General Election 2011 - Onchan

Declan

He's not afraid to be unpopular - and that's perhaps something that our MHKs should learn.

Trouble is, you won't get in unless you're a 'nice man' who promises the electorate everything they want.

i thought most MHK's were unpopular in these times??

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good or bad, right or wrong, suitable candidate or not he has at least stuck his head above the parapet and is trying to do something and not just sit and moan but do NOTHING.

All credit to the man.

I'll be using my vote after copious amounts of moaning. Not all of us have the inclination to granny farm.

Zac is the other Lib Van candidate for Onchan,will the people there vote together with Peter and have two Lib Vans in?.

That is a very good point.

With three votes at your disposal and with there being not very much choice in the rest of the bunch yet, this could be a masterstroke for Peter Karran and the Liberal Vannin Party.

How ever right he may be, he isn't making a good impression by describing the pier as "a piece of junk". You may well think that but as a politician you should be able to choose your words more carefully and should concentrate on explaining why a breast care consultant would be a good use of money rather than just slagging off the other option. Then again, he is standing for election in Onchan and maybe all Onchanites think this way about the pier.

more public houses,

Slim, I think he meant more public housing, as in social housing, not public houses as in pubs. :) To be fair there are no solutions offered in any of the manifestos usualy.

I like the idea of James in the House..in fact I would be glued to the radio during the broadcast sessions of Tynwald. There would be no chance of him sitting there in silence or wrapping up disasters in politic-speak. If there is a bucket of sh*t to be emptied he will empty it, at the feet of those who filled it.

The fact that he fought back tooth and nail on the forums bears that out.

I fell out with James years ago, but I respect his political acumen. OK, so he is aggressive and upsets people at the point of delivery, but his faults are all out there and undisguised.

If he were to be elected, there could be a problem with him being thrown out of the chamber so often that he might not be able to get a word in at the appropriate time.But he'd find a way.

He could become the new Eddie Callister of old,he was a firebrand too,he wouldn't put up with the crap that's spewed out in the Keys today.

I think that LibVan fielding two candidates could be very risky. It could split their vote and neither get in or, possibly worse, PK would not get back in, which would probably spell the end of the LVP?

If PK is a constituency MHK rather than a Goverment player, people may wonder why they should voter for two such MHKs. If Zak has any political ambitions, he may not accept LibVans stay out of the Govt stance and having ousted PK, may then leave the party to advance his involvement?

I think that LibVan fielding two candidates could be very risky. It could split their vote and neither get in or, possibly worse, PK would not get back in, which would probably spell the end of the LVP?

If PK is a constituency MHK rather than a Goverment player, people may wonder why they should voter for two such MHKs. If Zak has any political ambitions, he may not accept LibVans stay out of the Govt stance and having ousted PK, may then leave the party to advance his involvement?

I think your putting far too much emphasise on the LVP as a political party. Most of the granny's that vote for PK do so because he is perceived to do a lot for them in the community and couldn’t give two hoots about what party he is in so, sadly, he will get in with a landslide again. Zak will probably get in as well as long as he comes across as a “lovely young man” when Peter takes him round to tend to his herd.

James "Vader" Corrin - An Apology

An earlier version of the opening post on this thread said -

"MF Name: Vader (amongst others)"

It has come to my attention that this is "a petty slur" and "a moral contravention of [James "Vader" Corrin's] human rights as a person".

I am pleased to confirm that James "Vader" Corrin is not a member of Manx Forums any more and that "the title and "amongst others" does not legally exist.". Since I wouldn't wish to be "subject of legal action under the terms of data protection", I wish to clarify that MF stands for Manx Freedom, a forum where James "Vader" Corrin, posts under the name Vader (amongst others). The fact that James "Vader" Corrin has in past posted here, on, Manx Net, Manx On-Line, Manx Chat and other local forums under (amongst others) the user name Vader, is purely coincidental.

(amongst others)

Talking of which, the Manx Freedom forum that he's definitely not to the admin of is a weird place. Appears to be a load of sock puppets agreeing and being nice to each other while talking 'down with the kids'. An odd way of spending your time: talking to yourself online in different voices.

Quirkio was on the election slot on Mandate this morning and was asked whether he spent too much of his political time banging on about Onchan Football Club. His response was that he thought not, as he did allow himself a social life ! Do you think he understood the question ? Doh ! Incidentally I do wonder the value of these five minute 'blitzkrieg' interviews as the candidates aren't given time to develop an argument let alone answer the question before Moss throws his net over them and goes in with the trident.

Quirkio was on the election slot on Mandate this morning and was asked whether he spent too much of his political time banging on about Onchan Football Club. His response was that he thought not, as he did allow himself a social life ! Do you think he understood the question ? Doh !

Ah, yes! David "I've made a difference" Quirk who, when pressed, was unable to come up with anything he had actually achieved. Instead he chose to use his 5 minutes to slag off Onchan Commissioners whilst also claiming he was "committed to the community".

Quirkio was on the election slot on Mandate this morning and was asked whether he spent too much of his political time banging on about Onchan Football Club. His response was that he thought not, as he did allow himself a social life ! Do you think he understood the question ? Doh ! Incidentally I do wonder the value of these five minute 'blitzkrieg' interviews as the candidates aren't given time to develop an argument let alone answer the question before Moss throws his net over them and goes in with the trident.

Et tu Judy?

Quirkio....

Like it! I don't think I can ever listen to him on the radio now, without seeing a picture in my head of Frankie Howerd camping it up.

Archived