Summerland

bluemonday

What happened to Mike and Graham Priests Hotel, conference and leisure complex proposal? I thought they were 'runner up' to the Sefton group and their attempt at world domination? They apparently had the funding agreed!

The Gov chose the Sefton on March 19th 2009 it was five months later they failed to reach an agreement with the Sefton on the Heads of Terms for the lease. It would be interesting to know what the sticking points were. I would hope the Gov immediately approached the Priests' to reconsider the proposal but would not bet on it, and lots of things can change in 5 months so perhaps the Priests were not minded to go through the process again. Maybe discussing the Heads of Terms for the lease individually with all parties, before choosing, would have had a better chance of success

I thought it was well known. Govt refuses to sell any freehold - ever. GFL was pissed off about leasehold terms and walked away.

For some reason, govt always wants to keep a finger in the pie of land sales - Lord knows why.

Perhaps we should ask our fabulous Council of Ministers!?

The reason the gov was not willing to sell any freehold was because that was never part of the deal, the project was to develop the site for the gov.

Not to long ago the Priests were very interested in continuing, going as far as to lobby Tynwald to have an open public consultation not just go with the Sefton Group's plan.

But the Wave was a shit ill-concived idea that didn't make full use of the site that would never have been built, The Sefton Group were attempting to off set their agreement to keep the facilities in the Castle Mona complex so they could develop those sites as wholly residential.

I just can't see why they can't re-build Summerland themselves, of course without the Aquadrome this time. It makes me wonder how they got away with knocking it down in the first place, since all of the new designs are basically toned down Summerland's. What a waste of money this has all been.

They could have done the place up and made it look almost in-keeping with the prom with the money they spent knocking it down e.t.c

They could have done the place up and made it look almost in-keeping with the prom with the money they spent knocking it down e.t.c

I'm not sure about that. Summerland was always a horrible looking thing and even by the mid-90's was run down and crumbling, god knows what kind of state it was in when they knocked it down. I can't see how they could have made it look in-keeping with the rest of the prom without hanging a huge canvass over it and painting and entirely different building on there.

Given our deteriorating relationship with the Big Island perhaps a Guns of Navarone emplacement would be a good plan.

I'm currently watching 'From Dusk till Dawn' on DVD. I suggest the Island's very own Titty Twister strip club, preferably *with* Salma Hayek and Juliette Lewis. :ph34r:

I just can't see why they can't re-build Summerland themselves, of course without the Aquadrome this time. It makes me wonder how they got away with knocking it down in the first place, since all of the new designs are basically toned down Summerland's. What a waste of money this has all been.

whoah - what you been smokin'?

I think they should have a word with the people who made the cliff face safe last time, clearly didn't do a very good job if it's going to cost 90K to fix again.

Is the figure of 90K correct, I'm pretty sure I have seen the sum of 900K mentioned somewhere in the press, I could be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly that is the figure. :(

Archived