Astronomy Stuff

Chinahand

Don't look at the sun directly!

The Independents best.

Shame the weather was so crap for most UK viewers. Interesting that astronomers are using this event to fine tune their instruments and techniques for detecting planets around other stars.

Is anyone into Radio Astronomy? I'm working on the software side now, have a good SDR receiver for 50MHz through to 2.2GHz. When back on the rock will look out for a decent dish.

Isle of Man Astronomical Society, but they're more into optical stuff.

You could also have a look here, but afaik it needs a bit of work on the mechanicals to make it servicable ph34r.png.

• Like 1

Maybe the building could be turned into ELI's new residence, complete with dish (and planning permission !) pity it's in the wrong spot tho'

Handy for when I pop my clogs tho' :)

Is that MT?

Maybe the building could be turned into ELI's new residence, complete with dish (and planning permission !) pity it's in the wrong spot tho'

Handy for when I pop my clogs tho' smile.png

Is that MT?

yep, next to the infants school and near the hospital

Brilliant! Let me know when they are putting it on the market please...

The Independents best.

Shame the weather was so crap for most UK viewers. Interesting that astronomers are using this event to fine tune their instruments and techniques for detecting planets around other stars.

Is anyone into Radio Astronomy?

I built one in the 80's, but didn't get the results I expected though. With the advances in electronics and software over the past 30 years (jeeeeeez am I that old?) I'm sure it will be a very rewarding hobby these days - open to far more than a handful of Ham Radio type enthusiasts.

The Independents best.

I built one in the 80's, but didn't get the results I expected though. With the advances in electronics and software over the past 30 years (jeeeeeez am I that old?) I'm sure it will be a very rewarding hobby these days - open to far more than a handful of Ham Radio type enthusiasts.

Yes, you can get going for 100 quid these days if you already have a computer.

The Independents best.

Yes, you can get going for 100 quid these days if you already have a computer.

Though you can often speak to people on other planets on here w00t.gif

Though you can often speak to people on other planets on here w00t.gif

We don't talk to them, just looking for potential intelligent life. Not found much down on this planet yet...

• 2 months later...

This weekend is the time to see the Perseids. The best time is supposed to be Saturday night or very early Sunday morning.

Active: July 17 — August 24; Maximum: August 12, 12h to 14h30m UT (λ⊙ = 140.0°—140.1°), but see text; ZHR = 100;

Radiant: α = 48°, δ = +58°; Radiant drift:

V = 59 km/s; r = 2.2;

TFC: α = 19°, δ = +38° and α = 348°, δ = +74° before 2h local time; α = 43°, δ = +38° and α = 73°, δ = +66° after 2h local time (β > 20° N);

IFC: α = 300°, δ = +40°, α = 0°, δ = +20° or α = 240°, δ = +70° (β > 20° N).

PER.jpg

link

'it will rise from mid-northern locations around local midnight to one a.m. Its brightness and relative proximity to the Perseid radiant should be considered more of a nuisance than a deterrent, even so. Such mid-northern latitudes are the more favoured for Perseid observing, as from here, the shower's radiant is usefully observable from 22h—23h local time onwards, gaining altitude throughout the night. The near-nodal part of the "traditional" maximum interval would be best-viewed from eastern Asia east to far western North America (with increasing moonlight for places further east in this zone), assuming it happens as expected.'

err little help anyone - I need to look in what direction?

'it will rise from mid-northern locations around local midnight to one a.m. Its brightness and relative proximity to the Perseid radiant should be considered more of a nuisance than a deterrent, even so. Such mid-northern latitudes are the more favoured for Perseid observing, as from here, the shower's radiant is usefully observable from 22h—23h local time onwards, gaining altitude throughout the night. The near-nodal part of the "traditional" maximum interval would be best-viewed from eastern Asia east to far western North America (with increasing moonlight for places further east in this zone), assuming it happens as expected.'

err little help anyone - I need to look in what direction?

North East