Apple Store For Douglas Or Just More Pc Hear Say?

Titanic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the great things about switching your friends and relatives over to Macs is that you no longer have to waste huge amounts of time fixing their irritating Windows problems. There is no longer that whole uncertainty of not knowing what crazy malware installed itself on their machine etc. No more worrying about that crap software they installed because the pop up looked like a message from Microsoft. No more corrupted registry. No need to ask them when they last defragged. No need to worry whether they've even got enough space on the drive to do a defrag. And no need to routinely re install every few months. All of that shit goes away.

And if there really ever was a problem you would be dealing with only one company - and that company has a record of much higher than average customer satisfaction. This is value for money. The up front cost might seem higher but you get more value over the lifetime of the product IMO.

[and the sheer techy joy of using a well engineered 64 bit Unix with all of that power under the hood]

They're full of nice stuff. And they are very well run. The Apple retail experience is very well tuned and invariably staffed by bright enthusiastic people.

And they often do good stuff too - like hosting interesting events and lectures. Bit like, say, the FNAC.

They're full of nice stuff. And they are very well run. The Apple retail experience is very well tuned and invariably staffed by bright enthusiastic people.

And they often do good stuff too - like hosting interesting events and lectures. Bit like, say, the FNAC.

Exactly why we will never get one on the island.

A "Genius Bar" would be great, in house repairs, upgrades and advice. Plus I wouldn't have to go to Liverpool to use my JMU student card.

But they call their technical support area the 'genius bar'! Now if that's not a compelling argument for burning every last one to the ground, I don't know what is.

There's just something about the sanitized kookiness of Apple that for me taints any promise of good service and customer satisfaction. They're like the girl who thinks wearing glittery butterfly wings and speaking at a frequency audible only to dogs will make her popular.

any promise of good service and customer satisfaction.

Good service and high levels of customer satisfaction are the reality.

But they call their technical support area the 'genius bar'! Now if that's not a compelling argument for burning every last one to the ground, I don't know what is.

The Microsoft stores have a copy-cat service called 'Microsoft Gurus'. They wish they could be Apple.

The Microsoft stores have a copy-cat service called 'Microsoft Gurus'. They wish they could be Apple.

Which is precisely why I could never bring myself to go into a microsoft store either! I confess that I'm more averse to Apple because, with their awkward west coast hipsterism and that blend of preachyness and contrived fun that's like something from a baptist playgroup, they've become the respectable face of middle age gadget fetishism.

To me, buying Apple is the same as donning a muddy brown pullover and filling my house with alarm clocks that project the time on the ceiling, pens that work underwater to a depth of a thousand feet, and night vision goggles.

To me, buying Apple is the same as donning a muddy brown pullover and filling my house with alarm clocks that project the time on the ceiling, pens that work underwater to a depth of a thousand feet, and night vision goggles.

That's silly. And a bit strained.

Use whatever suits you best. If Apple annoys you as a brand because it somehow reminds you of a girl you once knew (I can understand that) then get a Linux machine. Unless you need color management. Obviously. There are plenty of choices apart from Apple.

Apple products - overrated, overpriced and designed to tie you in to their own proprietary software etc, far more than the evil Microsoft.

Surely proprietary is a good thing in this context ? A one stop solution with the operating system being designed to run on the specific hardware and everything coming from a single source. And one point of contact if there is an issue.

Even Google are designing Chrome (the Linux based open OS which they are building with Ubuntu) to run on an essentially closed platform.

In terms of the stuff we actually use - well apart from maybe Final Cut which is pretty much the industry standard for video now, I cannot think of any other proprietary Apple apps which anyone is tied in to using. There are considerable advantages to closed / proprietary platforms. It means that software engineers can build better applications and test them on all known configurations.

Apple products - overrated, overpriced and designed to tie you in to their own proprietary software etc, far more than the evil Microsoft.

Well that's complete bullshit because we run our business on macs and I have identical software on my PC laptop as well as dual booting windows on my mac if I need to.

One of the great things about switching your friends and relatives over to Macs is that you no longer have to waste huge amounts of time fixing their irritating Windows problems. There is no longer that whole uncertainty of not knowing what crazy malware installed itself on their machine etc. No more worrying about that crap software they installed because the pop up looked like a message from Microsoft. No more corrupted registry. No need to ask them when they last defragged. No need to worry whether they've even got enough space on the drive to do a defrag. And no need to routinely re install every few months. All of that shit goes away.

And if there really ever was a problem you would be dealing with only one company - and that company has a record of much higher than average customer satisfaction. This is value for money. The up front cost might seem higher but you get more value over the lifetime of the product IMO.

[and the sheer techy joy of using a well engineered 64 bit Unix with all of that power under the hood]

Pongo, yesterday:

34jan29-fanboy.jpg

Even Google are designing Chrome (the Linux based open OS which they are building with Ubuntu) to run on an essentially closed platform.

Explain that one to me. A closed platform open source operating system? How does that work?

Archived