Looks like it's going island wide...

Please note that our new ADSL2+ service will be rolled-out to the remaining exchange areas on the following dates:

1 July 2009 – St Johns, Ramsey, Marown, Laxey, Andreas, and Sulby (numbers beginning 80, 81, 85, 86, 88 and 89 respectively).

1 August 2009 – Douglas (numbers beginning with 6).

Please see this link for ADSL 2+ info - http://www.manxtelecom.com/company/adsl2-upgrade/adsl2.aspx

If you have any questions please let me know or call the Sales Desk on 636636.

There is a £40.00 upgrade charge per ADSL service to move to ADSL 2+.

Also - you need to ensure that you have an ADSL2+ compliant router for this service.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just signed up for ADSL2+ ready for the upgrade tomorrow, had to extend my contract for a further 18 months but not too fussed about that.

They said it should take between 2 and 5 days to be connected and id recieve a call when it was done. :thumbsup:

Also what is a BT iPlate? it says its a broadband accelerator, is it anything like a NTE-5 faceplate?

Apparently to take advantage your router needs to be connected to your master socket though.

Just signed up for ADSL2+ ready for the upgrade tomorrow, had to extend my contract for a further 18 months but not too fussed about that.

They said it should take between 2 and 5 days to be connected and id recieve a call when it was done. :thumbsup:

Also what is a BT iPlate? it says its a broadband accelerator, is it anything like a NTE-5 faceplate?

Apparently to take advantage your router needs to be connected to your master socket though.

The BT iPlate here it sits between master socket & faceplate, it filters the bell wire so any electrical noise induced from the bell wire is reduced.

Many people remove the bell-wire (MT will often disconnect it) if you're having issues with your connection.

NTE-5 faceplate has a built in filter, it plugs into your master telephone socket - has a phone type socket and RJ-ll socket for your router, this will filter all of your other extension sockets so you don't need filters on them.

Some info on different filters here @ ADSL Nation.

The BT iPlate here it sits between master socket & faceplate, it filters the bell wire so any electrical noise induced from the bell wire is reduced.

Many people remove the bell-wire (MT will often disconnect it) if you're having issues with your connection.

NTE-5 faceplate has a built in filter, it plugs into your master telephone socket - has a phone type socket and RJ-ll socket for your router, this will filter all of your other extension sockets so you don't need filters on them.

Some info on different filters here @ ADSL Nation.

Thanks matty I won't be needing one of those then, I dissconnected my bell wire ages ago and it made quite a big difference

I would appreciate it if any Ramsey type people who are getting the upgrade could report back once it's done, I'm seriously considering it.

There's no such thing as too much bandwidth!

Do I have to specifically ask for the upgrade or will it be bestowed upon me by the broadband gods?

I would appreciate it if any Ramsey type people who are getting the upgrade could report back once it's done, I'm seriously considering it.

Do I have to specifically ask for the upgrade or will it be bestowed upon me by the broadband gods?

You will have to ask your ISP.

You will have to ask your ISP.

Batman, to the asking machine!

I'm on the list now, have to wait the customary '5 to 10 days' for MT to flick the appropriate switch though.

Why they need a margin of error of five days, I really don't know.

I think they pluck a number out of the air, I was told 2-5 days, my brother in Ramsey was told 5 days and you were told 5-10 days...

I can't see it being on a first come first served basis, they may just wait upto 5 days to gather as many applications for a certain exchange and then do them all at once.

Maybe because there is lots of people ordering at the same time so the workload is increased? If it was just a case of flicking a switch then they wouldnt be able to get away with charging for it because the regulators would wave the unhappy stick.

If you were in the UK, the typical re-grade charge (and you would imagine, regrade process) is £11.00, which often the ISP waives. I don't think these types of charges (regrades, moves etc) are ever designed to be commensurate with the actual work involved, it's not a new concept - telecoms is the biggest culprit, but similar "soft" charges feature in the software\network world too.

Things work different elsewhere, for instance in the UK, the regulator decides what is a fair price which forces the operator to produce an efficient process to keep costs down, rather than letting the operator decide. That sort of regulation can apply to a variety of services and actions (mobile, broadband, fixed-line).

Maybe because there is lots of people ordering at the same time so the workload is increased? If it was just a case of flicking a switch then they wouldnt be able to get away with charging for it because the regulators would wave the unhappy stick.

So what actually is involved in switching a line from 8-meg to 16-meg then? Seriously, I'm curious.

Archived