Speeding Fines

wazzer

Must be a crackdown on speeding just now for him to have booked you at such a low speed.

Not really. As a general guide they follow the ACPO guidelines for speed enforcement which is 10% + 2mph (or 35 in a 30) to allow for inaccuracies in speedometers and human reading error. If you're over this then you're not unlucky, you're fair game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Must be a crackdown on speeding just now for him to have booked you at such a low speed.

Not really. As a general guide they follow the ACPO guidelines for speed enforcement which is 10% + 2mph (or 35 in a 30) to allow for inaccuracies in speedometers and human reading error. If you're over this then you're not unlucky, you're fair game.

Thats right, you're going down, b*tch. Get buying those cigarettes bay your going away for a long time.

And as a guide, you're looking at £15-£20 per mph over the limit plus costs of another £10 or so.

So what's the largest fine ever given on the island? I know that in Finland it's based on how much you earn like the Nokia boss who got charged £70,000 for doing 46 in a 30 zone

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024...11030397,00.htm

Remember children, it's a limit, not a target. You don't get bonus points for each mile an hour over the limit.

Well thats the case in point though, far to many people think 30mph is the minimum speed when it is actually the maximum.

if you don't notice your speed and adjust accordingly thats driving without due care and attention surely, if not it should be...

36 mph is more than enough to put someone into a vegetative state for the rest of their lives, as indeed is 30.

Having been a perpetual speeder my entire driving life, my attitude to speed has genuinely changed after attending a speed awareness session (in place of points) when I was caught doing 37 in a 30 a couple of months ago.

The most memorable point they made was in relation to the national advert that was run with the young girl - the 'hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live, hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die'. The advert can be taken as misleading in that it can lead to the impression that a collision at 30mph is relatively safe. it isn't. Being alive after an accident isn't the same as living. Even if a person isn't left in a severely disabled state, it doesn't mean that their quality of life after an accident is the same as it was before.

The best tip from the session was that, whenever you're in a 30, stick to 3rd gear (obviously for manual transmission only) and keep your revs at a normal level - the car should naturally move at around 30 then, meaning that you don't have to have a constant eye on the speedo.

36 mph is more than enough to put someone into a vegetative state for the rest of their lives, as indeed is 30.

Having been a perpetual speeder my entire driving life, my attitude to speed has genuinely changed after attending a speed awareness session (in place of points) when I was caught doing 37 in a 30 a couple of months ago.

Sounds worth doing just to save money buying the next 'Havoc' tapes.

It's not just about speed of course, there's the often overlooked factors of awareness, response time and a sense of responsibility. I'm never surprised at the constant reminders I get everyday on Manx roads of just how unaware so many people actually are of their surroundings and other vehicles, how they feel so over-protected encased in their little metal cans oblivious to most other road users, busily chatting away, picking their nose, or pruning themselves in the mirror - in their own little world, and just how many are so slow in their reactions even when faced with a problem.

its the same as drink driving at 80 your legal at 81 you get a minimum 12 month ban as happened to a friends mother.

Still reckon it should be zero. If youre gonna have a drink and go driving , regardless of 1 glass or 10 , you know the risks before you open the bottle/can , and cant really have any complaints.

And as a guide, you're looking at £15-£20 per mph over the limit plus costs of another £10 or so.

So what's the largest fine ever given on the island? I know that in Finland it's based on how much you earn like the Nokia boss who got charged £70,000 for doing 46 in a 30 zone

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024...11030397,00.htm

They tried this method over in the UK a while back , fining people based on their ability to pay instread of a standard fine.

All that happened was very rich people, who make lots of political donations , got very angry very quickly and the idea was dropped after a test period of no more than a few months.

When the peasants get upset , its no big deal. They dont host the fundraisers that allow you to stay in office.

The best tip from the session was that, whenever you're in a 30, stick to 3rd gear (obviously for manual transmission only) and keep your revs at a normal level - the car should naturally move at around 30 then, meaning that you don't have to have a constant eye on the speedo.

That's a great tip. I always go into 4th but I'm going to start doing that.

The best tip from the session was that, whenever you're in a 30, stick to 3rd gear

That's a great tip. I always go into 4th but I'm going to start doing that.

That's also what the IAM suggest. It makes sense, as it's often difficult to drive at 30 or less in fourth or higher.

its the same as drink driving at 80 your legal at 81 you get a minimum 12 month ban as happened to a friends mother.

Still reckon it should be zero. If youre gonna have a drink and go driving , regardless of 1 glass or 10 , you know the risks before you open the bottle/can , and cant really have any complaints.

What if you have eaten a dessert or something which contained alcohol and you were not aware?

Archived