The Wave - New Project For Old Summerland Site

John

Have to agree with Stavros there, you're chance to give your opinion is when it's built. Use it or not.

And if no-one likes it then it's £30 million down the drain.

Why not show the general public the various proposals and then ask for their views. It's called CONSULTATION. Look it up. And then look up MARKET RESEARCH while you're at it.

As many have pointed out Sefton has a long track record in doing nothing - in the past those associated with the company have managed to get public involvement by threatening to build something so inappropriate that Gov was forced to get involved.

This to me has the sound of getting access to several prime sites on the Prom for yet more appartment blocks - I wonder if the Wave will suddenly be found to be too complex/costly etc and that Douglas will get the equivalent of Ramsey's church square or another building like the total mess that occupies the Villers site.

I wonder if the Wave will suddenly be found to be too complex/costly etc and that Douglas will get the equivalent of Ramsey's church square or another building like the total mess that occupies the Villers site.

As opposed to the beautifully landscaped area of outstanding natural beauty which exists there now?

I think the point here is quite clear. Someone has taken an interest at possibly developing the site with hopefully an entertainment complex for the island. Of course things can change or go wrong but to take the attitude that is being adopted on this thread before anything has really even been agreed is a typical 'moan about it because nothing has been done and then moan about it because someone wants to do something good with it' soupuss attitude.

It's their £30 million, it's their tender, it's their proposal and they could always decide against it after doing their investigations. Give them a chance to put something forward with the view to obtaining the lease. Would it make you happier if it was just left to rot rather than let someone come up with a possible proposal that might, just might benefit everyone on the island?

What is it with the sefton group, they seem to be awarded quite a lot of government projects at the moment.

They also are building down the new airport extenstion.

I wonder who has fingers in that pie?

What is it with the sefton group, they seem to be awarded quite a lot of government projects at the moment.

i think that you will find that all Capital Government work goes out to competitive tender.

be carefull with your comments!

i think that you will find that all Capital Government work goes out to competitive tender.

be carefull with your comments!

Well what i mean is they have i think 3 projects in the pipe line but nothing seems to be coming from it.

So will this be another shelved project to take the heat of the goverment?

The Sefton Group are truly amazing. They own the Golf Links, Hilton, Castle-Mona, Clinches, Paramount City, Sefton Hotel and other interests.

One would imagine that these areas are due for some activity.

It is fantastic how they can also focus on this wonderful £30 million project in an economic depression.

I must applaud the financial judgement of this organisation, they seem to be light years ahead of everybody else.

I'm pretty sure the Sefton group does not own Paramount city.

This thread is just what I've come to expect from my fellow Manx, moaning, whining, don't like change, set in their ways, never wanting to see any progress. Why do you have to jump on any new idea straight away and start with negatives ?

Just for once it would be great to see some positivity about new ideas from the Manx public instead of the doom and gloom, that will be shit, it'll never get built quotes we always get.

At last the government is actually looking to do something to move this place forward, perhaps if we supported it they might look at some of the other ideas the public has been lobbying for. Sometimes I have sympathy for the government (only sometimes!) when they suggest something that might actually make the Island a better place to live and visit and the first voices to shout are always the same ones trying to oppose it.

I'm pretty sure the Sefton group does not own Paramount city.

This thread is just what I've come to expect from my fellow Manx, moaning, whining, don't like change, set in their ways, never wanting to see any progress. Why do you have to jump on any new idea straight away and start with negatives ?

Just for once it would be great to see some positivity about new ideas from the Manx public instead of the doom and gloom, that will be shit, it'll never get built quotes we always get.

At last the government is actually looking to do something to move this place forward, perhaps if we supported it they might look at some of the other ideas the public has been lobbying for. Sometimes I have sympathy for the government (only sometimes!) when they suggest something that might actually make the Island a better place to live and visit and the first voices to shout are always the same ones trying to oppose it.

Here here, instead of moaning, lets get behind them and say, good on you for at least trying to make something good and better, sefton are keen to improve Douglas and thus the IOM, we all do not know the full facts behind why projects have been shelved, land bought and not developed. From what was explained to me last week, it is all for good reasons.

ps they do own Paramount and the plan is to look at the site after completion of the Wave apparantly, as I asked the same question at the Council presentation

I am not knocking it but what i am saying is that you have got quite a few parcels of land in douglas that are just lying there doing nothing.

What about the prison at victoria road?

The old bus station site is still a car park.

The first thing people see when they come off the boat is car parks.

I think the manx people are right to be sceptical don't you, the only thing these projects are doing is creating spin.

The government need to just get on with it something is better than nothing.

p.s i do like the "wave" idea but a lot of glass there that will have stones and sea weed thrown at it when we get the winter storms, i hope it is ballistic glass.