Car Power Restrictions

Slim

I agree with the many before.. its the driver/rider not the vehicle.

If we started legislating and banning "things" that people miss used then we would have kitchens without knives, armies without guns (maybe not a bad thing:)), pubs without alcohol....

The only thing you can do is take away someones freedom when they do something wrong... pre empt that by banning everything that COULD cause damage is unneccessary, to you, and that sounds like a miserable place to live.

Maybe parents should be banned from dropping their kids off at school... have you seen their double parking, doors flying open onto the road, sat nattering out their windows... its a danger I tell ya! ;-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why Jim, because it doesn't match your point of view?

If we started legislating and banning "things" that people miss used then we would have kitchens without knives, armies without guns (maybe not a bad thing:)), pubs without alcohol....

Or a ban on guns, or drugs, or dangerous dogs or learners driving high powered bikes.....

Seems to me like there's a double standard here. Why is banning guns acceptable to everyone, yet fast cars is somehow a god given right?

I don't think it is double standards.. I don't like guns much, but know loads of people that use them for clay sport... I don't think its right they are banned cause I don't like them.

A learner driver in a sports car isn't dangerous.. a car is a car is car... drugs aren't always bad.. but some bad people miss use them... the common factor is always the user/person in control.

People seem to think that by taking these things away we will be living in a safe society... wrong.. the careless,miss users,idiots will still be here.

(Just like to state that not everyone that has an accident, is any of the above and certainly none of what I posted is in any reference to the terrible accident in Onchan).

Or a ban on guns, or drugs, or dangerous dogs or learners driving high powered bikes.....

Seems to me like there's a double standard here. Why is banning guns acceptable to everyone, yet fast cars is somehow a god given right?

they banned handguns in the UK (not here) and all they did was to demolish an olympic sport, it's done nothing except make all handguns illegal so now they are sure if they shoot someone with a gun that they weren't entitled to have it rather than have to wonder if they were shooting a legitimate FAC holder.

Of course if you ban sex then there won't be any young people to go crazy behind the steering wheel! Could this be the answer? A safe sexless world...hmmmm

Learners are restricted to 125cc, not high powered in the slightest.

If you are happy driving your cat basket on wheels, good for you. I prefer a smooth, comfortable, safe car it just happens to be fast as well. Most of the time you probably drive faster than I.

What really pisses me off is irresponsible parents who insure kiddies cars for them. The kiddies cannot get insurance for a sports car in their own name so mummy gets it for them. That is how it happens. That is why so many young inexperienced people drive cars they don't know how to control.

Why Jim, because it doesn't match your point of view?

My point of view is the same as many other people have, you can't just go round banning things willy nilly fore the sole reason that in the wrong hands they might be dangerous.

were do you stop, do we put a fence round the Island so no one can fall of a cliff, or drown in the sea?

Just re reading the thred you didn't ask for powerfull cars to be banned so thats ok then!

My point of view is the same as many other people have, you can't just go round banning things willy nilly fore the sole reason that in the wrong hands they might be dangerous.

were do you stop, do we put a fence round the Island so no one can fall of a cliff, or drown in the sea?

Just re reading the thred you didn't ask for powerfull cars to be banned so thats ok then!

No, I said they should be restricted. To be clear, they should be more restricted.

People are posting like this is a new concept, but vehicles are already restricted in multiple ways, from power to safety features to emissions, yet any talk about increasing those restrictions have people talking like they're having their freedoms taken away. This is all just degrees of restrictions already in place, isn't it?

Cambon, you're under an illusion of safety, you fell for the marketing. Well played dimbo! :)

Who needs a fast car on the Island?

Cos it's not like we ever take our cars to the adjacent islands, where ironically the maximum speed limit it 70mph?

Incidentally, when I was in the UK last weekend in my car, which I think is insurance group 20, and I was amazed at how many Golfs and Fiestas, etc, were overtaking me at well over the maximum speed limit when the outside air temperature was minus 2.5 c

Is a Golf or a Fiesta driven at that speed in those conditions somehow automatically less dangerous than my Porsche?

Or is it purely down to the driver?

Subtle, Old Git drives Porsche and gets overtaken by Golf and Fiesta. That's not something you don't see everyday!

My everyday car is a oldish Renault diesel

I had plenty of time to get to Heysham for the boat so I was sticking to the limit and watching loads of other cars go belting past in freezing conditions, wondering how they'd cope if they hit a patch of ice

Archived