Apple Store For Douglas Or Just More Pc Hear Say?

Titanic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apple products - overrated, overpriced and designed to tie you in to their own proprietary software etc, far more than the evil Microsoft.

Well that's complete bullshit because we run our business on macs and I have identical software on my PC laptop as well as dual booting windows on my mac if I need to.

I said 'far more' - I didn't say completely. When you can run your iPod without iTunes, come back and let me know.

Apple products - overrated, overpriced and designed to tie you in to their own proprietary software etc, far more than the evil Microsoft.

Well that's complete bullshit because we run our business on macs and I have identical software on my PC laptop as well as dual booting windows on my mac if I need to.

I said 'far more' - I didn't say completely. When you can run your iPod without iTunes, come back and let me know.

Sorry to say this but the following programs are working alternatives (some not fully but some identical) to itunes running on Mac, Windoze and Linux

Amarok

Banshee

Floola

gtkpod

MediaMonkey

Rhythmbox

SharePod

Songbird

Winamp

YamiPod

I've used this to run my ipod fine: http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

And I can name about 10 others if you want... Still I went back to itunes because I preferred it. Also you don't need a Mac to run itunes do you?

Explain that one to me. A closed platform open source operating system? How does that work?

Which bit are you having problems with ? Chrome is an open source OS but the Google branded products will meet specific hardware criteria. Makes good sense given that people want stuff which is actually going to work reliably and be easy to maintain.

One of the great things about switching your friends and relatives over to Macs is that you no longer have to waste huge amounts of time fixing their irritating Windows problems. There is no longer that whole uncertainty of not knowing what crazy malware installed itself on their machine etc. No more worrying about that crap software they installed because the pop up looked like a message from Microsoft. No more corrupted registry. No need to ask them when they last defragged. No need to worry whether they've even got enough space on the drive to do a defrag. And no need to routinely re install every few months. All of that shit goes away.

And if there really ever was a problem you would be dealing with only one company - and that company has a record of much higher than average customer satisfaction. This is value for money. The up front cost might seem higher but you get more value over the lifetime of the product IMO.

[and the sheer techy joy of using a well engineered 64 bit Unix with all of that power under the hood]

Christ - when did you last use Windows - 1995??

The Microsoft stores have a copy-cat service called 'Microsoft Gurus'. They wish they could be Apple.

Apple spend all their time wishing they were Microsoft and Microsoft spend all their time trying to be like Apple. :P

Jersey has an Apple Store and we're a similar size population.

It doesn't seem to be listed as an official Apple run store. Perhaps it's just an Apple retailer like Bigfish?

http://www.i-quipment.com/

You're right. We bought a great dock when we were there in March and I just saw the sign outside. Blue Islands were great (if overpriced) to fly with and even hand-walked the box to the plane.

Which bit are you having problems with ? Chrome is an open source OS but the Google branded products will meet specific hardware criteria. Makes good sense given that people want stuff which is actually going to work reliably and be easy to maintain.

The 'closed platform' part. I can download Chromium today and run it on my pc, hows that a closed platform?

The 'closed platform' part. I can download Chromium today and run it on my pc, hows that a closed platform?

The Wikipedia entry identifies the differences between Chromium and Chrome OSs.

Also on November 19th, Google released Chrome OS's source code under the BSD license as the Chromium OS project.[11] As with other open source projects, developers are modifying code from Chromium OS and building their own versions, whereas Google Chrome OS code will only be supported by Google and its partners, and will only run on hardware designed for the purpose.

The Wikipedia entry identifies the differences between Chromium and Chrome OSs.

I still don't see how that makes it a closed platform. From Google "they fundamentally share the same code base". Yes there's a supported version thats hardware specific designed for OEMs and an open source version, but that doesn't mean it's a closed platform. Google won't manufacture Chrome hardware, they'll provide a build for OEMs to build. That's different from apple, see?

Archived