Isle Of Man Wiki Site

MarkA

* Edited to include Website URL *

Related to the thread started by Studmuffin here

This thread may well die on its arse but will give it a go.

After reading the poor pubs thread, I was fascinated by a couple of posters historical facts, Duke of Athol living in the (now) Douglas pub, the roundabout collapsing by the police station with old cellars with bottles in it.

There must be so much historical info on the island available to share by posters. We even have fantastic photographers on the forums who could provide pictures to go with interesting anicdotes.

I've seen a lot of threads over the years that have been highly informative about local history with many personal opinions and nostalgia. What a current building used to be, where favourite youthful pastimes used to be undertaken, the name of the butcher that owned a shop before the baker took it over and before it was demolished to make way for offices... etc.

I've often wished there was one place where all these memories could be recorded alongside up to date factual details and after throwing the idea around in my head for a couple of years I think I've come up with the answer which will hopefully become a depositary and resource for all aspects of Island life and history.

The website (based on the same software as Wikipedia) is online and undergoing testing but I'm looking for a few more interested people to help boost the basic content and report any bugs with the extra bits and pieces I am adding to give a better user experience.

Do you honestly think that anyone will remember this in six months time? There are millions of facts about the Isle of Man that are not included in this article because they are too insignificant to mention. This is another.

I am fully aware that Wikipedia has seen an increase of pages over the past couple of years relating to the Isle of Man but I am also aware of the 'proof of fact' that they insist on before they acknowledge that something really existed, or that it is by their definition 'notable'. The above quote irritates me and I've seen similar comments too many times. If an article or comment isn't backed up with 5 pages of Google results they seem to dismiss it as irrelevent.

Unlike Wikipedia I want users to record items that can be considered nostalgia amonst the current factual details as I believe there is a place for it. So much local information exists by word of mouth, or posts on the forum.

If one person wants to add information about the history of a particular building, present or past then great. Timelines can be generated and if anyone has old photos that can illustrate differences between 'then and now' I'd be happy to see them included for the benefit of us all as well.

You can visit the site at http://www.manxwiki.com

Please register and share the knowledge :)

D_HEAD_2.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the site, I look forward to it being up and running. :)

Oh, will it have a ground breaking (at least 20 year old) facility of a rather irritating robotic voice to read stuff out to us like the Isle of Man Government website has reported will have? These computery things can do some amazing stuff these days.

Silly question probably - but what area / era is the photo in the original post?

Edit to add - I just looked closer and realised that it's Douglas Head

Yes, it is Douglas Head. The picture was taken in 1938.

That image was the first time I realised that the Funicular Railway went up so high, I thought it stopped before the path that leads from the right to the Camera Obscura as there is a wall at the top of the stairs. As can be seen on the photo though, the track crosses over the path for a good few more yards.

I've edited the original post now to include the URL, which is http://www.manxwiki.com There is much work to be done, so please have a look and get a feel for the site, then register and add to the content.

Note: Anonymous editing is disabled. Registration is simple and straight forward as long as you enter a valid email address for the verification email.

Was just about to send an email to you when I saw you'd placed the address on here. I haven't been able to get onto the site yet, keep getting a page load error.

Tried it in IE and Firefox but got nothing. I'm going to try it on a different connection today to let you know but I think it may have something to do with access outside the island?

Archived