• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what actually is involved in switching a line from 8-meg to 16-meg then? Seriously, I'm curious.

A profile change on Manx Telecoms equipment. It basically takes about a minute to do. No actual rejumpering needs to be done. Thats why £46.00 is a shocking price to regrade. And no wonder other ISP's are pissed off with it. I wonder why Manx.net are not pissed off. Oh hang on they are the same company.

I'm on ADSL2+ now and got the free router Netgear DG834G and it was great until I tried connection to Xbox live on the wireless. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to work, put the ethernet cable in and it worked, back to the wireless, no go.

A quick type into google and lots of people saying they can't get this router working wireless with the xbox. I tried doing what was suggested ie,port forwarding and DMZ but still nothing. I then noticed how hot the router was running but it still connected with the ethernet cable.

I gave up in the end and put the 3Com router back on and no problems.

I'm on ADSL2+ now and got the free router Netgear DG834G and it was great until I tried connection to Xbox live on the wireless. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to work, put the ethernet cable in and it worked, back to the wireless, no go.

A quick type into google and lots of people saying they can't get this router working wireless with the xbox. I tried doing what was suggested ie,port forwarding and DMZ but still nothing. I then noticed how hot the router was running but it still connected with the ethernet cable.

Did you try removing/disabling all the port forwarding/DMZ/NAT etc stuff and giving UPnP a crack at it?

There's also specific advice for the DG834G here:

---------------------

Netgear DG834G

Most new Netgear routers will have an Open NAT status of out the box as the have UPnP turned on by default. So you should not need to do any of the following, always ensure you have the latest version of firmware for your router from the Netgear website.

If you do still have problems, the first thing you need to do is make sure the Xbox gets the same ip address each time it boots up, as the configuration of the DMZ is just one IP address.

If you don't lock your Xbox/360 down to the same ip address it might work now, but not later if another device takes that ip address.

Start up the 360, go to My Xbox/System Settings/Network options, go to edit settings, go to additional settings and then advanced settings. Take a note of the letters and numbers under the “Wired Mac Address” or "Wireless Mac Address" - They should be both the same anyway.

The MAC Address will look something like this:-

00-0D-61-53-E2-52

Browse to your router's setup page usually 192.168.0.1 (This guide is for a Netgear DG834G, read your router manual and substitute your own routers IP Address).

1. Go into LAN IP Setup. Note the DHCP address range (e.g 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254), because you will be reserving an address from that range. Click on Address Reservation.

2. Type in the address you have chosen to reserve from the range (e.g. 192.168.0.20).

3. Type in the MAC Address you wrote down earlier.

4. Type in a name of the device Xbox 360 for example

5. Click on Add

6. Save the changes on your router. Now reboot the Xbox/360 and check the dashboard and make sure it has the ip address you have reserved for it.

Now you need to put that reserved address into the DMZ.

1. On the routers setup page, click on WAN Setup. Put the IP address in the Default DMZ Server field (you can only actually type in the last octet of the address).

2. Ensure that the Default DMZ Server tick box is ticked.

3. Click on Apply. Save the changes. Reboot the router and try the Xbox live test again. Your NAT settings should now be Open.

I have a Netgear DG834G v4, what version is yours?

As cresta said make sure you have UPnP enabled and check which firmware version you have, my v4 is running 5.01.09 I had some issues with xbox live on both the firmware version before (moderate NAT) and the version after (didnt work at all).

I think it was V5 or summat, can't remember, it was the newest version I checked. I've taken it offline at the moment and reverted back to my 3COM router. The Netgear one was running really hot, I mean it was overboard hot.

Thanks for the advice though Cresta Fiesta and virtual Boy.

Oh I forgot to add I now have a full 8 meg connection on ADSL2.(sarcasm)

So what actually is involved in switching a line from 8-meg to 16-meg then? Seriously, I'm curious.

No idea, phone them and ask.

You phone them, you're the one who asked about it.

I see.

Exactly, stop asking me about things I already know you asked about.

I think it was V5 or summat, can't remember, it was the newest version I checked. I've taken it offline at the moment and reverted back to my 3COM router. The Netgear one was running really hot, I mean it was overboard hot.

Thanks for the advice though Cresta Fiesta and virtual Boy.

Oh I forgot to add I now have a full 8 meg connection on ADSL2.(sarcasm)

Netgears do tend to run hot, you're always best off mounting them vertically and giving them some breathing space on all sides.

My DG834N will crash on a really hot day when it's very busy with lots of traffic, some people have modded them with fans but I'll just let mine quietly fry, it's under warranty :lol:

Archived