Islam In The Isle Of Man

IOM_Muslim

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. Just thought I would make a topic on here to first of all say 'Hi, we are here!' and also to maybe have some good chats and discussions.

I'm not representing anybody, I'm just here to chat. I've lived over here all my life but became Muslim in my first year of uni.

Muslims have lived on the IOM for about 20 years or so, but I've only been Muslim myself for just over 2 years now.

I was looking for a 'introduce yourself' topic on this forum, but couldn't find one, so I made this topic instead.

PS: It would be nice if we could chat without anybody being aggressive. After all I'm just a normal person.

Peace.

cool.gif

Gosh!

You so remind me of someone called LDV. Probably just a coincidence. You're not from Salford by any chance? :rolleyes:

There is a brief history of Sheik Abdullah Quilliam in New Manx Worthies - adopted name from one he saw on a tombstone on his arrival in Liverpool - no Manx connection at all. I suspect the Quilliam foundation set up to help counter radical Islam wishes they had done better homework re their adopted name.

There is a brief history of Sheik Abdullah Quilliam in New Manx Worthies - adopted name from one he saw on a tombstone on his arrival in Liverpool - no Manx connection at all. I suspect the Quilliam foundation set up to help counter radical Islam wishes they had done better homework re their adopted name.

Did you see the articles I posted above ? There is a Manx connection if only in so much as he lived on the island. And his son married a Manx woman (née Kerruish). Son and grandson went to King Bill's.

Hey everyone. Just thought I would make a topic on here to first of all say 'Hi, we are here!' and also to maybe have some good chats and discussions.

PS: It would be nice if we could chat without anybody being aggressive. After all I'm just a normal person.

Peace.

cool.gif

Welcome. As you will have found out by looking at the site the range of topics here is enormous. Your comments will be great to see. I suspect that much of the banter is just that - people pulling one another's legs so don't take it too seriously.

Personally I find that the Ahmadiyya branch of the Muslim religion is a particularly interesting and tolerant group. My brother did a lot of work to find them the site for their Mosque in Bradford. Those of the community that I have met are terrific people. I do find it sad however that such a tolerant and peace loving group seem to be subject to enormous persecution in Pakistan and Indonesia in particular. Do you know why this is?

I am rather like the Japanese - Shinto when you are born because it buids roots with your ancestry, Christian when you get married because the ceremony is nice and Buddhist when you are old because it teaches calm and peace of mind.

Did you see the articles I posted above ? There is a Manx connection if only in so much as he lived on the island. And his son married a Manx woman (née Kerruish). Son and grandson went to King Bill's.

Daughter of Speaker J.R. Kerruish. Does that make him Albert Kerruish a cousin of Charlie (and I suppose Anne Craine & Claire Christian)?

Peace.

cool.gif

Welcome. As you will have found out by looking at the site the range of topics here is enormous. Your comments will be great to see. I suspect that much of the banter is just that - people pulling one another's legs so don't take it too seriously.

Personally I find that the Ahmadiyya branch of the Muslim religion is a particularly interesting and tolerant group. My brother did a lot of work to find them the site for their Mosque in Bradford. Those of the community that I have met are terrific people. I do find it sad however that such a tolerant and peace loving group seem to be subject to enormous persecution in Pakistan and Indonesia in particular. Do you know why this is?

I am rather like the Japanese - Shinto when you are born because it buids roots with your ancestry, Christian when you get married because the ceremony is nice and Buddhist when you are old because it teaches calm and peace of mind.

I had a quick read and although I'm not one for religion, I like various principles mentioned, especially when it 'strongly rejects violence and terrorism in any form and for any reason'. :thumbsup:

Sounds confused and incoherent: a picking and choosing of what you fancy depending on what feels best. Am I right to assume that it is a case of picking out a few bits one likes and then swapping them for other bits from other religions as one's circumstances change?

[sounds confused and incoherent: a picking and choosing of what you fancy depending on what feels best. Am I right to assume that it is a case of picking out a few bits one likes and then swapping them for other bits from other religions as one's circumstances change?

Hi! It's called adapting to the changing needs and challenges of life rather than being stuck in one rut fom cradle to grave.

yes - it was Abdullah I was taking about, his offspring I agree do have links - have you ever tried to read the nonsense under 'Prof' Leon's name in Manx Quarterly - I would assume you must have an excellent library of press cuttings - my own interests don't cover the modern period (hasles with copyright, libel (intended or otherwise) etc mean I can't use on my website)

That's sort of what I mean, it comes across like someone or a group of people feeling that at any moment or stage in life they can pick bits of religions they like and feel a bit better because of the ideas they put across. It does seem very much like the New Age spiritual rubbish that many people indulge in, often where aspects of ancient and modern religions have bits used for the sake of designing something that makes people feel a bit better about life.

I'm glad to see people here disapproving of the 'PS' that I put. The only reason I put it is because on every online chat room, discussion etc etc that I go to, I just get a barrage of hate and flaming just because I'm Muslim. It's nice to see people here aren't as intolerant as that.

Yeah ur right Topaz; Quilliam was a Muslim from back in the day, but he left the island and, as far as I am aware, there weren't any Muslims on the island until recent years. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

...where aspects of ancient and modern religions have bits used for the sake of designing something that makes people feel a bit better about life.

Well Shintoism, Christianity and Buddhism are hardly what one might call 'New Age' or 'modern religions'. If it makes people better about life should you be against it or disparage it? I would have thought feeling better about life is a good thing.

Manshimajin

Well Shintoism, Christianity and Buddhism are hardly what one might call 'New Age' or 'modern religions'. If it makes people better about life should you be against it or disparage it? I would have thought feeling better about life is a good thing.

I know that about these religions. What I was referring to is the blending of these religions. It bears some similarities to the western new age spirituality and paganism where things are hashed together.

Feeling better about life is a good thing, of course, but if that involves holding beliefs without evidence on spirits or spirit, or gods, etc., then it really is something that people should do without. There has to be some interest in looking into what is true or not and keeping that in mind rather than be sucked in by the credulousness of others or through imaginative ideas that change thinking on life but no good reason for holding them.

IOM Muslim

'm glad to see people here disapproving of the 'PS' that I put. The only reason I put it is because on every online chat room, discussion etc etc that I go to, I just get a barrage of hate and flaming just because I'm Muslim. It's nice to see people here aren't as intolerant as that.

Yeah ur right Topaz; Quilliam was a Muslim from back in the day, but he left the island and, as far as I am aware, there weren't any Muslims on the island until recent years. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I think people make the mistake of hating Muslims and not simply hating Islam.

Archived