Has The Island Become A Dangerous Place To Live

Blade Runner

The 'drug' that has to bear responsibility for a large majority of assaults, unsociable behaviour etc is sold for three quid a pint in numerous establishments every day.

The number of 'incidents' I have heard about in the smoking area at Colours at two or three in the morning is ridiculous.

These idiots are not punching or glassing each other because they have had a bit of plant food or something similar. Its the fact that they have been drinking for 8 or 10 hours and are not mature enough to handle their ale that makes things turn nasty.

So who is in the wrong then Sausage, the idiots drinking it, or the Establishment for selling it?

Licensed Premises supposedly have a duty of care, to not serve people who have had too much to drink,and yet the majority of drunken violence seems repeatedly to occur regulary in the same 2or 3 Establishments.

A matter for the licensing authority perhaps.

To blame pubs and clubs for this may not tell the whole story and maybe very unfair. I have been told that many young people today do the majority of their drinking at home before going out, due amongst other reasons to the ridiculous cost of alcohol in licensed premises on the island matched with the stupidly low cost of alcohol in the supermarkets. This unsupervised drinking is then followed by a last few hours in a pub \ club. The pub \ club is then desperate for business so maybe there are financial pressures to serve those that in years gone by would have been kicked out (that is a guess).

Placing the blame on the pub \ club is he easy target. Why not the supermarkets and the brewery for creating such a situation. Or for that matter the celebrity drinking culture that glamorises every excess of each so-called celebrity \ footballer. These excesses are not just beer but drugs and violence too. Our youth is swayed by reports of these nonlebrities and their ability to get away with what they like, some role models eh.

The vast majority of violence at the weekends must be drink\ drug related (mostly drink), an this is due to a number of factors as above. Plus another factor is poor policing both by pubs \ clubs and by police. I must admit Douglas must be a nightmare to police given the spaced out nature of the pubs \ clubs. So blame stupid town planning too. Why wasn't the quays made strictly for entertainment? It would have made foot patrols possible and picking up on an earlier point if done in the right way this police presence need not cause trouble (it doesn't in Liverpool).

Sorry for the ramble but crime and violence fueled by drink is a difficult subject to apportion blame in just one area. In the island's case mistakes are being made across the board.

I have to agree with the comment regards to teenagers drinking at home before they go out on the town and this may be due to the drinks having been bought so cheaply at a supermarket, are a cheap and convenient way of feeling merry before going out to the pubs and clubs. Those that I'm aware of, drink before they go out and although they may appear to be ok at first and even to the merry stage, further drinks at various establishments quickly top them up or throw them well over the limit, which may be a reason as to why the establishments don't realise that their customers are nearly drunk after appearing initially sober when they come in. (Just a thought and I won't argue the point)

Personally, I don't see the attraction of binge drinking with the aim of getting legless as if to prove you've had a good night, but then again, my having too much drink is far and few between and I'm therefore not qualified to answer that point from a binge drinkers perspective.

Drink problems have often been mentioned in various threads and IMO, drink is a worse problem than drugs. I'm sure I've read recently that they're considering raising the prices of drink in supermarkets and unfortunately, this is the only link I could find

As to whether the Isle of Man is a dangerous place to live, then it would have to be a NO from me. With regards to one area, ie burglary, I don't know of anyone who likes those particular types of criminals, although I am aware from certain sources (hearsay), that drug addicts are the main cause of that problem, but this is not indicative for the majority of drug takers. (I can't clarify the above, although it sounds reasonable and maybe John Wright could answer this one?)

Other reported events this week in the Courier include tyre theft, missing cats and a person being fined for abusive language and I'm sure these sort of reports are the norm now as like that many years ago, but as for being dangerous place to live.... Nah, although there's a few slappers about the place.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The island was much worse in the 70's in my opinion. We lived in the centre of Douglas as I was growing up and I witnessed and was involved in all sorts of violence (I wasn't the cause btw).

I remember my dad rescuing an elderly gent being kicked senseless outside our house by a well known local prick and his mate. There tended to be brawls all over the place and you had to watch where you were going if you didn't feel in the mood for some kind of confrontation or other! There were always gangs of idiots from Pulrose or Willaston who just liked to try and pick fights with 2 or 3 innocent souls. I can remember near riots on the promenade and serious attacks in Strand Street but never read anything about them in the papers!

When I started this thread that was what I was actually thinking, from what I have been told by my parents and personal experience of growing up here in the 70s I would say it is safer now.

When I was 10 I lived in a small village in the north of the Island and one summer holiday was kidnapped, at knife point with two friends, bundled into a car, threatened with violence and dumped miles from where we lived just because we had "dissed" the local "hard Men" (17yr olds)

I have no fear of that happening to my son these days and the above example is only one of many of bad behavior that I knew about or witnessed.

Hi Guys I have just had a quick read through this thread and I cannot believe some of the things that have been said.

To begin with I am a teenager who is more interested in getting a career at sea and living on the island in the future than hanging round the streets with some of the idiots around my age. To be honest I have wanted to live on the island for around 4 years now and it is my main goal along with a career at sea and I get the feeling that the island does not want any people from outside the island moving there, and I do not understand why as not everyone is intends to cause trouble, in fact most people want to lead a genuine life not cause trouble.

I understand that you do not want any trouble coming over from England but at the end of the day there has always been crime on the island not just because of the English. Have any of you seen the first few minutes of the Steam Packet 175th DVD. It says that in the early 1800's before there was a regular ferry service to the island the streets were dirty and full of pickpockets. This clearly shows that its not only the English that cause crime.

