Morrissey At The Villa

Dave Hedgehog

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, me too :) Although it would have been much better if my stupid mother would have let me go to Manchester to see the Smiths in 1986 (ih, I was only 14 and I don't really think it would have been the place for me). Saw Morrissey at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and was very pleased to hear him singing a couple of old Smiths songs. This kind of nostalgic music loving is ok because....I often listen to The Smiths even now, I've got a couple of old live concerts on CD - sorted. :) Lots of love to whoever is putting this on x THANKS!!!!

Somewhat predictably not listed on the Villa / Gaiety listings - called the Welcome Centre apparently still finalising details and tickets should be available in next couple of weeks, advice is to keep checking https://www.gov.im/villagaiety/whatson.xml

As for 'finally a legend on the isle of man' - Brian Wilson, Lou Reed ????? - he's not the first and hopefully he won't be the last !

Declan, he still plays a few Smiths songs, never ever going to be a Marr replacement but, if I hadn't ruined the Glastonbury video of There is a light, I'd post it for you to see, it's fekkin right likes :)

My point was more that I've changed, once this would have seemed like the biggest thing ever on the Island for me, but now I'm far more excited about seeing Suede & Pulp this summer even though I liked those bands in their heyday far less than I did the Smiths. In fact I'd sooner see both of them than a reformed Smiths.

I saw Morrissey at the Reading a few years ago, while I was waiting for the White Stripes, he was ok but he did spend most of set moaning about speeding cameras and Johnny Foreigner.

Yeah, I was a little drunk and nostalgic last night, I see what you mean. He is clashing with Younger Brother at Glastonbury, I know where I will be - left hand side of the stage at the front of Younger Brother :) I will goto the Villa to see him though.

I saw Morrissey at the Reading a few years ago, while I was waiting for the White Stripes, he was ok but he did spend most of set moaning about speeding cameras and Johnny Foreigner.

How could you tell when he stopped moaning and started singing?

Another second-rate has-been - amazed he wasn't booked for the Bayfest debacle!

How could you tell when he stopped moaning and started singing?

Another second-rate has-been - amazed he wasn't booked for the Bayfest debacle!

That's unfair, there's a difference between being old and being a has-been, Morrissey has pursued his career consistently since the Smiths. All his solo studio albums have gone top 10 - the last one was number 3 two years. They receive as much press coverage as they ever did. He's second on the bill on the main stage at Glastonbury this year. I don't particularly like him, but he is still a major artist.

Archived