Organic

bluemonday

I'm not convinced that organic foods taste better than non organic foods, and I bet anyone claiming otherwise in this thread has never done a suitable and fair taste test to prove that their claims are valid.

Although I believe totally in the organic movement (less chemicals better for the environment and for me) I can't always afford to buy organic all the time. Organic carrots though definitley taste more 'carroty' I challenge you to try for yourself!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the food not absord the chemicals used in its production?

If that is the case, then would the food not using any chemicals to be absorbed be better for you??

I don't understand your thinking here. Can you explain again?

Don't think it's tough... is something that has been sprayed with chemicals absorbed those chemicals and is it going to affect you?

Would I be better boiling my potatoes with water out of my septic tank?

Nope but there's no reason why you shouldn't be growing your spuds with the stuff that goes into your septic tank.

The only organic stuff I buy is full fat organic milk, what a difference. Those that used to live in Kirk Micheal - it tastes exactly like Crowe's milk used to before the poor buggers had to start pastuerising it.

Nope but there's no reason why you shouldn't be growing your spuds with the stuff that goes into your septic tank.

The only organic stuff I buy is full fat organic milk, what a difference. Those that used to live in Kirk Micheal - it tastes exactly like Crowe's milk used to before the poor buggers had to start pastuerising it.

Hooray!

At last - someone else who likes proper milk! I though I was the only one left. Everyone seems to go for all the skimmed watered down stuff these days.

So is this organic milk unpasteurised? I thought it had to be.

So is this organic milk unpasteurised? I thought it had to be.

It is, it's just that it reminds me of Crowe's milk from many years ago.

Try it - you can really taste a lot of difference between that and non-organic.

Is the anything to do with Pam Crowe?

Also, you really really can't taste the difference.

People who say they can aren't lying, they really think they can, but in fact they can't.

Honestly, taste is something like 75% in the mind. Nobody in the world can distinguish between Pepsi and Coke reliably, but we all think we can and have a firm favourite:

http://www.hnl.bcm.tmc.edu/cache/eurekalert.org.htm

The same is true of wine experts who make their living from apparntly being able to detect subtle flavours, they cannot even tell white wine from red wine.

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/11/the...source=rss_feed

Try it if you host a dinner party, bung some cheap wine in an expensive bottle and see if anyone notices. Remember though, retroactive consent.

If you swap organic food and nonorganic packaging people will swear the one in the organic box is best and they won't be lying, they will genuinly belive it. Such is the awesome power of the mind.

People who say they can aren't lying, they really think they can, but in fact they can't.

Nope not that I know of.

And if it tastes good and I think it tastes much creamier and richer than non organic, then it errrm...... well it tastes good to me.

Woohoooo. Got my logical head on this afternoon. Watch out world!

• 1 month later...

In yesterdays Times

Organic food is a waste of money

Clicky

The idea that organic food is better for the environment is also questionable. Organic milk, for example, generates more carbon dioxide emissions than standard milk and uses significantly more land.

Honestly, taste is something like 75% in the mind. Nobody in the world can distinguish between Pepsi and Coke reliably, but we all think we can and have a firm favourite:

http://www.hnl.bcm.tmc.edu/cache/eurekalert.org.htm

The same is true of wine experts who make their living from apparntly being able to detect subtle flavours, they cannot even tell white wine from red wine.

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/11/the...source=rss_feed

Try it if you host a dinner party, bung some cheap wine in an expensive bottle and see if anyone notices. Remember though, retroactive consent.

If you swap organic food and nonorganic packaging people will swear the one in the organic box is best and they won't be lying, they will genuinly belive it. Such is the awesome power of the mind.

What a load of rubbish. You should re-read your Pepsi/Coke link. What they are actually testing is not if you can tell which is which, but if subliminal messages can affect your decision making.

The wine thing too is a hoax. The taste of different wines is as different as night and day. That said not all expensive wine is good tasting. However, a lot (probably the majority) of cheap wines I find virtually undrinkable.

In yesterdays Times

Organic food is a waste of money

Clicky

The idea that organic food is better for the environment is also questionable. Organic milk, for example, generates more carbon dioxide emissions than standard milk and uses significantly more land.

More land = more grass = more photosynthesis = more conversion of CO2-O2 = better for the environment?

Here's the thing, organic producers started out as small businesses with a view to providing a healthier, ethically minded alternative to commercially produced goods. In the last 5 yrs or so, large corporations, witnessing a dent in sales, started buying out some of those original small businesses (who by then showed very good success) or they started up their own large scale "organic" production companies. These large producers have unfortunately failed in most cases to retain the founding principles and ethics of the original small organic operations and instead have targeted maximum market share and ultimately profit as their main goal. To help them along, we have seen a weakening of the regulations intended to differentiate organic from non-organic produce e.g. more and more pesticides or quantities of pesticides can be sprayed on "organic" produce, without the disqualification of those products from the "organic" category. This is an "advantage" to large corporate producers who demand the use of pesticides and who can afford the pesticides, not the small producers who are, by in large, trying to "do the right thing". Also, it is especially important for small local producers to be supported as the don't have (and don't want) the same distribution channels as those available to large corps.

As to taste, I accept when people say they don't notice a difference when they eat organic fruit/veg (perhaps with the exception of carrots interestingly) however, eat organically for a year or so then try non-organic produce and the difference is immense.

Archived