Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

People vote with their feet (and the truth hurts!)

Barrie Stevens.

OK Barrie, thanks for your reply, even if I fail to understand what you're on about.

I've no wish to steer this thread in a different direction, but it sounds like you were a come over, and have now left. I've no problem with that, and I think you'll find most Manx people also wouldn't have any problem with it.

Fortunately for you, the Island and the Manx people continue to keep close ties with many 3rd world countries, England included.

How do you expalin such a silly remark as England being a 3rd world country.

Quite simply that, for a while recently, when the bilateral healthcare agreement with England was uncertain, travellers to England were advised to have healthcare insurance. Just as you would have when travelling to any 3rd world country. Bizarrely, venturing to Wales or Scotland was OK.

Currently, my feelings are being compounded by the fiasco with tuition fees. But there's another subject...

Please feel free to reply, but lets try and keep the subject to the Steam Packet....

I don't have the inside track on the numbers, but I would guess that the biggest cost that the Racket group has to deal with is interest repayments, and minimising trips doesn't address that point

Tugger, the interest repayments are made to Macquarie, which err... owns the Racket. Go figure!

Ken Usher from the RMT Union talks about the meeting with MHKs over the jobs threat from Mezzeron 8th December 2010

SD video : http://www.manxtube.com/video/2529/Steampacket-latest

HD video : http://vimeo.com/channels/153576

ITV Granada IOM

If you really are the telly, which I doubt, ask these staunch unionists who claim to be Manx patriots where the Racket's payroll is. I work in the shipping sector, and it is an open secret that in order to avoid Manx national insurance, our proud local ferry service artificially manages payroll in - THE CHANNEL ISLANDS. Almost all of the bleating recently fom the Racket has been bullshit. But we know that anyway, don't we?

I don't have the inside track on the numbers, but I would guess that the biggest cost that the Racket group has to deal with is interest repayments, and minimising trips doesn't address that point

Tugger, the interest repayments are made to Macquarie, which err... owns the Racket. Go figure!

I'm not sure that's true.

Not quite... The financing is through Spanish an Portugese banks.

So who are the shareholders? With IOMSPCo being registered as a NMV the AR's doesn't show that information.

Ken Usher from the RMT Union talks about the meeting with MHKs over the jobs threat from Mezzeron 8th December 2010

SD video : http://www.manxtube.com/video/2529/Steampacket-latest

HD video : http://vimeo.com/channels/153576

ITV Granada IOM

If you really are the telly, which I doubt, ask these staunch unionists who claim to be Manx patriots where the Racket's payroll is. I work in the shipping sector, and it is an open secret that in order to avoid Manx national insurance, our proud local ferry service artificially manages payroll in - THE CHANNEL ISLANDS. Almost all of the bleating recently fom the Racket has been bullshit. But we know that anyway, don't we?

A point covered quite some time ago in the thread. However, using the same analogy, it would be a touch ironic for the Island to make an issue of companies registering in another jurisdiction in a bid to reduce their tax liabilities. Since that is essentially the bedrock of the Islands current economic model.

So, our local ferry company, that we love so much, is Australian owned, is financed by banks in Spain and Portugal, pays its staff via Guernsey (to save money on NIC), takes on Eastern European crews in summer (they couldn't possibly be cheaper than Manx workers, could they?), and hires in foreign crewed freight vessels when it suits (such as during Ben's refits).

Why is Mezeron's hire of 2 European freight ships suddenly so wrong?

So, our local ferry company, that we love so much, is Australian owned, is financed by banks in Spain and Portugal, pays its staff via Guernsey (to save money on NIC), takes on Eastern European crews in summer (they couldn't possibly be cheaper than Manx workers, could they?), and hires in foreign crewed freight vessels when it suits (such as during Ben's refits).

Why is Mezeron's hire of 2 European freight ships suddenly so wrong?

It isn't. It's simply the best excuse the failed Racket management could come up with when they noticed their backsides were on fire.

The Unions, always happy to throw some petrol on any fire to keep themselves in the spotlight, joined right in and together they fired a full broadside salvo out of all cannons.

Unfortunately, they aimed at the wrong target and now we have a bunch of shopkeepers and farmers in a white building up the road wondering why cannon balls are crashing through their windows and landing on their desks.

Meanwhile, Captain Smith is still happily on the bridge of MS Racket, wearing a blindfold and hoping for the best - this being that the big German iceberg ahead won't slice his fully loaded debt carrier in half and sink the whole thing.

Working Party Blue!

People vote with their feet (and the truth hurts!)

Barrie Stevens.

OK Barrie, thanks for your reply, even if I fail to understand what you're on about.

I've no wish to steer this thread in a different direction, but it sounds like you were a come over, and have now left. I've no problem with that, and I think you'll find most Manx people also wouldn't have any problem with it.

Fortunately for you, the Island and the Manx people continue to keep close ties with many 3rd world countries, England included.

How do you expalin such a silly remark as England being a 3rd world country.

Quite simply that, for a while recently, when the bilateral healthcare agreement with England was uncertain, travellers to England were advised to have healthcare insurance. Just as you would have when travelling to any 3rd world country. Bizarrely, venturing to Wales or Scotland was OK.

Currently, my feelings are being compounded by the fiasco with tuition fees. But there's another subject...

Please feel free to reply, but lets try and keep the subject to the Steam Packet....

and that makes England a 3rd world country! i agree keep it to the steam packet. you could always start another thread.

It seems that they are all getting on the bandwagon now. Today's Manx Indy carries, on page 13, the anger expressed by Castletown Commissioners at the Steam Packet. That is hilarious enough.

Then you read the quote from Jerry Ludford-Brooks (great Manx name) stating "The Steam Packet has taken the Island for a ride for too many years". What exactly gives you the right to make comment on national issues Mr Ludford-Brooks? Some "local" Commissioner feels his mandate is to comment on big Island politics?

Stick to dogshit and electronic bollards Mr Ludford-Brooks. You were elected in Castletown to deal with dogshit and install electronic bollards, not have some platform to comment on national issues like this. Its about time all these tinpot local politicians, elected by about 10 insane old women each, learned to STFU on anything that happens outside of the town walls.

Edited by hboy

The SPC affair is a national issue.

Are you saying that we should ALL leave it to Tynwald to deal with? BTW in fairness the Castletown Commissioners were not elected to put in those non-functioning £150,000 bollards. Weren't they foisted on them by the DoT and a former electric and odds and sods shop owner?

So who are the shareholders? With IOMSPCo being registered as a NMV the AR's doesn't show that information.

Careful, Andy - this non-disclosure of ownership on public record is one of friend Murphy's pet hates.

It seems that they are all getting on the bandwagon now. Today's Manx Indy carries, on page 13, the anger expressed by Castletown Commissioners at the Steam Packet.

Its about time all these tinpot local politicians learned to STFU. The SPC affair is a national issue.

We can, perhaps, hope that one of those 'tinpot local politicians' might stand against, and defeat, the present 'national' representative of Castletown next year.