It wasn't hard.

Edited by sarahc

FLUORIDE PLEASE !

Until my teenage years I only drank (school) milk, water and the occasional cup of tea. If I were lucky I might have a diluted orange on special occasions.

Our little cherubs these days need/demand their fizzy sweet drinks and colas. Offer them tea or milk and you are likely to get it thrown back in your face and of course diluted orange is so uncooool.

No need to ask me where I think you should stick your flouridation.

Tempus - I do think so, but to confirm, it would take along time and I agree that we need excellent dental services anyway.

hermes - I agree its not the answer to the present problem but it would certainly reduce the need for dental services in the future. I fully agree with your point on diet. Dental education in schools was tried in the early 90s but I seem to remember it was an uphill struggle. That's no excuse to stop trying however. I'm not pushing any government line and would have no remit to do so anyway.

bees - I enjoy excellent NHS care from Carnane clinic or whatever its new name is. I agree that dental health is a parental responsibility but some parents need help with this. How many times do you see a 2- 3 year old being given some sugary whatever in a shop to keep them quiet? My mother did it and I have poor teeth. This damage would have been limited if I had drunk fluoridated water as a child.

sarahc - whilst I'm happy for you I don't think you can use your personal experience to suggest its the norm. Its a bit like saying smoking is not a problem if you find one person who has smoked 60 a day and lived to be 100. They do exist but they are not the norm. Dental health has improve greatly in the last 50 year but there is a hardcore who still suffer a lifetime of discomfort and expense from one of the singularly most preventable diseases there is. Prevention would save governments and potential patients a fortune never mind all the discomfort. Fluoridated water would play a significant part in that prevention.