O2 Singal On Iom?

fastie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

Hello - Sorry to bump up such on old thread of almost 4 years.. I'm just hoping someone can tell me whether it is still the case that you can pick up an O2 signal somewhere here on the Island, and if so where?

Just in case anyone was wondering: Basically, I've got an iPhone 5 which was purchased from the Carphone Warehouse. The SIM-free handsets sold there are sort-of unlocked so you can choose your own network, but will lock to the network of the first SIM card inserted. In order to activate it though, the SIM card has to be that of a UK network provider, so I inserted an O2 UK SIM card into it, and it is now useable (but on O2). This has obviously locked the phone to O2 due to it being the first SIM card inserted. Now that it's activated, though, I need to unlock it to use on a local network, but in order to do that, my IMEI number needs to be on their database, which at the moment (due to being on MT's database due to roaming) it isn't. So I need reception from O2 for a few minutes to make a chargeable call/text, for it to show up on their database/register on their network, so that they can verify it's locked to their network, in order to unlock it for me.

Anyone have any information/experience getting a signal here? - Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if it saves me making a trip across for the sake of 2-3 minutes!

Cheers!

Hello - Sorry to bump up such on old thread of almost 4 years.. I'm just hoping someone can tell me whether it is still the case that you can pick up an O2 signal somewhere here on the Island, and if so where?

Just in case anyone was wondering: Basically, I've got an iPhone 5 which was purchased from the Carphone Warehouse. The SIM-free handsets sold there are sort-of unlocked so you can choose your own network, but will lock to the network of the first SIM card inserted. In order to activate it though, the SIM card has to be that of a UK network provider, so I inserted an O2 UK SIM card into it, and it is now useable (but on O2). This has obviously locked the phone to O2 due to it being the first SIM card inserted. Now that it's activated, though, I need to unlock it to use on a local network, but in order to do that, my IMEI number needs to be on their database, which at the moment (due to being on MT's database due to roaming) it isn't. So I need reception from O2 for a few minutes to make a chargeable call/text, for it to show up on their database/register on their network, so that they can verify it's locked to their network, in order to unlock it for me.

Anyone have any information/experience getting a signal here? - Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if it saves me making a trip across for the sake of 2-3 minutes!

Cheers!

I would suggest Point of Ayre, the closest part of the rock to the mainland. I'm sure I got an O2 signal there in June.

Cheers!

I have a UK phone for business purposes on 02 and my signal seems okay on most parts of the island to be honest.

I'm sure I recall a Telecom chap saying there is a technical limit of range on digital due to the time the signal takes to reach you from off-Island, that the reply is outside the maximum time slot and not accepted, so you may be fighting a losing battle :-(

I'm sure I recall a Telecom chap saying there is a technical limit of range on digital due to the time the signal takes to reach you from off-Island, that the reply is outside the maximum time slot and not accepted, so you may be fighting a losing battle :-(

I know there's some logic to avoid airplane scatter & similar. I would have thought that PoA to nearest part of Scotland was doable though, it's < 35km I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

Archived