Is there any word on the Peel update yet?

http://www.manx.net/default.asp?id=18&articleid=8726

"Businesses and residents in the Port Erin, Peel, and Kirk Michael exchange areas (numbers beginning 83, 84 and 87 respectively) are to get even faster broadband from 1st June, thanks to the introduction by Manx Telecom of ADSL2+, an enhanced broadband service which delivers faster upstream and downstream speeds. "

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any word on the Peel update yet?

http://www.manx.net/default.asp?id=18&articleid=8726

"Businesses and residents in the Port Erin, Peel, and Kirk Michael exchange areas (numbers beginning 83, 84 and 87 respectively) are to get even faster broadband from 1st June, thanks to the introduction by Manx Telecom of ADSL2+, an enhanced broadband service which delivers faster upstream and downstream speeds. "

Perfect, now I just need Wi-manx to confirm that they will be offering the same upgrade deal as in Castletown, i.e. new contract no fee, in these areas.

I have my upgrade sorted, now my monthly fee is starting to look reasonable, 8 times as fast as it was a little over a year ago for the same money, can't really complain.

Just need to source me a new router that does what I want, its not going well.

Switched to Wi-Manx from Domicillium last week, but even after a phone call and an email I still have not been switched to ADSL2+. Very disappointed, especially considering all the good things that are posted about them on here. Shoulda just paid Domicillium the £40 and stuck with them.

Switched to Wi-Manx from Domicillium last week, but even after a phone call and an email I still have not been switched to ADSL2+. Very disappointed, especially considering all the good things that are posted about them on here. Shoulda just paid Domicillium the £40 and stuck with them.

It typically takes between 5-10 days for the line re-grade to take place.

im down to 2.5 at night around 3 in the daytime .. unfuukinreal 12 and 14 meg for the same price i shell out each month.

they bullshitted me about the wiring in our street being the problem .. wasnt a problem when they upgraded from 0.5 to 2 meg i was getting 2.2 average then..

You pay for the cap not the speed. Disconnect all your internal wiring and plug the router into the main socket with a filter and check the speed. Still slow? swap the filter, still slow? get an engineer out, if it is external they will fix it, if it is internal then you pay and they will fix it. Simples.

done all that IM. same speed from the wall got several filters and swap then around regular aswell as rebooting router etc..

only thing left is a rewire inside .. what would happen do you think if i changed to wi manx and went wireless which i am seriously thinking about with 3 months free, and free modem/router .. would they be dearer than telecom to rewire my gaff do you know.

Thanks Matty - that kinda statement should be on the website with regards ADSL2+ upgrades though.

Anyways, I'd like to retract the above statement as a couple of hours after posting it I got a nice wee email from them to say that I was now switched on. Checked and getting a nice steady 12meg down and 750kb up.

A quick one though, does the switch to ADSL2+ mess with line attenuation? Mine has gone from 13db with ADSL to 17db with ADSL2+.

Thanks Matty - that kinda statement should be on the website with regards ADSL2+ upgrades though.

Anyways, I'd like to retract the above statement as a couple of hours after posting it I got a nice wee email from them to say that I was now switched on. Checked and getting a nice steady 12meg down and 750kb up.

A quick one though, does the switch to ADSL2+ mess with line attenuation? Mine has gone from 13db with ADSL to 17db with ADSL2+.

The ADSL2+ uses more frequencies than standard ADSL, so you will notice quite a difference in attenuation and SNR/Noise Margin figures, these figures can also change quite a bit during the day / evening - there seems to be more 'noise' in the evenings.

As long as your SNR/Noise margin is around/above 6db you should be fine.

done all that IM. same speed from the wall got several filters and swap then around regular aswell as rebooting router etc..

only thing left is a rewire inside .. what would happen do you think if i changed to wi manx and went wireless which i am seriously thinking about with 3 months free, and free modem/router .. would they be dearer than telecom to rewire my gaff do you know.

If you have one of the later NTE-5 type 'master sockets' you can unscrew the faceplate and there will be a 'test' socket behind the faceplate - this should isolate the rest of the internal wiring, if your connection speed is much better from here then there's likely a problem with the internal wiring.

If the signal is no better, then it would point to the issue being with the external wiring/termination, and/or distance from the exchange/ISAM. (What distance are you from your local exchange???)

If you suspect it is internal wiring, one of these might help.

Archived