Has The Island Become A Dangerous Place To Live

Blade Runner

What with the now weekly news that there has been another assault on Douglas Prom or Ramsey Quay and today in the news a 12 year old having money snatched out of his hand in broad daylight, what do you think about the level of crime here and do these news items affect your decisions as in going out at night and how safe do you feel in your own home etc.

Is it actually any worse than in the past or is it just more easily available media that makes it seem that way?

Lets compare like with close like, so no general comparisons with Moss Side etc

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Things are a bit worse than hitherto but that is because we have followed the nonsensical crime and (no) punishment regime from across. On the whole, stuff that is headline news here wouldn't raise an eyebrow in the UK nowadays. Safe at home? Definitely.

What with the now weekly news that there has been another assault on Douglas Prom or Ramsey Quay and today in the news a 12 year old having money snatched out of his hand in broad daylight, what do you think about the level of crime here and do these news items affect your decisions as in going out at night and how safe do you feel in your own home etc.

Years ago you used to know the Manx psycho's who would kick seven bells out of you if you looked at them funny. Now its just some random fuckwitt in a tracksuit and the same thing happens anywhere in the UK on any night of the week. I still don't lock my car and I would still walk home at 3am in the morning here. It seems to me that our conversion to Englishness is just catching up on the English. You imported the worst when you came here - it used to be quite nice and safe.

it used to be quite nice and safe.

But did it? thats my point. Before I came here in the 70s my parents came over for the TT and holidays regularly and I can remember them telling me that they would not consider going into Ramsey for a night in the 60s. My Father was from Sunderland and my Mother Glasgow, not exactly noted for their gentile nightlife.

it used to be quite nice and safe.

But did it? thats my point. Before I came here in the 70s my parents came over for the TT and holidays regularly and I can remember them telling me that they would not consider going into Ramsey for a night in the 60s. My Father was from Sunderland and my Mother Glasgow, not exactly noted for their gentile nightlife.

Yes it was. You were not here so you can't comment. Ramsey in the 60's was hardly baseball bats and body armour.

No IMO the present reported violence in downtown Douglas at weekends is the same as it always has been,mainly drink and drug fuelled personal vendettas.

An apparent total lack of police presence in the town at closing time does not help.

My wife and I cerainly have no compunction in being either in town or on the prom in the wee small hours, and work on the assumption that they who go actively looking for trouble will generally find it, and as we dont suprise we dont.

You would have felt lot more threatened during the 60's and 70's and the police were a lot more pro-active then.

@ The sultanofsheight

So these "Manx psycho's who would kick seven bells of shit out of you for just looking at them don't count then? Sounds a lovely place in the past!

At least now if you avoid people in tracksuits, according to you, we should all be OK.

No Blade, the main culprits are no longer "Manx Psychos" as you put it, but a sad indictment on this Governments immigration policies over the last 20 years.

Archived