Midge Bites

x-in-man

from here

* Vitamin B-1.

* Fabric softener sheets.

* Clear real – not artificial – vanilla.

* Electronic (ultrasonic) devices.

* Wristbands, neckbands and ankle bands impregnated with repellents.

* Electrocuting devices ("bug zappers").

* Odour-baited mosquito traps.

* Citrosa plant (geranium houseplant).

* Marigolds.

* Skin moisturizers that do not contain an approved repellent active ingredient.

I also heard about the Avon lotion, like here

Instead of using mosquito repellent issued by their unit, soldiers and workers at the base are buying Avon body lotion to repel midges on the West Coast. The company traditionally associated with images of well-dressed women selling cosmetics door-to-door is experiencing an unexpected boom thanks to the pesky insect. Neil Smith, a Royal Navy spokesman at HMS Clyde, near Helensburgh, said: "It's not official kit but nothing works better and the Marines are buying it themselves because the midges are so bad up there."

I am covered in bites from the little blighters, I'm liking the smoke a pipe idea :)

u be amazed at how many ppl will put up with the smell of smoke from a pipe, when the little blitters are about,

second hand smoke thoughts never come in to it lol

so wish me dad hadden stopped smokeing one, he had a use when he did :D

Avon "skin so soft" works for some, sometimes, perhaps...

Most repellents have DEET - diethyl-m-toluamide - as their main constituent. It works, but then it's so toxic it also eats away at plastics!

The best "natural" product is citronella. Try it. If it works for you then stick with it.

Archived