Islam In The Isle Of Man

IOM_Muslim

Hey everyone. Just thought I would make a topic on here to first of all say 'Hi, we are here!' and also to maybe have some good chats and discussions.

I'm not representing anybody, I'm just here to chat. I've lived over here all my life but became Muslim in my first year of uni.

Muslims have lived on the IOM for about 20 years or so, but I've only been Muslim myself for just over 2 years now.

I was looking for a 'introduce yourself' topic on this forum, but couldn't find one, so I made this topic instead.

PS: It would be nice if we could chat without anybody being aggressive. After all I'm just a normal person.

Peace.

cool.gif

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS: It would be nice if we could chat without anybody being aggressive.

What the hell's that supposed to mean? Why do you assume we're all going to be aggressive? Come here and say that and I'll crump your hooves in goodstyle, you patronising arsehole.

Welcome! People who introduce themselves on this forum or sometimes just make gentle comments tend to get universally shot down in flames - please don't take it personally, that's just the Manx way!

Muslims have lived on the IOM for about 20 years or so,

cool.gif

And the rest..........

Abdullah Quilliam

William Abdullah Quilliam

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William Henry Quilliam (April 10, 1856[1][2][3] – 1932), who changed his name to Abdullah Quilliam, was a 19th century convert from Christianity to Islam, noted for founding England's first mosque and Islamic centre.

Background

William Quilliam was born in Liverpool to a wealthy Manx family in 1856. His father, Robert Quilliam, was a watch manufacturer. William was educated at the Liverpool Institute and King William's College on the Isle of Man. He began work as a solicitor in 1878.

Sheikh Abdullah Quilliam (1851-1932) wrote books, plays, and novels, as well as translating texts from Arabic, Persian and Turkish. He was also among the most respected Muslim poets of his generation, writing in both Manx and English. His style is redolent of Tennyson and Wordsworth, with occasional shades of Emily Dickinson, an important influence on British Muslim verse in the late Victorian period.

· The Sheikh's Passing Thoughts

· Jews under Christian Rule

· An Anglo-Saxon King Proclaims the Unity of Allah and that Muhammad is His Prophet

Sheikh Abdullah Quilliam, writing as Professor H. M. Léon, M.A., D.C.L., F.S.P., etc. (1916)

Poetry by Abdullah Quilliam

· Islamic Resignation · Kindliness · The Onward Path · The Riddle of Life · The Gateway of the Grave · Nil Desperandum! · Scale Force · A Muslim Anthem · After Many Years · What is Life?

We are all just 'normal people', what ever they may be. Welcome to the forum, not sure why you've made such a deal about your religion but hey, whatever floats yer boat, religion had it's day...in the dark ages before science and sense. I quite like the expression 'There's a boat in the morning' it isn't something I would say but I do find it quite amusing when others do.

Sheikh Abdullah Quilliam (1851-1932) wrote books, plays, and novels, as well as translating texts from Arabic, Persian and Turkish. He was also among the most respected Muslim poets of his generation, writing in both Manx and English ...

Did you see these 2 article about the family which I posted on another thread ? Here again:

THE MAN WHO CHANGED HIS NAME - IOM Weekly Times - 11th August 1967

The arrival of Bill Kerruish in the Isle of Man five years ago caused a minor stir among Manx people with long memories. They recognised him as the son of Billal Quilliam - and the grandson of Abdullah Quilliam. They were two of the most remarkable men ever to bear Manx names. They both had spectacular careers. They both ran into serious trouble with the law.

These faded cuttings relate to a long forgotten court case. The first two scans are an item from the IOM Weekly Times. The third is from the Daily Mail (10th August 1967).

awkr01.th.jpg awkr02.th.jpg awkr03.th.jpg

Archived