General Election 2011 - Onchan

Declan

I think it's pretty cool really. Woodford had a secret trust backing him, James Corrin has a bloody big Deathstar on his side. Can you imagine listening to the radio, no really, imagine the heavy Darth Vader breathing and the odd sound of a lightsabre.

I wonder what Yoda would do if he pulled into Starwash...?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spook, everything you have written above is exactly what I wanted to say. I'm just pissed off because you have articulated it so much better than I would have. I am also stunned because I had you down as a God bothering nutter.

Well said. :huh:

Well, there he is.

Zac Hall, an Eastern Airlines pilot, standing for LVP in Onchan.

Never heard of him.

Neither have I but it would be very amusing if of the two LVP candidates standing in Onchan he was the one elected.

Unlikely to happen but presumably if both are standing for the same party they will have identical poliies etc so in theory it should not matter which you vote for if you only what to elect one. If it came to a straight choice it might be worth while electing the one who can string a sentence together

it would be very amusing if of the two LVP candidates standing in Onchan he was the one elected.

The danger (for them) is that it splits the LVP vote and neither of them gets in.

I think PK will get in basically whatever. It just amuses me to think what would happen if the other LVP candidate got more votes. Sould he consider his position as leader of the party?

The danger (for them) is that it splits the LVP vote and neither of them gets in.

"Not victory , Obi- Wan. The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen. Begun, this Clone War has."

Yoda

OMG! This was already foretold like a prophecy. :o

Although that's probably unlikely since Karran's pretty popular in Onchan. During the last election he managed to snaffle a thousand votes more than the least popular candidate so it would take quite a dramatic shift in opinion to effect any serious change.

I think the reasoning is actually for the new candidate to piggyback on Karran's popularity in the parish on the assumption that some of those who would vote for Peter might be more likely to lend their second or third vote to another Lib Van candidate rather than David Quirk, Brian Stowell, or a new candidate.

Spook, I agree, it's not a manifesto, it's idealist rambling. My point is, we all want those things, who wouldn't?

Slim, I think he meant more public housing, as in social housing, not public houses as in pubs. :) To be fair there are no solutions offered in any of the manifestos usualy.

I like the idea of James in the House..in fact I would be glued to the radio during the broadcast sessions of Tynwald. There would be no chance of him sitting there in silence or wrapping up disasters in politic-speak. If there is a bucket of sh*t to be emptied he will empty it, at the feet of those who filled it.

The fact that he fought back tooth and nail on the forums bears that out.

I fell out with James years ago, but I respect his political acumen. OK, so he is aggressive and upsets people at the point of delivery, but his faults are all out there and undisguised.

If he were to be elected, there could be a problem with him being thrown out of the chamber so often that he might not be able to get a word in at the appropriate time.But he'd find a way.

Urgh, what a pile of rot. We're talking about a parliamentary government, not a slagging match in a pub. We don't need another minority voice in government doing nothing but asking questions, and James has shown nothing in his manifesto that would lead you to believe he could formulate any kind of coherent strategy. That's looking at this in isolation and ignoring all the rants we've seen from him in the past too!

I'm a bit sceptical about Vader's ability to hold the government to account as well; there's a difference between arguing against and articulating the flaws in government policy, and impotently ranting about this or that on an individual basis.

Reading the manifesto, it just looks like a list of hot topics rather than a basis upon which to build serious opposition to the government: Queen's Pier, Corpy housing, Buses, Breast Cancer, Civil servants, Steam Packet, Elected LegCo, and he doesn't seem to have realised that the Department of Trade and Industry no longer exists.

The only reason I can see to vote for him is if you want some visceral thrill of hearing him on the radio having a go at the government now and again, regardless of how effective he actually is at holding them to account. If that's what it comes down to, then we are in a very sad state indeed.

You've got to admit though, it would make good radio.

That's part of the problem though: Voting for A or B because they're liable to get stroppy with the government isn't really any different to voting for X because he's a nice man or Y because he bought a round in the pub in the run up to the election.

Archived