Speeding Fines

wazzer

its the same as drink driving at 80 your legal at 81 you get a minimum 12 month ban as happened to a friends mother.

Still reckon it should be zero. If youre gonna have a drink and go driving , regardless of 1 glass or 10 , you know the risks before you open the bottle/can , and cant really have any complaints.

What if you have eaten a dessert or something which contained alcohol and you were not aware?

to be honest, i think the drink drive limit should have a slideing scale, for the likes of say 5 over or 3 even, u should maybe get a big fine but keep you driveing, but if you get caught a 2nd time just over, then u get a a right going over,

cause to be honest i would think most that are 1-3 over, have done it by mistake, not like the ones that hvae jumped in the car after a right skinfull,

*waits for the bashing time, runs and hides :ph34r:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just wondered what the average speeding fine is here for doing 36 in a 30 zone

That's unlucky...where were you caught?

I was caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone a couple of years ago, and successfully cancelled the Court Summons on the basis of a road sign nearby being obscured by a hedge.

Worth having a look around to see if the area was adequately signed as a 30 zone. If not, contest the alleged offence on the basis that the road did not have signs that clearly indicated the speed limit in force.

It's only an allegation until proved in Court.

The best tip from the session was that, whenever you're in a 30, stick to 3rd gear (obviously for manual transmission only) and keep your revs at a normal level - the car should naturally move at around 30 then, meaning that you don't have to have a constant eye on the speedo.

This definitely varies depending on your car. In my previous car, which was a manual, 4th gear was definitely the most appropriate for doing 30mph. In 3rd, there was too much torque and the slightest slip of the foot sent you over the limit (this is not a brag, it was only a Mini). 3rd was also certainly not as fuel efficient as 4th. So the best advice is to simply be in the correct gear for the situation, whatever that might be for your vehicle. Typically, people drive in too low a gear for the circumstances, but some good training can identify that issue quickly.

I'm certainly not an advocate of irresponsible driving, but I think there are a lot of speed limits, on the island and elsewhere, that are totally inappropriate. For example, the stretch of Peel Road between Brown Bobby garage and the Quarterbridge is a 30 (unmarked so extra confusing - should be 40 imo), and that tiny single track road that leads to Tynwald Mills is National Speed Limit (should be 20 imo). The 70mph limit on motorways in the UK is totally inappropriate. Also, speed limits are fundamentally flawed because they're not dynamic and don't take into account the traffic conditions, the time of day, your ability as a driver, and the characteristics of your car.

I sometimes feel sorry for people who get caught doing slightly over the speed limit, when there are plain dangerous drivers out there with a fundamental lack of skill, such as the person I encountered this morning who decided to screech to a complete halt by the Sefton hotel so that they could change lanes a few metres earlier.

The best tip from the session was that, whenever you're in a 30, stick to 3rd gear (obviously for manual transmission only) and keep your revs at a normal level - the car should naturally move at around 30 then, meaning that you don't have to have a constant eye on the speedo.

This definitely varies depending on your car. In my previous car, which was a manual, 4th gear was definitely the most appropriate for doing 30mph. In 3rd, there was too much torque and the slightest slip of the foot sent you over the limit (this is not a brag, it was only a Mini). 3rd was also certainly not as fuel efficient as 4th. So the best advice is to simply be in the correct gear for the situation, whatever that might be for your vehicle. Typically, people drive in too low a gear for the circumstances, but some good training can identify that issue quickly.

I'm certainly not an advocate of irresponsible driving, but I think there are a lot of speed limits, on the island and elsewhere, that are totally inappropriate. For example, the stretch of Peel Road between Brown Bobby garage and the Quarterbridge is a 30 (unmarked so extra confusing - should be 40 imo), and that tiny single track road that leads to Tynwald Mills is National Speed Limit (should be 20 imo). The 70mph limit on motorways in the UK is totally inappropriate. Also, speed limits are fundamentally flawed because they're not dynamic and don't take into account the traffic conditions, the time of day, your ability as a driver, and the characteristics of your car.

Peel Road is, I imagine, a 30mph due to the number of side roads and entrances along it - I'm trying to think of any 40s that have industrial estate entrances, business entrances, things like that.

