Astronomy Stuff

Chinahand

• 6 months later...

This (Inspiration Mars) could be the real deal, rather than all that asteroid mining malarkey over the past 18 months. Headlines:

2 person crew

Free return trajectory to Mars, round trip time about 500 days

Closest approach 100 miles, but not landing

Launch in 2018 (next window is 2031)

Funded by Denis Tito for the next two years ("Let me guarantee you, I will come out a lot poorer because of this mission. But my grandchildren will be wealthier.")

Already signed a Space Act Agreement with NASA Ames for heatshield development. Important as they'll be re-entering at a higher velocity than any other manned vehicle before them.

Mission takes place during solar minimum. Less chance of being fried by solar flares or CME's, but more chance of being fried by galactic radiation...they're promising "innovative solutions" for radiation protection.

Focus on manual systems rathe than the automatic ones of the ISS. They'll probably need the work to keep them from going crazy - 17.5m^3 of available living space for nearly 2 years!! ("Think of this as a really long road trip. Where you can't get out.")

This could be the next generation's Apollo moment.

Edited by Bobbie Bobster

ISS pass at 23.35

15s @ f4

Very cool smile.png

Since the ISS is very bright, might it be worth taking lots more shots at a faster shutter speed in order to capture a dimmer but ISS-shaped image?

All the best,

Mike

the trouble is a single shot will only be a very tiny speck showing no discernable shape unless you have a large telescope to help, not just an slr !

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up to say that this year could be a good year for Comets!

If the weather is clear, head out with a pair of binoculars at dusk in the evening on the 12th and 13th of March to see Pan-Starrs comet. Link

Then in November time we might get a really spectacular comet, but it's got to survive an encounter with the sun first - so it'll might be amazing, or it might be a burnt up nothing! Link

HD140283_2.jpg

HD 140283 is a dim star in the constellation of Libra and at the moment it rises above the horizon around about midnight , all you need are a pair of binoculars and you should be able to see it if you knew where to look - currently if you can see Saturn HD 140283 isn't far away!

Why am I pointing out this star - because it is one of the first stars to form shortly after the Big Bang! - Or else our understanding of either a star's evolution or the formation of the universe are out!

Actually the science behind stellar evolution gives a slightly worrying answer as the calculations give a mid band age of HD140283 as 14.5 billion years - which is a bit difficult as cosmology predicts that the age of the universe is "only" about 13.8 billion years old - but the error bands overlap - the star is between 15.3 and 13.7 billion years old - so relief all round!

Up until reading about HD140283 I had thought that you'd need a PhD and access to the Hubble Space telescope to see such ancient stars! But now I learn that our galaxy contains a population of Halo stars - their orbit around the Milky Way shows that they represent a primeval dwarf galaxy eaten by the Milky Way as it formed - these stars lack heavy elements and bear the signature of being formed from the Universe's primeval hydrogen formed in the Big Bang and only tiny proportions of heavier elements. Later super novae seeded heavier elements into the universe giving 2nd and 3rd generation stars like the sun a totally different isotopic structure - the same novae forged elements make up the Oxygen, Carbon, Calcium and Iron which make up our flesh, bones and blood!

So next time you are out star gazing spare a thought for HD140283 - its now entering the final stages of its life, throwing off its outer layers and expanding to be a red giant - after that a nova isn't far away - ok a few million years - but who's counting after 13.7 billion years or so!

I have to say I find these ideas slightly mind blowing - simply by staring at the stars, doing some maths, and running experiments on earth we have gained some such knowledge of the stars and universe!

Amazing - read more here!

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 1

Good stuff China. You might not exactly be preaching to the converted on here but it is fascinating. I wonder what percentage of the population of the western world ever looks up through the street lights and marvels at the splendour out there.

Or say to themselves...."Is the known universe merely a cell of billions of cells which make up a big animal"?

• 2 months later...

With it being TT and all I imagine quite a few people will be out tonight. If so spare a few minutes at just after 11:30 tonight to see the International Space Station zip by!

Time: Thu Jun 06/11:32 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 41 degrees, Appears: SW, Disappears: E

• 5 months later...