Speeding Fines

wazzer

Peel Road is, I imagine, a 30mph due to the number of side roads and entrances along it - I'm trying to think of any 40s that have industrial estate entrances, business entrances, things like that.

My mate was taught to drive in 4th gear in 30mph limits - might have been fine in the diesel MINI he learnt in, but not quite so hot in an old 1.2l 16v Corsa, without as much torque lower down. I drive a 1.8l car, and drive in 3rd a lot of the time in a 30mph, but then as I've been driving since 1989 I'm more able to judge appropriate engine speeds etc than my mate who has just passed his test at the end of last year - the extra engine braking can also come in useful in a lower gear around town.

Braddan Bridge to Union Mills. The 30 limit used to be just after the entrance to Snugborough but they moved it forward recently. Still a couple of entrances to businesses and the like along the 40 section though.

The police can only position speed traps on straight sections where there is a lay-by or similar, to pull you over, which is why motorists speed along Peel Road area, as there are never speed traps set up there, too dangerous to pull anyone over, without creating a shunt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have abs [...] you will never get caught in a speed trap

I'll have to do more sit-ups then...

o.k. for those unsure the meaning, anti-lock braking system, realised after I submitted the comment, someone would read it wrong but it does prevent the obviouse wobble of the wheels when you brake hard after spotting the speed gun

no its 30 mph 24 hours a day.. .. if you are in so much of a rush that breaking our laws means so little to you then perhaps island life isnt your bag..

they dont just put speed limits up for the fun of inconvenience sake..

you should try telling your police that then

very rare i see them doing the limit

why whats wrong with telling them yourself .. your mouth/typing finger works just fine doughnut.

If you have abs and good reflexes, you will never get caught in a speed trap

How do you work that out then? (I'm pretty sure I know what's coming but go on anyway.............. )

As the police have to set the speed trap up on a straight section, can't have them set up near bends, so you get to know the particular sites they use on the Island. As their high visibility jackets work well, as soon as you see them on a straight somewhere, if you are going more than 30, the a.b.s. stops you quickly, in a staight line, so you can reduce speed quickly without being too obvious, which has to work with you having fast reflexes, so you do it quickly but not so quick you skid and squeal tyres, thus drawing attention to yourself. Obviously good eyesight is a bonus too, so you spot them quicker.

The weather is a mitigating factor too, you never see speed traps when it is freezing cold, pouring with rain, or blowing a gale.

So you probably guessed how it helps but is good practice for keeping the reflexes sharp as well.

Why not just stick to the limit anyway????????????

Most drivers I see drive exactly 30mph when they see a speed trap, or the drivers who only ever drive at 30, even on the Mountain. Even if you slow down approaching the speed limit, most drivers are doing more than 30mph but will reduce to 30 as they drive into the limit further, where it is usually needed most. Quite often the speed limit is further out than necessary, to allow you to reduce before you hit the hazardous area. The Sulby straight starts the limit before you reach any houses or the school, so it gives you time to slow down in time before the school and main village area, on the approach, you have full visibility with no bends etc, there are many places like this. It is the same on traffic lights, I never go through on red but always see at least 2 or more cars that do, this is a problem which has got worse for some reason. I guess a lot of drivers are just more impatient now and don't want to slow down or stop on red lights, they are even worse on temporary traffic lights, usually about 5 cars go through on red, knowing there is a longer delay on amber than permanent lights.

Actually, fair enough - Peel Road was a bad example (although I don't think I've EVER been behind a car doing less than 30mph on that road). However I still think that the basic point is valid - there are some speed limits which are totally inappropriate, and exceeding them doesn't necessarily make you an irresponsible driver.

'manxman2' was very quick to accuse 'Port Erin' of being reckless and stupid - but he/she knew nothing about the circumstances other than the speed limit was being exceeded. If, for example, Port Erin was doing 47 on an empty road at 2am on a Monday morning, that's very different to if he was doing 47 on a busy road near a school at 9am. Isn't that obvious?

It was half term, I wasn't near any schools approaching a built up area, the road was quiet, good visibility and conditions...I don't consider it to be worthy of a £160 fine and 3 penalty points.

I caught the law out on a technicality and bent the rules to suit myself, which is only what the Police do for themselves anyway.

Oh, and the sneeky twat was hiding behind a gradual bend as well, which makes it fair game for me to get away with it in my book.

Nice bleat but no sympathy from here.

I'm not after sympathy, given that I was not convicted with the alleged offence.

I'm merely stating the facts that led to me contesting the legality of the allegation, namely that a road sign was obscured by a hedge.

If a sign is obscured, it can not be said that the road was adequately signed as a 30 mph zone (contrary to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985).

Actually, fair enough - Peel Road was a bad example (although I don't think I've EVER been behind a car doing less than 30mph on that road). However I still think that the basic point is valid - there are some speed limits which are totally inappropriate, and exceeding them doesn't necessarily make you an irresponsible driver.

'manxman2' was very quick to accuse 'Port Erin' of being reckless and stupid - but he/she knew nothing about the circumstances other than the speed limit was being exceeded. If, for example, Port Erin was doing 47 on an empty road at 2am on a Monday morning, that's very different to if he was doing 47 on a busy road near a school at 9am. Isn't that obvious?

It was half term, I wasn't near any schools approaching a built up area, the road was quiet, good visibility and conditions...I don't consider it to be worthy of a £160 fine and 3 penalty points.

I caught the law out on a technicality and bent the rules to suit myself, which is only what the Police do for themselves anyway.

Oh, and the sneeky twat was hiding behind a gradual bend as well, which makes it fair game for me to get away with it in my book.

your a twat .. and typical of todays no blame no responsibility society .. you dont have the morals to put your hand up and say fair do i was wrong doing 47 in a zone i knew to be 30 mph .. instead you look to blame someone else for you stupid irrisponsible actions .. as i said your a twat.. .. there is no justification..

If you have abs and good reflexes, you will never get caught in a speed trap

What utter guff. The second you see the speed trap it's already too late. And ABS is only really helpful for one thing - not locking up. It still looks obvious that you've slammed the anchors on as the front of the car will be nosediving into the tarmac.

Incidentally, if you slam on approaching a speed trap and lock up the wheels you'll get double shafted for losing control of your vehicle as well.

Archived