Summerland

bluemonday

From MR

DTL looks 'afresh' at Summerland site

Published online at 26/01/2010 17:43:07

The use of the Summerland site at the end of Douglas Promenade is being reassessed and non-leisure uses will be considered

In the House of Keys today, Tourism and Leisure Minister Martyn Quayle said the change of approach followed the failure of the much publicised 'Wave' scheme, which would have seen the construction of a multi-use leisure facility.

Mr Quayle said all options for the site were now being considered afresh, and alternative plans would be announced in due course.

In reply to a question from North Douglas MHK John Houghton he said he couldn't guarantee the site would be used for leisure purposes:

non-leisure uses will be considered

he couldn't guarantee the site would be used for leisure purposes

So that'll be apartments then

(Small felt musuem in the basement hopefully)

non-leisure uses will be considered

he couldn't guarantee the site would be used for leisure purposes

So that'll be apartments then

(Small felt musuem in the basement hopefully)

I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to get to a point most people probably suspected was inevitable.

What happened to Mike and Graham Priests Hotel, conference and leisure complex proposal? I thought they were 'runner up' to the Sefton group and their attempt at world domination? They apparently had the funding agreed!

The Gov chose the Sefton on March 19th 2009 it was five months later they failed to reach an agreement with the Sefton on the Heads of Terms for the lease. It would be interesting to know what the sticking points were. I would hope the Gov immediately approached the Priests' to reconsider the proposal but would not bet on it, and lots of things can change in 5 months so perhaps the Priests were not minded to go through the process again. Maybe discussing the Heads of Terms for the lease individually with all parties, before choosing, would have had a better chance of success

I think the use of this site should be reserved for leisure facilities which, IMO, are desperately needed and well overdue over here, and which would be well supported with the right product mix. We deserve much better than this.

There should be no rush for a 'fire sale', there should be no rush to sell off the land cheaply simply to raise cash. The reason people are not investing at the moment is that times are hard everywhere. Tidy up the site, and make part of it a temporary car park - anything for now.

Merge the DTL with the DTI, and we could build something ourselves with the HR/Management savings alone, in partnership with a developer.

I think the use of this site should be reserved for leisure facilities which, IMO, are desperately needed and well overdue over here, and which would be well supported with the right product mix. We deserve much better than this.

There should be no rush for a 'fire sale', there should be no rush to sell off the land cheaply simply to raise cash. The reason people are not investing at the moment is that times are hard everywhere. Tidy up the site, and make part of it a temporary car park - anything for now.

Merge the DTL with the DTI, and we could build something ourselves with the HR/Management savings alone, in partnership with a developer.

Spot on.

So its an eye sore so what, I would rather the so called eye sore now with a chance of some leisure facilities than yet more soulless and useless apartments.

Planning on the island needs a real looking at. Leisure facilities and first time buyers houses need priority apartments refused. How that looming and out of place monstrosity that is being built by Tesco got permission (in an area that was talked about being for leisure) is beyond me.

Best would be as a memorial gardens.

Low cost, low maintenance, and very appropriate.

OMG - I agree with Rog, maybe I need a brain transplant - anyone want to donate?

Memorial gardens - by far the most fitting use for the place.

Best would be as a memorial gardens.

Low cost, low maintenance, and very appropriate.

OMG - I agree with Rog, maybe I need a brain transplant - anyone want to donate?

Memorial gardens - by far the most fitting use for the place.

I don't really believe people would want that. I certainly wouldn't, though I'm not saying there shouldn't be some sort of memorial of sorts there.

Whilst it's important to remember of course, it's not healthy to focus IMO, and with it being such a large site - a focus it would certainly be, and I believe a little visited one as a garden.

Better to have leisure facilties, fun and opportunities for the young. Summerland was a generation ago on a very different Isle of Man.

Archived