Elder Scrolls V

K.os Theory

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, no it won't

Skyrim is nothing like WoW. For a start there is a proper story in Skyrim, the quests aren't go here, kill x things, come back, repeat, and it looks amazing.

You don't need to have played a TES game before as they are all standalone.

I'm getting the feeling some people haven't played WoW for years, and definitely not since Cataclysm.

(a) WoW has proper characters and stories, particularly since Cata where they've reworked the whole game to make it consistent and with an overarching tale.

(b) The days of killing 50 murlocs to collect 15 of their heads are long gone. That shit just isn't in the game any longer.

For the record I'm not actually playing WoW at the moment so it's not like I'm defending 'my game', but I still bristle a bit when people incorrectly insist it's just an old-fashioned grindathon, because it isn't.

I played Oblivion pretty extensively when it came out, and having played WoW since then, they really are quite alike. (See also, Fallout 3 in terms of game structure and design.)

Seen as I only recently quit WoW, and never played prior to WotLK my opinion is based on the newer builds of the game, and it was still a "grindathon" and not even remotely representative of what you get with TES or Fallout games.

Well in that case we must agree to disagree.

I'm getting the feeling some people haven't played WoW for years, and definitely not since Cataclysm.

Have you played Skyrim?

I played Oblivion pretty extensively when it came out, and having played WoW since then, they really are quite alike. (See also, Fallout 3 in terms of game structure and design.)

They're both RPG's, so there's similarities, but they're simply not the same game. Wow's full of social stuff, pvp battlegrounds and auction houses and it's loaded with shit like instances designed to be replayed keep people paying subs. Wow's a cartoony style, with pretty basic graphics by todays standards where Skyrims got a nice Norse vibe in a very rich setting. The combat in each is completely different, Wow's a 'press attack and wait for it to die' game where Skyrims more action oriented with the ability to control each swing. They've got different crafting, different levelling system, there's no classes in skyrim...

There's lots of shooters around too, but that doesn't mean I'm only going to play one exclusively or continue only playing Modern Warfare 1 after the sequels come along.

I don't really get your point.

What I love about these games is the vast quantities of stuff they must cram into it that makes it feel like a real world. I know it's a fairly thin veneer of cause-and-effect, but it's spot on in most cases.

Example: in the side mission where you chose to rescue the cleaning woman or dob her in to the mercs chasing her down, there's a step where you have to talk to a bloke in a prison. He won't talk unless you get him out of there, and it gives you a couple of ways you can do that. I chose to pay his bail, but I'd also pick-pocketed the guards of their keys with a plan to break him out also.

Paid the guard, the prisoner tells me what I need, and starts yelling at the guards to let him out. Guards wander over and go 'oh I seem to have misplaced my key, soz'.

Brilliant, kind of unexpected because I'd forgotten about the pickpocketing I'd done earlier. And that's in a little side quest too.

Couple of downers for me; don't like the simplified levelling, I quite liked to chose between dex and str and whatnot rather than just pick hp, stamina, magica, though the perk system definately makes up for the loss.

The favorite system is bloody awful, and it's a shame the equip armour shit's so badly done too, it's deffo a struggle to work out what you're wearing and what's better.

That aside, loving it, ace game. Not done much of the main quest but spent ages dicking about exploring. Land feels very rich, dungeons seem better crafted this time round.

Twonky Wow is absolutely nothing like Skyrim. The only similarities are that you have quests, and level up your character - but then that's basically every RPG game really. No quests like "kill 10 pigmen and bring their hearts", it's all much more in depth and you really feel like you're living in another world (god that sounded cheesy!)

The game is absolutely groundbreaking, and although a different kind of game - more impressive than BF3 - and we both know that's saying something

I will be amazed if this doesn't get game of the year. If you like RPG games then this is simply unmissable

I played Wow for 3 years (i wish i could have back!) from vanilla up to end of Cata, by the time i hit level 80 i was absolutely bored shitless. The levelling was enjoyable, but once you hit the max, the game just doesn't have much to offer except the same stuff over and over and over. It was a good game in it's day, buy saying it's like Skyrim, is both massively over complementing Wow, and doing a huge disservice to Bethedsa for what they have managed to create. All in all, WoW became a pretty terrible game full of snot nosed kids giving abuse and a game engine that's years past it's sell by date. I wouldn't ever go back, maybe for a peek at WoW 2 if that ever comes.

I'm a happy PC gamer at the moment though.

Apart from the console friendly menus, and the Bethesda standard crashed, the game is brilliant.

The game is huge, listening to a podcast earlier and the guy had spent 30 something hours playing and had only completed one and a half side quest lines and barely touched the main game

Fair enough, I'll give it a go then. I've been absolutely ragging the arse out of BF3 and fancy a change of pace, but don't want to go back to WoW at the moment.

Downloading through Steam now :)

Seems pretty small at just over 4GB for a modern game though!

Archived