Apple Iphone And Manx Telecom

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if MT will ever stock the Apple iphone and if it will work on the MT network????

I notice Sure C&W are selling them at the mo :huh:

Last 10

At a guess I would say that it wont work on the MT network otherwise MT would have had them in the shop before Sure seeing as MT is just O2 with a different name

I questioned Sure about how come they could sell iPhones as they are tied to O2 in the UK and apparently the O2 agreement was for version 1 iPhone only, as soon as Apple bought out version 2 anybody could sell it - hence Sure have them.

I questioned Sure about how come they could sell iPhones as they are tied to O2 in the UK and apparently the O2 agreement was for version 1 iPhone only, as soon as Apple bought out version 2 anybody could sell it - hence Sure have them.

I wonder whether that is accurate. O2 have the iPhone officially in the UK. AFAIK none of the other operators are selling it - and they would if they could.

The IOM Sure iPhone is perhaps a grey import - as sold by Sure in Jersey. Sure are not an official Apple retailer.

According to this article:

Interestingly - the handsets sold in Jersey, as with all other phones sold in the island will be available unlocked - so you can buy them through Jersey Telecom or Sure and then put another networks sim card in them.

This is because both of those networks are selling the iPhone curtosy of the European provider who is selling stock to the Jersey networks for them to sell on.

This BBC item also seems to indicate that the Sure iPhone (certainly in Jersey) is unlocked and imported from mainland Europe.

BTW - there is still no software SIM unlock available to date for the 3G iPhone. So no point buying a PAYG O2 3G iPhone and hoping to unlock it work on the MT network.

The only solutions involve using piggyback SIM cards (you have to squeeze a SIM tricker in on top of your SIM card - but the last review I read reported that data did not work & various other problems including a risk of physically damaging the SIM slot.

ETA: unlocked 3G iPhones are officially available in Hong Kong and Australia.

They are ace when they work. Unfortunately they are stupid unreliable pieces of shit.

I am now on my second 2G one and it looks to be dying in the same manner as the first did. (wi-fi seems to get stuck on and drains the battery in 2-3 hours)

I will never buy an apple product again

They are ace when they work. Unfortunately they are stupid unreliable pieces of shit.

I am now on my second 2G one and it looks to be dying in the same manner as the first did. (wi-fi seems to get stuck on and drains the battery in 2-3 hours)

I will never buy an apple product again

Is it a hacked one? Do you think that might be a factor? Have you been able to carry on installing the firmware updates, which fix known problems?

I have seen one working on MT 3g, the one i got my hands on did everything apart from order from itunes. In all fairness they are shit, there are so many better phones out there but as usual its not about the product, its about the marketing.

What do you not like about them and which phones do you believe have similar functionality but are better ?

Archived