La Dolca Vita's Views All In One Place?

Keith

Well If your passport says your someone else what do you thinks going to happen, have you tried flying latelely with a passport that says you are some one else jeezz get a gripmon the modern world, you know terroisim et al

It's not really another person, it is my passport, I just haven't changed it since I got married. I had 8 years left on my passport when I got married, they do not give refunds or change the name but said it is OK to continue to use it which I have done, without any problems. Anyway all is well now, we have located the wedding certificate so I am who I am....with bells on :)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not really another person, it is my passport, I just haven't changed it since I got married. I had 8 years left on my passport when I got married, they do not give refunds or change the name but said it is OK to continue to use it which I have done, without any problems. Anyway all is well now, we have located the wedding certificate so I am who I am....with bells on :)

Good thinking. That seven year itch can cost a fortune, and the last thing you need is to have to fork out for a new passport in your old name again.

Quote .......

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain."

I like these better..........Quote (1)

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.

Quote (2)

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

Incidentally I'm much nearer my pension than my twenties.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.

Quote (2)

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

Ahhhh! The Tooting Popular Front.

Fantastic stuff.

What should LDV's society look like?

How would society get there?

What are the advantages?

How does 'crime & punishment' (or crime and non-punishment) work?

And this is "local news" how???

LDV does not even live on the Island!

Quote (2)

Ahhhh! The Tooting Popular Front.

Fantastic stuff.

Not at all, both from respected and intelligent people.

The first is accredited to John Stuart Mill a 19th Century philosopher.

The second was from John Kenneth Galbraith mid 20th century economist.

Both quotes are highly perceptive, though it is appreciated that their relevance will pass way over the head of a typical Manx resident and/or politician.

Both quotes are highly perceptive, though it is appreciated that their relevance will pass way over the head of a typical Manx resident and/or politician.

Perceptive my arse!

John Stuart Mill was also an opposition MP

and Glabraith was an Economist working for the Americans.

You read things as well then.

Go to trap four next time, there's some Voltaire there.

Perceptive my arse!

John Stuart Mill was also an opposition MP

and Glabraith was an Economist working for the Americans.

You read things as well then.

Go to trap four next time, there's some Voltaire there.

As comments about conservatism they are quite valid, just because they may not suit your view on life doesn't detract from them.

Incidentally Rog's quote which started this little diversion came from Winston Churchill. Now what did he end up as? Ah yes got it a UK Conservative PM.

It’s easy to mock the kind of views that LDV espouses, and I’ve been as guilty as anyone of doing so. It’s more difficult, however, to recall that time in our lives when we honestly believed that there was a ‘better way’ of doing things – and that the solutions were staring us in the face but too many were too short-sighted to see them.

Now that we’re older it is so easy to criticize the enthusiasm of youth, probably because our own optimism was gradually eroded by the cynics and opportunists around us. Our experience tells us that people are mostly indolent and unconcerned as long as their own little piece of the world is providing them with their basic requirements – sufficient food, a reasonable amount of leisure and entertainment and the opportunity for some miniscule advancement for ourselves or our children.

The fire that burned inside us when we were young has slowly but surely been quenched by the disappointments and betrayals of the passing years. Therefore, when we’re confronted by the youthful enthusiasm of someone who believes that the world can be changed, we hide our own failures and inadequacies with mocking retorts.

I have done the same and, being a fairly shallow person, will probably continue to do so from time to time – especially when the views expressed depart from the world of the possible into the realms of fantasy – but that is not to say that I don’t respect the sanguinity and confidence of those who proclaim them.

Unless there are people, especially young people, who are prepared to take an interest in the world around them; unless those people are prepared to consider different solutions to fundamental problems, and unless those people are prepared to deal with the mockery of aged cynics such as ourselves, the future will be a very bleak place indeed.

As comments about conservatism they are quite valid, just because they may not suit your view on life doesn't detract from them.

Incidentally Rog's quote which started this little diversion came from Winston Churchill. Now what did he end up as? Ah yes got it a UK Conservative PM.

So you and Rog both quoting from opposition parties "we're better than you are, nah, nah!" - generally you're both talking bollocks.

So you and Rog both quoting from opposition parties "we're better than you are, nah, nah!" - generally you're both talking bollocks.

Why is it bollocks?

Do you know? Do you ever think? Are you capable of objective analysis?

Or do you just accept the world as we're encouraged to view it by the media and other assorted vested interests?

Archived