Finally I would like to say that I still want to move over to the island but I hope if I do I do not receive the abuse that I have read on this thread.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Guys I have just had a quick read through this thread and I cannot believe some of the things that have been said.

To begin with I am a teenager who is more interested in getting a career at sea and living on the island in the future than hanging round the streets with some of the idiots around my age. To be honest I have wanted to live on the island for around 4 years now and it is my main goal along with a career at sea and I get the feeling that the island does not want any people from outside the island moving there, and I do not understand why as not everyone is intends to cause trouble, in fact most people want to lead a genuine life not cause trouble.

I understand that you do not want any trouble coming over from England but at the end of the day there has always been crime on the island not just because of the English. Have any of you seen the first few minutes of the Steam Packet 175th DVD. It says that in the early 1800's before there was a regular ferry service to the island the streets were dirty and full of pickpockets. This clearly shows that its not only the English that cause crime.

Finally I would like to say that I still want to move over to the island but I hope if I do I do not receive the abuse that I have read on this thread.

Dear Rob, one simple question WHY?

Thanks

Rob

Thanks

Rob

As I said on a previous post on this thread, "I hope you are all proud of yourselves boys and girls" The out and out racism displayed when I DARED to ask a question that might have an negative answer for the Island was staggering.

In later posts I have stated that I think it is a lot safer now, but too late! the rabid Manx racists had to have their say and now we have the above quite reasonable response.

This is how the outside world sees us, and I include myself in us, and I really would like to hold my head up in the world not be ashamed by association, by where I live.

ETA Cue Boat in the morning crap - I ain't going nowhere get over your petty prejudices

As the research for my thesis was on birching and its effect on IOM Crime rates I can say that there was no discernible effect, one way or the other, and its is so long sibce we had a hanging that is hardly likely to have had an effect either.

I was refering to the empty prisons. Hanging and birching were alternatives. I mean 6 of the best of 3 months in the Jurby Hilton Resort at the tax payer's expense?

I would say hanging had a major effect on the incidence of reoffending in the case of murder.

I disagree.

Thanks

Rob

Take no notice, locals are the worst causes of any violent behaviour which is in the main grossly exaggerated in seriousness and quantity by the police and the media. I have seen minor disturbances which get misrepresented and blown up out of all proportion by the time they get into the newspaper. Some of the so called security people are the biggest cause of trouble, all hyped up and ready for action instead of calming things down!

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

Please note that this being a forum, there can be a huge difference in peoples views and although there will be those deliberately trolling with an aim to get a reaction, there's others that are sensible and with common-sense approach. Persons as like me, hide behind made up names so that they can add strong views when appropriate without divulging their identity and there's not many people who show their true name.

I further mention that the views expressed on here do not represent the majority of persons living on the island and one must also note that people from other parts of the world also write on here.

Good luck with your career

Blade, yet again surprisingly I find myself compelled to agree with you.

The Manx Crab syndrome is alive and kicking unfortunately.

Short but factual.

Hey Man1, thank you, I just feel that I am banging my head against a rather hard place sometimes on here, I love the Island and would not want to be anywhere else.

It is going beyond the "Manx Crab Syndrome" on here in this thread, it is out and out racism and bigotry.

I just find it disheartening that when I sometimes raise points that could be seen as negative on the Island it is jumped on by and dismissed without thought, just because I was not born here. What the F**k difference does that make to the validity of your opinion?

I was born in Yorkshire many years ago and I would not go on a Yorkshire based forum and slag the ideas/ comments of people that LIVE there, whether they were born there or not.

Cue - F**k off back to Yorkshire comments..................

People often find nightlife and its associated culture more intimidating and potentially dangerous the futher removed from it they become.

I am often amused to hear my friends complaining about 'yoofs' hanging out on street corners badgering people to buy them alcohol from the nearest shops, when in their own youth they did exactly the same thing.

Or having witnessed a display of Alpha male behaviour during a night out, they complain about the increase in violence these days, triggering my memory of them years earlier face to face with someone chest puff out and arms hanging from the sides, issuing monosyllabic challenges to someone elses masculinity.

Perhaps as a lifelong teetotaller, i have always been outside of the culture of nightlife and therefore am more aware of the shift in my friends positions.

Eventually nightlife serves its main function, people partner up, and slowly they start to distance themselves from the scene, and once they look at it from the outside they can no longer identify with it.

With this in mind, i dont find it surprising that there is a trend for people to feel that certain aspect of society were better in the 'old days'.

Blade, yet again surprisingly I find myself compelled to agree with you.

The Manx Crab syndrome is alive and kicking unfortunately.

Short but factual.

Hey Man1, thank you, I just feel that I am banging my head against a rather hard place sometimes on here, I love the Island and would not want to be anywhere else.

It is going beyond the "Manx Crab Syndrome" on here in this thread, it is out and out racism and bigotry.

I just find it disheartening that when I sometimes raise points that could be seen as negative on the Island it is jumped on by and dismissed without thought, just because I was not born here. What the F**k difference does that make to the validity of your opinion?

I was born in Yorkshire many years ago and I would not go on a Yorkshire based forum and slag the ideas/ comments of people that LIVE there, whether they were born there or not.

Cue - F**k off back to Yorkshire comments..................

you will not get that response from me, on this or any other occasion Blade, I spend all my holidays in Yorkshire,N/S/E/w and accept and appreciate the welcome freely given(east takes a while)

As a legitimate Jane Crookall baby, I have no problem with stopovers?comeovers as long as they integrate into the Island and it's ideals!

You notice our Gov't dont share the same ideals.

Archived