Has The Island Become A Dangerous Place To Live

Blade Runner

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is going beyond the "Manx Crab Syndrome" on here in this thread, it is out and out racism and bigotry.

Bollocks. You import a culture over here and then moan about how rubbish aspects of that culture are. Pointing out that you are doing that is not racist its pointing out that actually you're in many ways responsible for a lot of what you have complained about. Anyway the English don't deal with racism well when its directed at them. I've seen it in Wales and Scotland where the poor little Englanders adopt the "What me? But I'm not some dirty foreigner!" stance when someone has a dig. Its normally because the English themselves are amongst the most racist people around and are only used to it being directed to other people. The fact is though that as the Island has become more English its lost a lot of what it had culturally, and a lot of what is wrong here now results from what the Brits have brought over with them. In particular the cultural imperialism that results in shit like Starbucks, KFC, or McDonalds making our Manx towns as dire as any other faceless UK dump because that is what people "expect" to be here, or the crappy apartment blocks built so that hundreds of arseholes in London can get off thinking they are offshore buy-to-let barons.

English people are not responsible in respect of crime. And much of the animosity and nationalism that fuels this dislike of the English is just plain stupid. As if the Manx, Welsh, Scottish, or Irish are currently being oppressed by the English. It's just ridiculous.

And the English are no more racist than Manx.

It is going beyond the "Manx Crab Syndrome" on here in this thread, it is out and out racism and bigotry.

Bollocks. You import a culture over here and then moan about how rubbish aspects of that culture are. Pointing out that you are doing that is not racist its pointing out that actually you're in many ways responsible for a lot of what you have complained about. Anyway the English don't deal with racism well when its directed at them. I've seen it in Wales and Scotland where the poor little Englanders adopt the "What me? But I'm not some dirty foreigner!" stance when someone has a dig. Its normally because the English themselves are amongst the most racist people around and are only used to it being directed to other people. The fact is though that as the Island has become more English its lost a lot of what it had culturally, and a lot of what is wrong here now results from what the Brits have brought over with them. In particular the shit cultural imperialism that results in shit like Starbucks, KFC, or McDonalds making our Manx towns as shit as any other faceless UK dump because that is what people "expect", or the crappy apartment blocks built so that hundreds of arseholes in London can get off thinking they are offshore buy-to-let barons.

I was brought here when I was 7 years old, I have not imported a culture! unless you consider me an icon! I was schooled here until I found employment. Directing your anger toward me because I was not physically born here makes no sense.

I am a product of the Manx Education System, a good one in my opinion, though my grammar and spelling could do with some more work!

Lost what it had culturally? like what? I think you are getting wound up because that lovely shopping street in Douglas has got lots of UK/Worldwide shops on it now. I would love that it was filled with local shops selling unique locally produced items and food, but this is the 21st Century, it don't work like, unless you and your family were prepared to pay far in excess of what we do now for most likely, inferior products.

McDonald's, KFC, Next etc etc are all over the world not just here. What do you want? Griddles back? or Spuds and Herrings?

English people are not responsible in respect of crime. And much of the animosity and nationalism that fuels this dislike of the English is just plain stupid. As if the Manx, Welsh, Scottish, or Irish are currently being oppressed by the English. It's just ridiculous.

And the English are no more racist than Manx.

I agree LDV

BUT going by some of the responses on this thread, you would have to conclude that some Manx born are very racist about the English.

Now whether you can actually call some Manx peoples hatred toward the English/ Scottish/ Welsh/ (Insert any other nationality), actually Racist is an other thread.

BUT going by some of the responses on this thread, you would have to conclude that some Manx born are very racist about the English.

Now whether you can actually call some Manx peoples hatred toward the English/ Scottish/ Welsh/ (Insert any other nationality), actually Racist is an other thread.

I don't think it is really the case nor appropriate to use the term racism to describe the dislike that many Manx have towards the English, or more correctly their dislike of the idea of The English. Doesn't require another thread but should be said considering you refer to it as racism. I was referring to Manx racism in the sense of meaning that in general a Manx person is just as racist (and often more openly so) than their English counterpart when such matters as immigration, black people, Muslims (relating to their ethnicity) is in question. I have noticed that people on the Island feel far more free to openly use oppressive language and engage in real knuckle-dragger language.

[...]what the Brits have brought over with them. In particular the cultural imperialism that results in shit like Starbucks, KFC, or McDonalds ...

Yes, those famous British companies, Starbucks, KFC and McDonalds, damn their eyes.

The IOM is certainly no more dangerous than comparable British/English towns - a lot less so in my experience. And when you look through the courier at the local neer-do-wells accused of fighting, beating their wives/boyfriends up, drink driving, etc. do you ever note the surnames of those people? Maybe you should.

I find comparisons like Mannin vs UK a bit meaningless really. For example items like car theft, prevalent in the UK, is so pointless on Mannin it just doesn't happen. With such a small population I bet items like robbery are way down compared to the UK in general as well. Anyway, in my own experience with one-third of the population living in one town it makes more sense to compare crimes like assault in Douglas with a similar sized UK town and the rest of the island with a similar UK rural area. Because to me Douglas is very different from the rest of the island. I lived in two similar sized UK market towns, one for 6 years and the other for 10 years, and NEVER had a problem. But then they were both very nice, affluent, market towns and not inner cities and thinking about it in both cases I lived in a very nosy cul-de-sac, which helps.

As a big believer in management by fact (radical on Mannin I know) where are the Douglas crime figures?

I don't think it is really the case nor appropriate to use the term racism to describe the dislike that many Manx have towards the English, or more correctly their dislike of the idea of The English.

I knew the day would come when I agree with LDV. I'm going to lie down now. Blade Runner just does not get it - its not racism its dislike of the idea of the English and its not unusual for any community that has been colonised (as the English have done to the IoM) that some people might think this way. I also find it incongruous that anyone would start a thread like this moaning about how bad it is here without appreciating the irony that people from the same cultural background as them might actually have a lot to do with the situation we find ourselves in. And its a pretty poor argument Blade Runner to just cite racism when the points made have been clear since my first post. I also find your stance that "shock horror" how could anyone be racist against the English incredibly arrogant. Did you think you passed the test just by having a white face and speaking the same language? That's quite a racist why to think as you clearly think its puts you on a pedestal compared to other ethnic groups.

Yes, but people who dislike the English in general because of the influence their culture has had on the Island are pretty dumb people. It's like the Scottish disliking the English for stuff that happened centuries ago that was in the main conducted by people in power in England.

And it is not at all incongruous to start such a thread, you haven't even explained the supposed mechanism (I assume you think there is one) for how English cultural influences have led to the Island being worse in some way or having problems with crime.

Thinking along nationalistic lines doesn't make much sense.

You consider Manx animosity towards the English to be racism? Strange.

Many things are nowadays classed as racism which don't fit the original dictionary definition of "hatred of a person solely due to their race". It is racist to hate a person because he/she is a different colour to you but it is current fashion to be branded racist if you express the slightest concern that a MULTI racial society might be bad for ALL concerned in the future. Bad times come; people fight. It's human nature.

Archived