Traffic Wardens Busy On Bank Holiday Monday

localyokel

I'd be willing to bet more than half the people being ticketed are people who spent all day yesterday in the pub drinking, couldn't be arsed moving their car this morning because they thought they'd get away with it and wont go to pick them up until teatime when their hangover has gone.

They're the ones who are taking spaces away from legitimate shoppers. Don't you think they should be penalised?

Even if you somehow managed to find enough to do in the shopping mecca of Strand Street that it took you over the two hours, as has been pointed out, there's a large number of free parking spaces they should be using.

All that said, I do have some sympathy for anyone getting a ticket today. I was under the impression that a bank holiday was the same as a Sunday for parking zones so I wouldn't have put up a disc myself had I been down that way.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the island has a uniquely brilliant system with the disc zones.

It means you can park where it is convenient for a reasonable time (ie, nipping to the post-office, etc). Across it's ALL pay and display!

There are a lot of places on the island which are free to park, all that is asked is that you put your disc up, and return within the rules. IT'S MORE THAN FAIR!

Stop moaning and simply park (FOR FREE!) within the rules.

All that said, I do have some sympathy for anyone getting a ticket today. I was under the impression that a bank holiday was the same as a Sunday for parking zones so I wouldn't have put up a disc myself had I been down that way.

Correct and that is my basic objection to what to me is just sleazy tactics on behalf of the traffic controllers. They know that 60% of the people parking there will be thinking exactly that and that is when they will strike with their pathetic fines. It's sleazy, underhand and yet totally indicative of what this Island has turned into recently in it's desperate attempt to raise any more revenue it possibly can from us all.

Fixed time period and pay in advance parking discourges trade. It discourages people from browsing - for example from deciding to stop for a coffee or some food perhaps whilst they think about whether or not to buy some item they saw whilst visiting the town for something else. The town should be all about encouraging people to stay as long as possile.

The parking system should be designed such that people pay for how long they have parked and not for how long they think they might park. And it should take credit cards since otherwise there is a danger of people just about scraping together enough money from under the seats to pay for an hour when they would happily have paid for two. Who seriously has pockets full of loose change these days?

Correct and that is my basic objection to what to me is just sleazy tactics on behalf of the traffic controllers. They know that 60% of the people parking there will be thinking exactly that and that is when they will strike with their pathetic fines. It's sleazy, underhand and yet totally indicative of what this Island has turned into recently in it's desperate attempt to raise any more revenue it possibly can from us all.

I think you're talking bollocks.

I think your talking bollocks to ...

I think your talking bollocks to ...

A lot of the disc zones are there so that residents like me can park outside their house with their residents permit. Why shouldn't that apply today?

A lot of the disc zones are there so that residents like me can park outside their house with their residents permit. Why shouldn't that apply today?

Why does that situation make it any better or any worse than what happened yesterday [sunday] when there were no parking restrictions at all?

Why does that situation make it any better or any worse than what happened yesterday [sunday] when there were no parking restrictions at all?

there's actually quite a lot of people about today. There isn't usually on a Sunday.

A surprising number of businesses are open today.

there's actually quite a lot of people about today. There isn't usually on a Sunday.

Exactly and people should be encouraged to use those businesses in one of the busiest weekends of the year. If you have a residents permit you can park where you like for as long as you like so what is your problem?

Exactly and people should be encouraged to use those businesses in one of the busiest weekends of the year. If you have a residents permit you can park where you like for as long as you like so what is your problem?

You really don't get it do you.

The parking permits restrict parking so that residents can still park. If there was no restrictions today then all the staff and customers would take our spaces. I can't park "anywhere", I can park within my "zone", if you and your fellow shoppers can't be arsed to pay 65p to park in M&S then I can't park outside my own house.

There are loads of places to park Legally, Fact is no matter what your thoughts it is illegal and people will get tickets. Ignorance is not an excuse. There are enough signs up stating how long you can park etc. Like someone has stated it is people being lazy.

The Isle of Man is full of selfish wankers who think that parking regulations don't apply to them. The Terrace and outside Tesco are the two I notice most often, and it almost pisses me off enough to volunteer as a parking inspector on my days off. I agree with ans's point about today specifically but as for there being more parking attendants, generally speaking I'm all for it

You really don't get it do you.

The parking permits restrict parking so that residents can still park. If there was no restrictions today then all the staff and customers would take our spaces. I can't park "anywhere", I can park within my "zone", if you and your fellow shoppers can't be arsed to pay 65p to park in M&S then I can't park outside my own house.

No you don't get it. I'm not talking about people being lazy or parking there all day. I'm talking about the psychology of people not putting up discs (even if they are only parking for half an hour) as they think that a Bank Holiday is treated the same as a Sunday and then getting royally screwed by the parking controllers because of it. To me that is dirty tactics by the controllers and that is why they are out. Sure if your over your two hours etc its illegal but i think its totally wrong for them to deliberately take advantage of the fact that a big number of parkers will just park and not put a disc up today because they think (reasonably in my book) that Sundays and Bank Holidays are treated the same. As I said it's opportunistic and just plain wrong in my book to deliberately prey on people who may have made a reasonable assumption that a long weekend is treated as an extra Sunday when it clearly isn't.

I'd be willing to bet more than half the people being ticketed are people who spent all day yesterday in the pub drinking, couldn't be arsed moving their car this morning because they thought they'd get away with it and wont go to pick them up until teatime when their hangover has gone.

Quite possibly but they shouldn't really be moving their cars at 9am as they are probably still over the limit.

Do any of the pay and displays do 24 hour tickets? If not they probably should.

Archived