Apple Iphone And Manx Telecom

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - as usual didn't make myself clear.

Am on the MT simple contract, so I pay 15 quid a month, am not locked into contract and get reasonable amount of texts and minutes plus my data. If I go to an 18 month contact with MT I pay ~ 35 quid a month and get my iPhone for 220 quid. Which equates to an extra 20 quid a month on top of what I'm already paying = £320 + the £220 for the phone which makes £540. Or I could upgrade to a Simple 1200 contract to get my 16Gb option at £420 p/m and £49 quid a month. Ouch. iPhone PAYG on O2 is £391 - so a saving in my warped maths.

Question is - does an O2 phone work on the MT network with an MT SIM without being unlocked???

Question is - does an O2 phone work on the MT network with an MT SIM without being unlocked???

I don't know the answer to that.

However (related) - AFAIK there is no software unlock for the 3G iPhone. The only solution is a piggy-bag sim card hack. It involves stuffing the another 'special' card the same size as a sim in to the slot with your sim card. And it's a right old botch according to the review which I saw.

OK - as usual didn't make myself clear.

Am on the MT simple contract, so I pay 15 quid a month, am not locked into contract and get reasonable amount of texts and minutes plus my data. If I go to an 18 month contact with MT I pay ~ 35 quid a month and get my iPhone for 220 quid. Which equates to an extra 20 quid a month on top of what I'm already paying = £320 + the £220 for the phone which makes £540. Or I could upgrade to a Simple 1200 contract to get my 16Gb option at £420 p/m and £49 quid a month. Ouch. iPhone PAYG on O2 is £391 - so a saving in my warped maths.

I see where the saving comes in, that can be applied to most phones over here because they are not subsidised by the Network.

If you manage to get an unlocked O2 3G phone then it will cost you a fortune using it for data, thats why the package comes with 2gig of mobile data per month included in the monthly contract. If you dont plan on using the phone for data then if you are prepared to take the risk of getting an unlocked one, there are a few people with them and they say for calls and wifi the phone works, email and browsing is another matter :P

2gig per month? I'm a little unclear on what this would mean. For example if I were to watch a 1/2 hour show on iPlayer how much of a gig would that be? Or How many MF threads will 2gig buy?

Average MF page is about 100k, so 20,000 or so page refreshes on mf in 2gb, course it'd be more than that with caching of images and whatnot.

About six half hour tv shows, depending on the quality.

O2 currently running unlimited data (subject to 'fair usage' I suspect :ph34r: ) for an 18 month contract at 30 quid a month or above. Seems quite fair really. They also offer the iPhone at £159 - rather less than the MT price.

Bet MT don't do visual voicemail either.

Oh yeah, and the iPhone 3g doesn't support MMS. Which was a bit of a surprise.

2gig per month? I'm a little unclear on what this would mean. For example if I were to watch a 1/2 hour show on iPlayer how much of a gig would that be? Or How many MF threads will 2gig buy?

Average MF page is about 100k, so 20,000 or so page refreshes on mf in 2gb, course it'd be more than that with caching of images and whatnot.

About six half hour tv shows, depending on the quality.

Picked my 3G I-Phone up today. I'm happy with it and work paid for mine anyway.

But TBH where on the Island would you want to sit and watch i-player on 3G realistically when there are places to connect to wifi? Give me a few real world examples cos all I'm using 3G for is getting the odd email or using some GPS apps when I'm out and about. If I wanted to watch the lastest episode of Doctor Who it can wait til I'm in wifi range - I'm not that desperate to want to pay loads for data transfer.

We've got the SDK kit so going to look at developing some apps - what we don't know yet!

But TBH where on the Island would you want to sit and watch i-player on 3G realistically when there are places to connect to wifi? Give me a few real world examples cos all I'm using 3G for is getting the odd email or using some GPS apps when I'm out and about. If I wanted to watch the lastest episode of Doctor Who it can wait til I'm in wifi range - I'm not that desperate to want to pay loads for data transfer.

We've got the SDK kit so going to look at developing some apps - what we don't know yet!

Aye, I don't think the wireless telcos are charging right for movie downloading yet, your online stuffs for textual still.

Archived