Morrissey At The Villa

Dave Hedgehog

His value as a poet means more to me than his music, that is for sure :) I was looking at loads of old Smiths live things on youtube last night, by goodness me Johnny Marr is flippen brill, I haven't bothered much with Modest Mouse perhaps I should give em a more serious listen.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever :rolleyes: I couldn't give a fish what 'academics' say, they say an awful lot perhaps a little too full of their own ideas, if I see it as poetry, then poetry it is, maybe its poetical lyrics, who cares? I think Scroobius pip is a poet too, people may disagree, I don't care :)

You might not be a fan but you really couldn't say he was a has-been, he's still recording albums, touring and selling records.

So are the Wurzels, Des O'Connor and the Grimethorpe colliery band.

As Thebees says that's a rather silly comparison. The Wurzels are a comedy act and Des O'Connor is a 79 year old man whose last album release was 2001. As I said you may not like Morrissey but you can't call him a has been, he stills sells an awful lot of records.

Morrissey is one of the most gifted lyricists to ever walk the earth and he's still a superb live performer.

Admittedly he's an incorrigible arsehole as well in some regards, but you don't create the wonderful lyrics such as he's crafted over the years without having some quirks about you :D

His solo albums aren't as epically amazing as The Smiths albums, but then again, nothing is.

As for 'finally a legend on the isle of man' - Brian Wilson, Lou Reed ????? - he's not the first and hopefully he won't be the last !

Yep, forgot about those legends :rolleyes:

Anyway, still good!!

Well if Brian Wilson and Lou Reed aren't legends, maybe Robert Plant, Ray Davies, Alice Cooper: are they famous/influential enough?

Morrissey!?! Heaven knows this thread is miserable now.

Is he forcing the villa restaurant to just serve veggie food when he is on? He has been known to try that on at venues before.

What difference does it make...

Now that we have established that Morrissey is ace, which lyrics do you like especially? I love The Queen is dead and from his solo stuff, the one about security guards, "You in your uniform, your totally smelly uniform" - or something like that, America land of the free, I could look it up but, I've bunting to make ;)

Now that we have established that Morrissey is ace, which lyrics do you like especially? I love The Queen is dead and from his solo stuff, the one about security guards, "You in your uniform, your totally smelly uniform" - or something like that, America land of the free, I could look it up but, I've bunting to make ;)

A few songs that personally have a lot of resonance for me, and some more than they ever have done. (Smiths and solo work included.)

November Spawned A Monster - seen by many as offensive, I loved it just as 'a song' back in the day but now as the father of a disabled child it's incredibly powerful.

Suedehead - I just like the melodies and lyrics on this one.

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before - http://www.yyoutube.com/watch?v=naos7it_bl0 One of the most gorgeous tunes and lyrics ever?

How Soon Is Now -

Noel Gallagher famously asked Johnny Marr how the fuck he me made the guitar sound like he does in the intro.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - http://www.yyoutube.com/watch?v=Ke1-MTDBAro

As an aside, critics of The Smiths and Morrissey have to remember that he was reflecting on Thatcher's Britain, which is arguably the era in which humanity in the UK regressed an evolutionary phase or two and became more like the beasts we're so little evolved from, so you can't really blame the guy for tending towards morbid lyrics and tales of 'destructive' love. And yet he still manages to create prose of quite stunning beauty that genuinely lights up the soul, or is just plain funny.

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - So utterly reckless and joyous and mystified. Apparently Johnny Marr was a bit miffed that he came up with his amazingly gorgeous melody and Morrissey stuck a song about tits over it :D

The Smiths and Morrissey/Marr are an absolute one-off, we will never see their type again. It's great that we still have their back catalogue to listen to, and even better that Morrissey is still a really strong artist who tours regularly - the IOM is lucky to have him and the folks who worked behind the scenes to make this visit happen should be congratulated.

Archived