Tt Debrief

bluemonday

Was at Racket this morning picking up some tickets.

Obviously the place was full of bikers going home.

It struck me that they must be really keen to spend all that money to come over here despite everything.

No doubt the morons who organised the 'entertainment' will claim it was a success but from the comments of everyone I've spoken to, the opposite seems to be the opinion. And that includes the 5 bob box of fireworks.

It really does amaze me that they still return year after year.

There is such a reservoir of support/goodwill.

So options for change?

Lessons learnt?

( Not that it will do any good )

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have the gov ever put an article/questionnaire into publications like MCN actually asking what the bikers want by way of entertainment?

Or even gone to similar events to see what they have at those. Surely they wouldn't object to a few free trips?

I wonder if the govt will be big enough to hold their hands up and say "sorry we fucked up" (Obviously I don't expect them to use that form of words but you catch my drift)

I think the worst thing they could do is try and make out the entertainment thing was a success which would further destroy their credibility in this regard.

I think some sort of apology and promise of improvement, or reversion back to the previous format, would be welcomed. Although you can't undo what has been done it may enable things to move forward.

Just read page 2 of fridays Indie

'We genuinely would like to hear from people, especially the visitors and ask them to write to us at the department'

Perhaps a dedicated e mail address would be better?

I wonder if the govt will be big enough to hold their hands up and say "sorry we fucked up" (Obviously I don't expect them to use that form of words but you catch my drift)

I don't think they will, I'm expecting press releases and articles telling everyone it was a success and visitors and locals alike loved it, especially in the current climate etc etc. If it were a commercial operation, the organisers would been binned off plain and simple. I've spoken to a few people, the general consensus appears to be the entertainment has been dire this year.

I'd like to understand the rational behind the decision making - is it down to budgetry constraints or bad judgement?

Moving the entertainment\funds solely into the Villa complex was a bad move imo. Free entertainment on the promenade surely provides benefits to all of the local retailers\establishments, its not just Bushys that would benefit. I used to live on the prom a few years ago and looking out on the Balcony during TT - the prom would be chocca with people walking up and down, I ventured down a couple of times last week and it was dead, really dead.

I always thought the fair was better at Nobles Park too. Admitedley Chavs are more of a problem now, but a greater Police presence would hopefully solve that.

tourism@gov.im seems like a good place to start.

Ever tried getting a reply?

I have.

WASTE OF FUCKING TIME.

ETA

Weeks to get a single reply and that was only because I was sending the same mail time and time again every day.

ETA 2

Try reading what I said before you trot out one of your usual glib one line smart arse replies.

DEDICATED

EG

ttvisitorfeedback@gov.im

Trouble is, they're damned whatever they do.

I agree that the 'old' formula (burnouts and mini-motos, stilts and eating fire on the prom) was well past it's sell-by date - but they've replaced it with - nothing - this year.

I don't know what the finances are to get simulators and a fairground over - do we pay for that, or do we make money from it?

Seems that everyone I've spoken to wants something 'bike' related on the prom - maybe getting all the manufacturers to display their stuff, along with bike clubs (choppers, enduro, classics) and trade stands would be good - but would it detract from existing events like those in Peel and Laxey?

I think we could run a 'suggestions' thread for the DTL. Criticism is OK, but ideas on how to improve would be better.

Can't help that most of these public whinges about TT2009 on forums and on facebook are somewhat counterproductive.

Sure I believe improvements can be made in 2010. However I find precious little mention of:

• Fantastic record breaking biking action
  • Brilliant coverage on ITV4 showing the IOM in a truly spectacular light
  • Pretty good weather
  • The visit of two past and present motorbike superstars
  • Relatively few serious accidents compared to previous years
  • Some really good bands playing in both Bushys tents and other tents (experienced first hand)
  • One or two good nights in the villa (not experienced but commented on by others)
  • Reports of good days held in other parts of the Island

So you can trawl MF and other forums and find page after page of whinging, however a very small percentage offer constructive suggestions on improvements (the ones I like are below!) There is also a Facebook group now set up called TT2009 - Crap !!

What do we hope to achieve by airing such overwhelming negativity like this in public forums. Do we think would be visitors in future years will read these forums and think 'that will do for me, I am booking my ticket'. Do we want more people coming or less ?

Time to get a perspective on things. TT2009 was definitely not crap in my opinion. The bike racing (which is the main event) was some of the best and most dramatic ever seen.

I think additional stage on the prom to put on local and smaller UK bands, fun events, karaoke, talent show, appearances from racers, competitions etc would be good as well as the return of the big screen. Also heard suggestion of perhaps getting racers and marshalls etc to compete in mini motos, go karts or similar on the prom to bring the crowds down and perhaps meet and greet sessions with the racers.

Yes it can improve but for fucks sake lets pay a bit more attention to the positive aspects of the best road race in the world !!

Time to get a perspective on things. TT2009 was definitely not crap in my opinion. The bike racing (which is the main event) was some of the best and most dramatic ever seen.

Whilst I agree as far as the 'event' is concerned, it was very good - I'm especially impressed with the TV coverage. The problem is, to a lot of people - TT week means a lot more than just racing and I suspect most of the rants surround the entertainment and not the racing itself. It's possibly the only period of the year when the Island comes alive.

Seems that everyone I've spoken to wants something 'bike' related on the prom - maybe getting all the manufacturers to display their stuff, along with bike clubs (choppers, enduro, classics) and trade stands would be good - but would it detract from existing events like those in Peel and Laxey?

Totally. The highlight of TT week for my young lad (5) was being able to sit on the Honda bikes behind the Grandstand, that, and the Red Arrows at Ramsey. In terms of the prom, it doesn't need to be something high-end or costly, just something so people can browse up and down, bring the family, have a few quiet drinks and generally enjoy themselves. Some street entertainers\bands, exhibits, simulators, concept bikes - that sort of thing. I've never been to a motorsport event elsewhere but surely these types of events feature this kind of thing?

Whilst I agree as far as the 'event' is concerned, it was very good - I'm especially impressed with the TV coverage. The problem is, to a lot of people - TT week means a lot more than just racing and I suspect most of the rants surround the entertainment and not the racing itself. It's possibly the only period of the year when the Island comes alive.

Which is exactly why I think its counterproductive to have Facebook groups called 'TT2009 - Crap'. TT2009 was not crap. If there issues about prom entertainment then refer to that specifically in titles of threads, groups etc. Otherwise I think its misleading and doesnt achieve anything positive.

Facebook groups mean fuck all, I am in one called what do i do if a ginger kid bites me. They are not the views of the general public, but rather groups created that will amount to nothing.

Oh and my 2 pence was that it was just Douglas entertainment that was guff, everywhere else and the racing were great.

Facebook groups mean fuck all, I am in one called what do i do if a ginger kid bites me. They are not the views of the general public, but rather groups created that will amount to nothing.

Oh and my 2 pence was that it was just Douglas entertainment that was guff, everywhere else and the racing was great.

What do you do if a ginger kid bites you?

The consensus from many of the people I have spoken to (yeah, the fella down the pub). Is that the government deliberately made life difficult / impossible for people to organise any alternative entertainment that would constitute competition to their 'showcase' events at the Villa.

Hence no fair, burger vans, big screen, street entertainment.

If this was the case, then they should all be shot at Hanglo hill IMO.

Someone please tell me that even this bunch wouldn't stoop THAT low.

Archived