Speeding Fines

wazzer

Actually, fair enough - Peel Road was a bad example (although I don't think I've EVER been behind a car doing less than 30mph on that road). However I still think that the basic point is valid - there are some speed limits which are totally inappropriate, and exceeding them doesn't necessarily make you an irresponsible driver.

'manxman2' was very quick to accuse 'Port Erin' of being reckless and stupid - but he/she knew nothing about the circumstances other than the speed limit was being exceeded. If, for example, Port Erin was doing 47 on an empty road at 2am on a Monday morning, that's very different to if he was doing 47 on a busy road near a school at 9am. Isn't that obvious?

It was half term, I wasn't near any schools approaching a built up area, the road was quiet, good visibility and conditions...I don't consider it to be worthy of a £160 fine and 3 penalty points.

I caught the law out on a technicality and bent the rules to suit myself, which is only what the Police do for themselves anyway.

Oh, and the sneeky twat was hiding behind a gradual bend as well, which makes it fair game for me to get away with it in my book.

your a twat .. and typical of todays no blame no responsibility society .. you dont have the morals to put your hand up and say fair do i was wrong doing 47 in a zone i knew to be 30 mph .. instead you look to blame someone else for you stupid irrisponsible actions .. as i said your a twat.. .. there is no justification..

I wasn't looking to blame someone else.

I merely pointed out a flaw in the case against me, which jeopardised the legality of the alleged offence.

This meant that they could not prove beyond reasonable doubt that I was guilty.

I am quite proud of the fact that I was successful in cancelling a Court summons, clarifying points of law with the Chief Constable and his Advocate and winning my case.

Better luck next time, Mr Plod! haha

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boasting on a forum about how you've wheedled your way out of a speeding fine when you admit you were speeding is always a good idea. Don't be surprised if your tyres get regularly checked for bald spots.

Boasting on a forum about how you've wheedled your way out of a speeding fine when you admit you were speeding is always a good idea. Don't be surprised if your tyres get regularly checked for bald spots.

No chance of that, I keep my car immaculate, I am just saying there are ways of avoiding being caught in speed traps, no different than the motorists who flash to oncoming vehicles approaching a speed trap, to warn then what is ahead, I bet there are a lot of motorists who have been grateful to those motorists in the past

No chance of that, I keep my car immaculate, I am just saying there are ways of avoiding being caught in speed traps, no different than the motorists who flash to oncoming vehicles approaching a speed trap, to warn then what is ahead, I bet there are a lot of motorists who have been grateful to those motorists in the past

The bikers in the North of England are great for this... They are very very entusiastic in letting us know there are unmarked speed traps or police ahead. Good lads!

I find the best way of avoiding speed traps is sticking to the speed limit.

Presumably, you have never gone over a speed limit in your driving career?

I doubt it, so stop being so smug and self rightous about the issue.

I was caught ALLEGEDLY speeding, and successfully contested the legality of the allegation on the basis that a road sign was obscured.

I do not admit I was speeding, I always keep my car in immaculate condition, so I have nothing to worry about if I get stopped for a road check in respect of the condition of my vehicle.

just wondered what the average speeding fine is here for doing 36 in a 30 zone

That's unlucky...where were you caught?

I was caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone a couple of years ago, and successfully cancelled the Court Summons on the basis of a road sign nearby being obscured by a hedge.

Worth having a look around to see if the area was adequately signed as a 30 zone. If not, contest the alleged offence on the basis that the road did not have signs that clearly indicated the speed limit in force.

It's only an allegation until proved in Court.

I was caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone a couple of years ago, and successfully cancelled the Court Summons on the basis of a road sign nearby being obscured by a hedge.

Worth having a look around to see if the area was adequately signed as a 30 zone. If not, contest the alleged offence on the basis that the road did not have signs that clearly indicated the speed limit in force.

I may have been caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone, but a nearby sign was obscured by a hedge.

This meant that the road sign was not clearly indicating that I was in a 30 mph zone.

Under the 1985 Road Traffic Regulations Act, a local highway authority with responsibility for roads in its area is under a duty to erect and maintain traffic signs on those roads.

If a sign was obscured, it could not be said the road was adequately signed.

Therefore, I should not have been found guilty of a speeding offence under the 1985 Road Traffic Act.

If a sign is obscured, how am I meant to know what speed limit is in force?

I'm sorry if you are too stupid or ignorant to understand the above!

On my first ever driving lesson, the instructor said to me if I wasn't sure about the limit I should look for regularly spaced street lights, they meant 30mph. Now this doesn't always apply I know. (Baldrine being a good example of this). But I am interested to know if there were such street lights in that area where you weren't caught doing over 50% over the speed limit?

On my first ever driving lesson, the instructor said to me if I wasn't sure about the limit I should look for regularly spaced street lights, they meant 30mph. Now this doesn't always apply I know. (Baldrine being a good example of this). But I am interested to know if there were such street lights in that area where you weren't caught doing over 50% over the speed limit?

There were no regular spaced street lights in the vicinity.

I may have been caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone, but a nearby sign was obscured by a hedge.

This meant that the road sign was not clearly indicating that I was in a 30 mph zone.

Under the 1985 Road Traffic Regulations Act, a local highway authority with responsibility for roads in its area is under a duty to erect and maintain traffic signs on those roads.

Therefore, I should not have been found guilty of a speeding offence under the 1985 Road Traffic Act.

Hang on a minute, if the speed limit on that stretch of road is 30mph, then there is no alledged about it. You were proved to be speeding. If you could not see the sign, just what speed limit did you think you wre in? Did you assume it was 50, 60 or simply de-restricted? God help any motorcycle emerging from a side road with you coming the other way.

Seems to me that you are talking bollix. If you have 'got away with one', then I would suggest you keep it to yourself, and don't gloat about it. These things have a habit of coming back to bite you on the arse.

The easiest way of avoiding speeding fines is to stick to the limit.

Hang on a minute, if the speed limit on that stretch of road is 30mph, then there is no alledged about it. You were proved to be speeding. If you could not see the sign, just what speed limit did you think you wre in? Did you assume it was 50, 60 or simply de-restricted? God help any motorcycle emerging from a side road with you coming the other way.

Seems to me that you are talking bollix. If you have 'got away with one', then I would suggest you keep it to yourself, and don't gloat about it. These things have a habit of coming back to bite you on the arse.

The easiest way of avoiding speeding fines is to stick to the limit.

Well, the Chief Constable and his Advocate did not think I was talking bollocks, hence the reason why my Court summons was cancelled at the last minute.

I was not proved to be speeding, because it never went to Court - it's only an allegation until proved in a Court of law.

Have you never exceeded the speed limit?

Have I done 47 in a 30 - No.

You still haven't answered the question though, I wonder why?

Did you assume it was 50, 60 or simply de-restricted?

You haven't answered my question, which is, "Have you never exceeded the speed limit?"

In answer to your question, I did not make any assumptions because there was no clear guidance given as to what speed limit was in force on that particular stretch of road.

If someone wants to nail me for something, the least they can do is to try and do it properly and look at the legislation first.

Half a job, every time over here.

Archived