General Election 2011 - Malew & Santon

Declan

We had a burd call yesterday extoling hansons virtues and she gave me his blurd.

i aint even looked at it yet, i will post anything worth mentioning if i bother reading it.

That would have been a very brief conversation with the lady in question then.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an interesting chat with Cregeen, to be fair he made the right noises, however he has done this before and then done a u turn when someone else has told him how to think !

I was dismayed however that he sees the solution to the financial problems we face as ones of efficiency savings and re organisation, he did say he would like to take on the unions who are bankrupting us but said Gawne is a big union man and they will not be allowed to chase the unions !

Ho Hum not ideal but maybe the best of a bad bunch.

Had an interesting chat with Cregeen, to be fair he made the right noises, however he has done this before and then done a u turn when someone else has told him how to think !

I was dismayed however that he sees the solution to the financial problems we face as ones of efficiency savings and re organisation, he did say he would like to take on the unions who are bankrupting us but said Gawne is a big union man and they will not be allowed to chase the unions !

Ho Hum not ideal but maybe the best of a bad bunch.

Hang on...a postman objecting to "unions who are bankrupting us"....does Cregeen know what irony is...it appears not.

What I find even more of an irony is that Mr Cregeen was once a rep for a union the Communication Workers Union I think it was. So I would have said that it was him that was the union man, not Mr Gawne, or maybe its both.

But what I find more worrying is the lack of information about Mr Cregeen. Yes I have not seen any of the 3 candidates yet, but in this modern age I should be able to make up my mind about the person from what I can read on the internet, from the information on their websites.

I have read Mr Hanson's web page and the answers he has put on the Manx Radio election page, also that of Mr Kelly, so even if I do not happen to meet them in person I will know quite a bit about their ideas and what they want to bring in if they get elected. In this day and age I'm not going to cast my vote just because one showed up on my door and the other two did not. That to my mind is a bit silly and maybe some of the problem is with the Isle of Man and how we pick the government in the first place, but that is a different topic altogether. Yes it helps, but to my mind it is not definitely needed in order to find out what these people will bring us.

But what of Mr Cregeen? He has not answered the questions on Manx Radio, so thats a non starter. Only very recently has a web page appeared, and apart from telling me what he has done in the past 5 years, which in my mind does not seem an awful lot, there isnt much there. Also looking at his old manifesto, which I always keep from the people that stand for reference, I don't think I can see one thing he has actively done that he said he would. But worse than that, I have no idea what he plans to do in the next 5 years. Many MHKs have not released their manifestos yet, but we can get some idea of their views from their web sites.

Also with the Manx Radio debates fast approaching (does anyone know when Malew and Santons is on?) how can Mr Hanson and Mr Kelly challenge Mr Cregeens views or what he would like to bring in without even knowing them? But Mr Cregeen will be able to cherry pick the others manifestos/websites and challenge them on their views, which is good in my mind because you see who has done their homework and thought about what they want and it makes it a real debate. But that leaves Mr Cregeen with a very unfair advantage where he can go on the attack about the other candidates views and they cannot about him. We all talk about open and honest government, but when even your own sitting member does not want to show his hand it really is irony.

So at the moment I will be voting for one of the other candidates, for the reasons above, and because of what Mr Cregeen has not achieved from when he stood last time. I'm undecided which other candidate yet as I think both have good ideas, like Mr Hanson and the fire station, the size of government and of keeping the taxation the same as other offshore centres and that of Mr Kelly's rent to buy, shift patterns for workers and he has given some good answers from questions he has been sent. So I shall listen to the debates and see what Mr Hanson and Mr Kelly have to say and then make my mind up.

But it would be nice if Mr Cregeen had something for us all to see. I think for me and my partner it will be too late as he seems to be conducting his election campaign in a cloak and dagger manner for some strange reason and to me that is not what I want from my MHK.

As noted above, still no sign of the elusive Mr Cregeen, only two weeeks to the election and he shows no interest in answering his electorate as to his actions over the last few years and his proposed actions for the new administration.

Unfortunately the two alternatives seem distinctly lightweight, but a change can only do us good. I urge people to vote for Mr Hanson to at least unseat Mr Cregeen and let him return to being a postman!

Unfortunately I voted for him last time, but what a disappointment.

As noted above, still no sign of the elusive Mr Cregeen, only two weeeks to the election and he shows no interest in answering his electorate as to his actions over the last few years and his proposed actions for the new administration.

Unfortunately the two alternatives seem distinctly lightweight, but a change can only do us good. I urge people to vote for Mr Hanson to at least unseat Mr Cregeen and let him return to being a postman!

Unfortunately I voted for him last time, but what a disappointment.

Interesting sentiments. I wonder how many others will feel as you do and deny their vote to the disappointing Mr Cregeen. If enough do, he's in trouble of course. The difficulty is, Hanson or Kelly...an MHK.... really....? You just can't see it can you?

Cregeen is turning into the new houghton with his arrogance though, he is an overnight expert in any subject that you care to raise with him. It is a real shame there is not a none if the above option. if they can effectivley do it in comin / chief min votes why not the keys !

Real car crash radio on Manx Radio at the moment,

The debates are noticably better when Beth Espey chairs, but this isn't all his fault, Hansen and Kelly are way out of their depth?

Couldn't agree more. Great repost near the end from Kelly when asked if he understood natural wastage, "yes Graham, I'm not thick or anyfink"

Couldn't agree more. Great repost near the end from Kelly when asked if he understood natural wastage, "yes Graham, I'm not thick or anyfink"

I never really understand the point of savings by natural wastage unless it is shown to keep on for a period rtaher than make redundany because all it says to me is that we know we do not need a person to do X, but rather than take the difficult decision to make redundant now we will happily incur these unneccesary costs for a while longer.

Real car crash radio on Manx Radio at the moment,

The debates are noticeably better when Beth Espey chairs, but this isn't all his fault, Hansen and Kelly are way out of their depth?

I don't live in Malew and Santon (West Douglas actually)but M&S is hypnotically dreadful. My God they were terrible weren't they?

• 2 weeks later...

Moe came in holding a plank.

Larry called him from the back of the hall.

Moe turned - hitting Curly in the back of the head.

Moe dropped plank on Curly's foot.

Larry rushed over and tripped over a bucket of water, getting his foot stuck in it.

Curly hopped over to the table and tried to sit on it.

Table collapsed.

Water spilt on floor.

All three then slipped over.

Probably.

Archived