Egypt

K.os Theory

Seems like the "domino effect" from Tunisa is happening.

Egypt has had it's internet and most of it's mobile phones shut down, tens of thousands of protestors across the country calling for reform. For anyone who's interested here's a great live-blog.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates

Similar things seem to be happening in the Yemen as well.

I'm not that clued up on Middle Eastern Politics, but does anyone know what kind of reprecussions this may have to the other arab states? Could we see similar protests in say Saudi or Kuwait?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the start of the inevitable Sunni - Shia conflict. No good will come of it.

I wonder if the US will support the existing Egyptian government, that would really add fat to the fire if they do and they may see that they must as Egypt is one of the few governemnts in the region that is not anti - American.

not to mention lebanons new leaders!!!!

The United States, United Kingdom, Egypt, Israel, Australia, and Canada classify Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, in whole or in part.

It receives financial and political support from Iran and Syria,

could be an intrsting time in the middle east,

internet shut off

Thing are getting worse,

the US has told any usa people to leave now,

Oh Mummy!

i think u be saying more than that if you were there,

while u may think its all a bit of a joke, and it wont effect you, it will effect you,

I doubt it will affect me very much.

Kicking out these dictators and pushing for democracy can only lead to a better chance of a better world.

What did Nostradamus say? I believe it was something like the 3rd and final confict of the planet will begin with unreast in the nations of the land of the dinosaurs, now long to be believed as North Africa and the middle east, oh joy, anoth bunch of refugees looking for benefits.

What did Nostradamus say? I believe it was something like the 3rd and final confict of the planet will begin with unreast in the nations of the land of the dinosaurs, now long to be believed as North Africa and the middle east, oh joy, anoth bunch of refugees looking for benefits.

He said whatever you wanted him to say - or at least he seems to have, going by those that have 'translated' him.

I doubt it will affect me very much.

Kicking out these dictators and pushing for democracy can only lead to a better chance of a better world.

So what effect do you think that the closing of the Suez canal will have on you? None?

Because closed it will be, or only open to certain “acceptable” shipping.

As for democracy, just keep in mind that there’s western democracy and Islamic democracy. The former lets people rule themselves and establish their own laws. Islamic democracy does not. All it does is allow the majority decide who will hold the whip hand while laws are down to the Shar’ia.

Chalk and cheese make for a better match than the two concepts of democracy.

He said whatever you wanted him to say - or at least he seems to have, going by those that have 'translated' him.

I know thats the beauty of the old goat

Other than the evil curse put on me grandad for tinkering and messing about with a couple of tombs in the 1920s, and the subsequent plague of flies we get every xmas - our family has nothing much to do with Egypt at all.

It's the prime minister and system they are changing, not the geography of the place - which will be better for us.

Much ado about nothing methinks...just cos something's on BBC news 24 all day, it doesn't make it all that important to the rest of us. Really, it doesn't.

Archived