Apple Iphone And Manx Telecom

for example htc touch hd ,iphone killer

But - it's a Windows Mobile phone. Deal killer!

What do you not like about them and which phones do you believe have similar functionality but are better ?

Blackberry Storm is on the way shortly, that looks to be pretty good.

Has no WIFI.

Requires RIM account?

>>

I do not own an iPhone. But the iPod Touch, which is very similar, is an excellent device IMO. iPod functionality + excellent Safari browser + applications. And Apple is still ahead of the herd in terms of interface design.

If Manx Telecom did iPhones I would probably get one. But I don't want something that has been hacked - I want to be able to run updates etc.

But - I still like Symbian OS phones and Google's Android OS has a lot of potential.

Whatever phone anyone chooses - there is no doubt that the iPhone completely changed everything. All of these other phones are trying to get into the same space.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are ace when they work. Unfortunately they are stupid unreliable pieces of shit.

I am now on my second 2G one and it looks to be dying in the same manner as the first did. (wi-fi seems to get stuck on and drains the battery in 2-3 hours)

I will never buy an apple product again

Is it a hacked one? Do you think that might be a factor? Have you been able to carry on installing the firmware updates, which fix known problems?

It is hacked but I don't think that has caused it, both times the fault has developed after plugging it into a dock (2 different docks) which have tried to put the phones into airplane mode.

Both phones fucked up shortly afterwards

I have seen one working on MT 3g, the one i got my hands on did everything apart from order from itunes. In all fairness they are shit, there are so many better phones out there but as usual its not about the product, its about the marketing.

What do you not like about them and which phones do you believe have similar functionality but are better ?

The basic thing it is missing is a video camera, not so much of an issue for most people but the fact that its not there when it could be sends a message. MMS, to send pictures to people that have been taken (from a very basic 2mp camera.) you have to send as email rather than MMS. Thats just the media side of things, the touch screen is a bit guff compared to some of the other handsets out there, in particular the latest samsung ranges (tocco/omnia)

The Iphone as a phone itself is a very poor model, call quality due to the cheap components ect ect. There are loads of other phones on the market that just overshadow the iphone in terms of what they can do and how they can do it. but they are not marketed by people who could make you eat your own shit.

The only reason the iphone changed things is because it was a company branching out into the mobile world, they didnt bring anything new to the mobile market as in new technology, they just brought a brand out that people were mesmorised by and now every phone thats put on the market people have to benchmark against the iphone.

Its in basic terms a popularity contest.

I disagree. I think the iPhone made all other manufacturers rethink their approach to interface design.

Manufacturing and technology wise, it's cheap and unreliable, but it was great design. Like all Apple products really.

Whatever phone anyone chooses - there is no doubt that the iPhone completely changed everything. All of these other phones are trying to get into the same space.

That's just not true sorry because I for one doubt it. I'm sure how you can suggest that the iPhone 'completely changed everything'. It hasn't at all, they've changed one thing which is the user interface. Everything else it can do is low spec compared with other phones but I'll happily admit that the interface and consequent operation of the iphone is probably the best out there, and is indeed aspired to by many other manufacturers.

The new Omnia I got spanks the iPhone in terms of functionality and capability, but it is quite buggy, but whilst it is still a nice interface (that's made a lot better still with a 3rd party app SPBshell), it'll never be quite as tasty as an iPhone. They're different things though that are designed for different people.

If you want drooliness out of the box with no messing but don't care for having a 'pocket pc' then get an iPhone. If you don't mind a bit of meddling to get something that does a lot more and still looks & feels very nice, get something like an Omnia.

You can't really say which is 'better' as they're not meant to do the same as each other.

For the record though I'll go with functionality over form every time though. I've had apple stuff and I don't like it both in terms of reliability and restrictiveness. You can't deny how popular they are though.

The new Omnia I got spanks the iPhone in terms of functionality and capability, but it is quite buggy

Take it back to the shop if it does not work properly. If our fridge was buggy it would go back to the shop. Ditto our house phone. Why should it be acceptable for a cell phone to be buggy?

The new Omnia I got spanks the iPhone in terms of functionality and capability, but it is quite buggy

Take it back to the shop if it does not work properly. If our fridge was buggy it would go back to the shop. Ditto our house phone. Why should it be acceptable for a cell phone to be buggy?

It's generally stuff that can be worked around and resolved, and I'm generally happy enough to do that because I don't mind doing that sort of thing. For others, it could be seen as a serious fail and something that means it's a bad product.

Anyway, it's an unlocked Tmobile one from Ebay that I have flashed with original Samsung Firmware to get rid of the branding. Much nicer now.

Even if I had the option though I wouldn't take it back because it's a superb piece of kit. I don't mind a bit of tinkering to end up with something effectively tailored how I want and doing what I want.

I know what you're saying Old Git about unused functionality but I do use the majority of stuff it can do.

I know what you're saying Old Git about unused functionality but I do use the majority of stuff it can do.

Every time I buy a new phone (not that often) I always intend to master every feature and function of it and really get to know it inside out.

I never do though :(

I'd be surprised if I made 10 phone calls a month on it and never text unless I really have to. I should actually use it more at home to use some of the free minutes

I'll still hang on for an iPod which can make occasional phone calls at a decent price. Might be a long wait though.

Thanks guys for your insight into the iphone, I think I will hang on a bit to see if MT can come up with some sort of package in the future :rolleyes:

You have to admit it looks good and the user interface is spot on, on all accounts?

iphone.jpg

Last Ten

Blackberry Storm is on the way shortly, that looks to be pretty good.

Storm has been purposely built for Vodafone so unless someone manages to unlock it then it wont be much use to us over here :( but I hear that if you wait a little while RIM will be bringing out Storms cousin which wont be locked to Vodafone :D

Vodafone Storm, no wireless

Storms cousin, who knows? There's wireless on a Curve.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived