Car Power Restrictions

Slim

I am there with Ans, Its the driver not the car.

The Insurance group is worked out from stats that include, theft, engine capacity, BHP etc etc,

As for speed limits regarding pushbikes on the prom, i believe there is already one in place.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arrr fair enough, just back in the summer i was bombing across the prom burning a few calories and was spotted by another Councillor, who had great pleasure in telling me that there was a speed limit on the cycle path and that i should not go so fast !! I would not mind Mums with prams where over taking me..lol

It was said earlier, but it bears repeating: the driver is the issue, not the car, in many if not all accidents re person at fault.

There is nothing wrong with owning a vehicle that can 0-60 in "6 seconds". It does come down to training and experience though, as a few have said. The good thing about insurance groups is that they keep inexperienced drivers out of risky (theft or high-powered) cars - but insurance is much cheaper here than away which might be an issue.

I was lucky enough to go on a Porsche driving training thing this week and the focus is almost solely on handling the car (although to be fair, you also get to race as well). We did skid pan work, road work, track work and 'oh shit what was that' work. What I will say (I can't speak for wrxs) is that the technology in modern high-performance cars is amazing - independent wheel braking for example once the car becomes unstable. But it isn't foolproof. Many of the systems in the car I drove are designed to aid the driver in tricky situations, but they are not there to replace the driver. The benefit of a course like this is the safe surroundings and the fact that you can push the car to its limits with little risk. What people need to realise is that if you put an inexperienced driver (whether that be fast car or first car) behind the wheel the risk is increased dramatically.

Vet the drivers, not the cars.

Myself I would only allow cars with A or B class emissions (would mean the end of jags I'm afraid). 1.1 litre and / or 40 mph max.

Who needs a fast car on the Island?

Zactly.

Rhumsaa, if you'd seen your kid nearly killed by a cyclist doing 30+ on the walkway, you'd want it limiting. Don't oppress me!

Oh look, the petrol drinkers are saying speed doesn't kill again, sigh.

least if u have a fast car u can pass all the slow ppl doing 30mph where theres no speed limit, so there safer in that respect

I was thinking of chopping the Jag in for something more sensible, but it's worth virtually nothing in PX and it's still a £60k car (new), so I'm enjoying it while I can. Lottie has just short of 400bhp and NO driver aids, great for when the conditions are right for a hoon, and I think that's a good thing...airbags and stability devices can make you reliant on the car to keep you out of trouble. Nothing wrong with performance cars as long as you've had good training (and I have).

Stu is Lottie the Jag?

I am sticking to the Moggie - wood frame, recycled aluminium body, minimum of electronics, side windows that screw on/off, a hood that takes 5 minutes to assemble so why bother, - and I don't care if it doesn't go very fast as it's the wind in the hair and a silly grin from ear to ear experience that get's me

toad-01.gif

Myself I would only allow cars with A or B class emissions (would mean the end of jags I'm afraid). 1.1 litre and / or 40 mph max.

Who needs a fast car on the Island?

Zactly.

Rhumsaa, if you'd seen your kid nearly killed by a cyclist doing 30+ on the walkway, you'd want it limiting. Don't oppress me!

least if u have a fast car u can pass all the slow ppl doing 30mph where theres no speed limit, so there safer in that respect

Who needs a fast mode of transport on the Island? Lets ban bikes. They're faster than cars.

I am of course new to these parts both electronically and physically, but ffs, bad drivers kill people, not cars!! All cars can kill. All cars do 30mph. That's enough. WTF a 1.1l or a 40mph cap will do is beyond me. I hear Labour are recruiting in the pc nanny state dept. though.

Speed doesnt kill....accidents do. which can equally happen as 30 as they do at 70.

OK the outcome may be worse at a higher speed but not necessarily so.....again its a sweeping over generalisation.

Yes I am a petrol head....but I also like living!

good idea to start a new thread on the issue. my 2c

i like the idea of advanced driving being taught for high performance car drivers, BUT if you pass the advanced driving course it may give you the confidence to push on a bit more than usual. that said, atleast you have learn't what you're supposed to do??

as to a 0-60 in 6 seconds car, any car that has a top speed in the 130+ is going to get to 60 in short order too. the snag with our twisty roads is that to have a chance of overtaking safely in more than just a couple of places, you need to be able to accellerate past the slower car in front in short order. you don't get cars with swift accelleration that only do 60 mph, the two go hand in hand as a rule. a marginal overtaking manouvere that takes ages in a 1.3 can be over safely quicker in a quicker car. evo's, scooby's and audi RS's are well suited to the task, but when you overtake or see an overtaking manouvere that is done in short order, even with proper indication and mirror work, you still consider the driver a knob.

the costs, comparatively speaking as a % of earnings are probably about the same, but the BHP available for the same costs is 4 times what it used to be. when i were a lad, every one was in mini coopers/1275 GT's or RS2000's and mexico's and the like. same issues back then with the percieved high performance cars of the day that young drivers wanted. but by todays standards they were slow, my van goes better than the mini i had that i though was quick. instead of young drivers having 60-80 bhp, now they can get over 200 easy with 300+ not much more dollar. getting 80bhp wrong on the limits is not likely to be as bad as getting 200+ wrong on the limits. as you get used to a vehicle, the sensation of speed goes with use. i do a fair amount of mileage, and 60-70+ doesn't get my pulse off tickover, i am used to/ bored at those speeds. BUT i have no desire to go faster, i know my limits and my vehicles, the modern quick cars though have far greater limits than most of us can drive to and when it does go, it goes quick and bad. i can see governors required on cars so that the speed is limited, but accelleration is all there. so 0-60 in 6-7 secs and a top speed limited to 70 or 80 would suffice. i'd far rather a car could nip past me than get half way and side swipe me or cut me up just getting back in.

arrr fair enough, just back in the summer i was bombing across the prom burning a few calories and was spotted by another Councillor, who had great pleasure in telling me that there was a speed limit on the cycle path and that i should not go so fast !! I would not mind Mums with prams where over taking me..lol

Na, I took it up with the police at the time, they looked into it and said as far as they can tell there's no limit.

Did the prom walkway on my roadie yesterday and you're safer on the road! Those retractable dog leads are leathal on a bike!

I dont buy the 'speed doesn't kill' line at all. If I come to a sudden stop while travelling 30 the outcome will be very different from a sudden stop at 100. There's no arguing that point, it's pretty basic physics. How is that not speed killing?

Let's ban fast cars and bikes from the under-40's.

Let's ban all cars and 4x4 with a fuel consumption of > 6l / 100km. I'm not sure what this is in mpg but it's being cosidered over here.

While we're at it let's ban fat, rude, arrogant fur-coated German (Bavarian) females who drive BMX 4x4s and park on the pavement. Sadly my ski resort has too many of them at the moment. Amadeus no doubt knows the type I mean.

Na, I took it up with the police at the time, they looked into it and said as far as they can tell there's no limit.

Try looking it up in the designated D.O.T. routes you may find as per usual the police are not up to date

Archived