My mate was taught to drive in 4th gear in 30mph limits - might have been fine in the diesel MINI he learnt in, but not quite so hot in an old 1.2l 16v Corsa, without as much torque lower down. I drive a 1.8l car, and drive in 3rd a lot of the time in a 30mph, but then as I've been driving since 1989 I'm more able to judge appropriate engine speeds etc than my mate who has just passed his test at the end of last year - the extra engine braking can also come in useful in a lower gear around town.

Peel Road is, I imagine, a 30mph due to the number of side roads and entrances along it - I'm trying to think of any 40s that have industrial estate entrances, business entrances, things like that.

My mate was taught to drive in 4th gear in 30mph limits - might have been fine in the diesel MINI he learnt in, but not quite so hot in an old 1.2l 16v Corsa, without as much torque lower down. I drive a 1.8l car, and drive in 3rd a lot of the time in a 30mph, but then as I've been driving since 1989 I'm more able to judge appropriate engine speeds etc than my mate who has just passed his test at the end of last year - the extra engine braking can also come in useful in a lower gear around town.

Braddan Bridge to Union Mills. The 30 limit used to be just after the entrance to Snugborough but they moved it forward recently. Still a couple of entrances to businesses and the like along the 40 section though.

just wondered what the average speeding fine is here for doing 36 in a 30 zone

That's unlucky...where were you caught?

I was caught doing 47 mph in a 30 mph zone a couple of years ago, and successfully cancelled the Court Summons on the basis of a road sign nearby being obscured by a hedge.

Worth having a look around to see if the area was adequately signed as a 30 zone. If not, contest the alleged offence on the basis that the road did not have signs that clearly indicated the speed limit in force.

It's only an allegation until proved in Court.

yes you just might get away with your reckless stupid and anti social behaviour .. typical of the non responsiblity generation always look to blame someone else..

port erin sounds like a real plus to our society.

Braddan Bridge to Union Mills. The 30 limit used to be just after the entrance to Snugborough but they moved it forward recently. Still a couple of entrances to businesses and the like along the 40 section though.

True, but not the same length of road as BB to QB, with the scaffold lorries coming out upper Hills Meadow, DoT coming out of the lower Hills Meadow entrance, fire station, MacDonalds with the crossing and then QB - even on the Kewaigue road they take the limit back to 30mph for the roundabout - and I've seen some cars going along Peel Road heading west doing what looks to be more than 30mph, and some of them look like they're going to be bounced onto the pavement, especially where the two lanes are for the Pulrose turning. That stretch of road really is in atrocious condition.

Actually, fair enough - Peel Road was a bad example (although I don't think I've EVER been behind a car doing less than 30mph on that road). However I still think that the basic point is valid - there are some speed limits which are totally inappropriate, and exceeding them doesn't necessarily make you an irresponsible driver.

'manxman2' was very quick to accuse 'Port Erin' of being reckless and stupid - but he/she knew nothing about the circumstances other than the speed limit was being exceeded. If, for example, Port Erin was doing 47 on an empty road at 2am on a Monday morning, that's very different to if he was doing 47 on a busy road near a school at 9am. Isn't that obvious?

no its 30 mph 24 hours a day.. .. if you are in so much of a rush that breaking our laws means so little to you then perhaps island life isnt your bag..

they dont just put speed limits up for the fun of inconvenience sake..

But should it be the same speed limit, regardless of the road conditions? There is clearly a massive difference in what speed is safe and responsible in each situation (also, bear in mind that one of the key aspects to being a good driver is making excellent progress). I'm not advocating breaking the law, just pointing out that there is a major difference in the severity of the crime.

i would hardly call it a crime .. its what it says on the tin .. i dont see a problem with obeying the speed limits .. going above them only means the quicker you will catch and get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle .. even at night.

But should it be the same speed limit, regardless of the road conditions? There is clearly a massive difference in what speed is safe and responsible in each situation .

The posted speed limits are what is considered to be the maximum safe limit for the particular stretch of road in perfect conditions. Legally you should never have to exceed them and, if conditions are poor (snow, ice, rain, fog etc) you should be driving at a speed somewhat below the limit. For example, I once managed to write off a car which aquaplaned in heavy rain when driving at 40 mph in a 50mph zone. I was driving below the legal limit but was clearly going too fast for the conditions.

no its 30 mph 24 hours a day.. .. if you are in so much of a rush that breaking our laws means so little to you then perhaps island life isnt your bag..

they dont just put speed limits up for the fun of inconvenience sake..

you should try telling your police that then

very rare i see them doing the limit

Archived