Car Power Restrictions

Slim

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's been said before that the most dangerous part of a car is the nut holding the wheel, the driver is responsible for what the car does

Sadly (from experience) when you're young and male it's usually the other two nuts that dictate how you drive.

And an all Island speed limit too...... :(

Cmon lets not have a knee jerk reaction against a certain type of vehicle because it happens to be in an accident.

Thin end of a very large wedge.

Cherry picking "facts" out of this terrible accident isnt going to help anyone.

have to agree on this,

u should be able to drive what car u like, if u can affored the insurance and the car, so be it, all cars are dangours in the hands of everyone that drives them, not just the 300bhp ones,

it's just slim and his homer simpson esque safety drive

why rise to his knee jerk conservative shit

from the man who brought you cycle speed limits on the prom... jesus wept...

Everyone I know who has taken advanced driving instruction, and I know a few, are absolute wankers who just feel able to lecture others on how to drive, but aren't actually that good themselves. They actually exacerbate the problems by perpetuating the myth that these high powered clown mobiles can be just the job in the right hands, and the impressionable youth aspire to be like these petrol swilling morons. Imagine having to be taught how to do things right! God I can ACTUALLY hear some tedious twonks waffling on about the virtues of being able to read the number plate of the car behind and yes - it IS a mirror image and everything. She's a lovely motor, fancy a spin, lol,lol....................

Myself I would only allow cars with A or B class emissions (would mean the end of jags I'm afraid). 1.1 litre and / or 40 mph max.

Who needs a fast car on the Island?

Zactly.

Rhumsaa, if you'd seen your kid nearly killed by a cyclist doing 30+ on the walkway, you'd want it limiting. Don't oppress me!

Oh look, the petrol drinkers are saying speed doesn't kill again, sigh.

Why does anyone need a car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds on the road? Why should I have to face that risk of a car like that, that an insurance company has decided is almost certainly going to crash at some point, coming the other way?

Why not have a car that is quicker, nicer, more comfy or more rewarding to own than your preferred 1.1 cat loo on wheels? Jeez..not this stuff again. It's the driver, not the car that's the issue. Insurance isn't only based on the likelyhood to crash - Scoobies & Evos are preferred crook getaway cars and get nicked a lot - plenty of boot space & enough oomph to give PC Slow the slip in his 1.6 Fiesta if needs - hence the cops themselves now driving Scoobies & Evos in parts of the UK.

Imprezas and Evos are actually safer in many ways - all sorts of clever devices deliver the power to the wheels with most traction etc. They have ABS, traction, stability and torque biasing coming out of their power bulges.

Agreed. High Performance cars are built to handle higher speeds and forces, which means when driven on a day to day basis in normal traffic, they are massively over-engineered and safer in many ways - and it's not just engine power with these things. A Porsche with fade-free carbon-ceramic brakes will always stop quicker than your normal runabout, may this be at 30, 50 or 100mph.

The basic driving licence should allow people a car of up to (say) 1000cc or 50bhp. The DoT and police would probably say it's unweildy and impossible to enforce - but I don't see why. In fact, if they see a high performance car being driven enthusiastically, they'll know the driver has been trained to an advanced level - and if they're pulled and found NOT to have the required vehicle rating, they get a ban and bumped back down to starter level.

Good idea in principle, but remembering from past discussions that R plates aren't even effectively enforced, I think it simply wouldn't work.

I would still go for both advanced training and for safety checks on older cars. I agree that high performance cars have better active safety but it is important that they are well maintained and the person at the wheel knows how to use the performance. I have never felt safer in a car than when riding with a rally driver at speed - but how many people posess that level of skill?

Maybe this is the answer for the Island...the Aixim 400 Super Luxe - good for 40mph (60 for the brave) and up to 110 mpg - and Stu you can drive one on a motor bike licence.

product-6181.jpg

I'd quite happily drive one of those. You can have lots of fun in small, underpowered cars, and they're much better for parking around town. One of my favourites is/was the Smart Car - great fun.

I was thinking of chopping the Jag in for something more sensible, but it's worth virtually nothing in PX and it's still a £60k car (new), so I'm enjoying it while I can. Lottie has just short of 400bhp and NO driver aids, great for when the conditions are right for a hoon, and I think that's a good thing...airbags and stability devices can make you reliant on the car to keep you out of trouble. Nothing wrong with performance cars as long as you've had good training (and I have).

I was responding to manshimajin, you irritating troll. Go back to pulling the wings off flies, would you, and leave the grown-ups to chat.

Could the grown ups tell me if these jet powered roller skates are so safe, why they are advocating additional training?

Archived