Apple Iphone And Manx Telecom

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just asking for info, Slinky, there's no need to be snotty.

Im not being snotty Declan and sorry if it came accross that way. I'm just talking about the time and place for i-player, there's plenty of other things I'd use 3G for which don't require so much bandwith.

Download something the night before to itunes or read a book.

Then why buy an expensive 3g device?

I wouldn't have personally and that's the consumers choice. Like I said I'll use the 3G stuff for when I'm out on the road and want contact with the office etc. I was just lucky that work bought me one that's all. We're apple whores anyway at work ;)

Question is - does an O2 phone work on the MT network with an MT SIM without being unlocked???

I don't know the answer to that.

However (related) - AFAIK there is no software unlock for the 3G iPhone. The only solution is a piggy-bag sim card hack. It involves stuffing the another 'special' card the same size as a sim in to the slot with your sim card. And it's a right old botch according to the review which I saw.

actually not the only solution if your willing to go the distance and pay a lot of money you can go to France and buy a properly unlocked iPhone that will work on 3G (with the right contract of course)

Here is a simple question.

Can you buy an Apple iPhone from Manx Telecom outright?

I am already a MT contract customer and don't want to extend my contract any further but would like to purchase an iPhone to use with my existing contract sim.

I presume those who purchase an iPhone under contract would need to pay some kind of fee to get out of the contract if they wished (which is likely to either require them to return the phone to MT or pay the retail value of the phone?)

You know what? Think i'll just call them. lol.

Well let us know how you get on - that will save me calling them. I'm interested in getting the phone to use with my existing contract but do not want the unlimited data package.

Well let us know how you get on - that will save me calling them. I'm interested in getting the phone to use with my existing contract but do not want the unlimited data package.

why wouldn't you want an unlimited data package?

I promise you if/when you get an iphone and you don't have unlimited, 1 month down the line you will regret it

Right basically here is the rundown.

Currently I am on an 18 month contract (£45 per month)

I can not purchase an iPhone outright to use with my existing contract sim. It sounds like (and i haven't confirmed this with MT) I could purchase the iPhone for £420.00 on a 30-day contract, cancel the contract after the first 30 days and then use my existing contract SIM (assuming they allow more than one contract per person?)

I haven't checked that this is possible yet as this a back-handed kind of scheme.

My only other choice is to buy out of my existing contract (roughly going to cost £320) then go on the 30 day contract iPhone setup (another £420) making a grand total of £740.00 MINIMUM!

Why do MT have to make it so hard for me to want to spend money with them?

Why can't they say "hey, this guy pays £70 a month (yes £70 optional payment.. i call New Zealand more than I really should lol) and he wants an iPhone, how bout we give it to him, or atleast sub the price"

edit: ok so maybe not give it to him.. but you get what i mean.. look after your customers and all that.

why wouldn't you want an unlimited data package?

I promise you if/when you get an iphone and you don't have unlimited, 1 month down the line you will regret it

No you are wrong.

I want an iPod Touch which is also a mobile. A single device.

For attaching it to the internet I am quite happy to use wifi.

Archived