Car Power Restrictions

Slim

arrr fair enough, just back in the summer i was bombing across the prom burning a few calories and was spotted by another Councillor, who had great pleasure in telling me that there was a speed limit on the cycle path and that i should not go so fast !! I would not mind Mums with prams where over taking me..lol

Na, I took it up with the police at the time, they looked into it and said as far as they can tell there's no limit.

Did the prom walkway on my roadie yesterday and you're safer on the road! Those retractable dog leads are leathal on a bike!

I dont buy the 'speed doesn't kill' line at all. If I come to a sudden stop while travelling 30 the outcome will be very different from a sudden stop at 100. There's no arguing that point, it's pretty basic physics. How is that not speed killing?

Agreed you have more chance of dying the faster you go.... simple

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am inclined to agree.

Of course it's true that you can still driving recklessly in a pissant car with dire consequences, and people will do, but if you want a fast car it makes sense that you do some sort of training/test to demonstrate that you at least have a basic grasp on how to properly control it.

I'm sure it would help. Not just from the training point of view but it might put off some people from getting fast cars (ie if they don't think they should have to do that), and might even prevent some people from getting them if they perform badly.

To make a comparison (albeit not a great one) you see tons of chavs with twist & go mopeds. Yes they're dangerous in their own right if controlled badly, but they can be used with just CBT training.

A lot of the people who ride them like idiots probably never bother doing their bike test and then getting a fast bike because of the hassle involved.

Other people who might be a little bit more serious about them, and appreciate the opportunity of extra testing decide to do their test and progress to something bigger.

Now there's still lots of dodgy bikers about as we know (just as with drivers), but probably a lot less than if you could ride any bike on a provisional like it used to be years ago.

It's not quite the same but it'd make sense to me that higher powered cars require further training for their drivers.

How you'd work it is another thing entirely.

Life's crap without a car.

I tried it after crashing my Nissan Micra years ago.

Your whole life becomes centered on bus timetables. Just a horrible impoverished way to live.

If only we had some way of getting around that wasn't using a combustion engine!

Life's crap without a car.

Your whole life becomes centered on bus timetables. Just a horrible impoverished way to live.

If you like to drive don't buy a Micra.

Or get one like Mrs X has.

get in, shut up, hold on.

Quick trawl of the ROSPA web site comes up with the following accident figures:

Building Contents 679,637

Transport 369,902

Leisure Equipment 750,936

building content, and leisure equipment related accidents are far more common that those related to transport, so lets ban those.

I know far more people that have time off sick from their place of work because of some sort of sporty health freak related injury than people who have been involved in a car accident, and I'm sure that is the case for everyone.

"BAN ALL SPORTS"

Knives are dangerous to, but you try and butter bread with a spoon, not easy... lets not ban knives just yet.

Observation, how come all of them used to be red and now they all seem to be that horrible greenie colour?

I thought they were all white, but actually the're all shite. (see what I did there alright/ all white!!! god thats very funny, and it rhymes too)

Quick trawl of the ROSPA web site comes up with the following accident figures:

Building Contents 679,637

Transport 369,902

Leisure Equipment 750,936

Why don't you search again, but for fatalities this time?

not much point, its totally unscientific due to not knowing how many people are active in each group in the first palce.

Maybe more people die of heart attacks because they're too fat, than people that die who own powerfull cars. You can't legislate for everything in life.

not much point, its totally unscientific due to not knowing how many people are active in each group in the first palce.

Maybe more people die of heart attacks because they're too fat, than people that die who own powerfull cars. You can't legislate for everything in life.

Your own source is meaningless to the discussion then? I know another statistic relating to road fatalities vs other kinds of accidents: nearly half of the road fatalities aren't the person who caused the accident.

You can't legislate for everything in life, but you can legislate to prevent avoidable deaths. It's a balance of course, but you wouldn't let people walk around pointing loaded guns at people, which is the way I feel about a 17 year old in a sportscar.

Fat people should not be allowed to drive fast cars - problem solved.

Your own source is meaningless to the discussion then? I know another statistic relating to road fatalities vs other kinds of accidents: nearly half of the road fatalities aren't the person who caused the accident.

You can't legislate for everything in life, but you can legislate to prevent avoidable deaths. It's a balance of course, but you wouldn't let people walk around pointing loaded guns at people, which is the way I feel about a 17 year old in a sportscar.

My first post was relevent, but trying to brake it down in to more detail might prove difficult.

Archived