General Election 2011 - Malew & Santon

Declan

Yes, I heard it too. It was a bowel shivering experience. Who are some of these people who think that they can just put themselves forward to lead the Island just because they impress their wife or their mates down the pub ? This is democracy gone mad when any Tom, Dick, Harry, or Jane feels they have the quality to represent us. It's becoming like game-show politics - Who Wants To Be An MHK or Total Wipeout ? This is another good reason to have organised parties or pressure groups so people can be vetted and primed before they make fools of themselves, and we increase the calibre of those put before the electorate. No wonder the voters are switched off. Is it any surprise ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I heard it too. It was a bowel shivering experience. Who are some of these people who think that they can just put themselves forward to lead the Island just because they impress their wife or their mates down the pub ? This is democracy gone mad when any Tom, Dick, Harry, or Jane feels they have the quality to represent us. It's becoming like game-show politics - Who Wants To Be An MHK or Total Wipeout ? This is another good reason to have organised parties or pressure groups so people can be vetted and primed before they make fools of themselves, and we increase the calibre of those put before the electorate. No wonder the voters are switched off. Is it any surprise ?

I quite agree Judy but do you think that LVP has "vetted and primed" all of its candidates because, if so, some really serious rubbish must have been in the running beforehand.

I think your absolutely right Uhtred, and I sympathise with LibVan because they are trying to generate progressive policies and ideas, but you have to wonder if it might be better strategy to field their best candidates who have real ability and a real chance of success. Even one or two successful candidates (who remain loyal to the party) of substance would be a very worthwhile achievement.

I think your absolutely right Uhtred, and I sympathise with LibVan because they are trying to generate progressive policies and ideas, but you have to wonder if it might be better strategy to field their best candidates who have real ability and a real chance of success. Even one or two successful candidates (who remain loyal to the party) of substance would be a very worthwhile achievement.

Areed wholeheartedly - though I still think LVP's biggest liability - by far - is the party leader!

Did anyone else hear Gareth Kelly on the radio yesterday?Not a bad effort really though he is being a bit of a sneaky bugger.Very non commital on various things like the buses and he is still being secretive about who he works for.Come on Gazza,you work for Dandara,no reason to be ashamed.

You do have to understand that you only have a set time to talk about any one subject. And you may not get your full point across in the time. I would have liked to have said a lot more to be honest but we ran out of time.

And I can not see how I have been secretive about who I work for, would you like a list of all the people I have worked for in the past 5 years. And why would i be ashamed to work for any company that needs my services? They hire me to do a job and I carry out that job, and I carry out that job very well.

Yes Dandara is one of many people I work for, but I cannot see how that would have any bearing on me standing to be an MHK.

So I can not see why you think it is a big deal. The people I have spoken to on the door do not seem to be worried when i tell them. In fact some are pleased because I have knowledge of building works which may help in government.

And to be honest I could have got around this question, as technically I do not work for Dandara direct. But I have nothing to hide and see no problem with people knowing who I work for; it is not really a secret to be honest, and if anyone on the door asks what line work I am doing at the moment then i tell them.

Did anyone else hear Gareth Kelly on the radio yesterday?Not a bad effort really though he is being a bit of a sneaky bugger.Very non commital on various things like the buses and he is still being secretive about who he works for.Come on Gazza,you work for Dandara,no reason to be ashamed.

You do have to understand that you only have a set time to talk about any one subject. And you may not get your full point across in the time. I would have liked to have said a lot more to be honest but we ran out of time.

And I can not see how I have been secretive about who I work for, would you like a list of all the people I have worked for in the past 5 years. And why would i be ashamed to work for any company that needs my services? They hire me to do a job and I carry out that job, and I carry out that job very well.

Yes Dandara is one of many people I work for, but I cannot see how that would have any bearing on me standing to be an MHK.

So I can not see why you think it is a big deal. The people I have spoken to on the door do not seem to be worried when i tell them. In fact some are pleased because I have knowledge of building works which may help in government.

And to be honest I could have got around this question, as technically I do not work for Dandara direct. But I have nothing to hide and see no problem with people knowing who I work for; it is not really a secret to be honest, and if anyone on the door asks what line work I am doing at the moment then i tell them.

I hope you have the talent then to stop Gov. doing building works on grand scales with money it doesn't have !!!!

I hope you have the talent then to stop Gov. doing building works on grand scales with money it doesn't have !!!!

That is one area I plan to look at. And to make sure any works that do need to be done are done in budget and are priced from the start. Not the "o that looks nice build it" when they do not have a clue on what the plans mean to the cost of the project

That is one area I plan to look at. And to make sure any works that do need to be done are done in budget and are priced from the start. Not the "o that looks nice build it" when they do not have a clue on what the plans mean to the cost of the project

"And to make sure any works that do need to be done, are done in budget, and are priced from the start." [ i added the commas for you ]

How are you going to do that then?.

Not the "o that looks nice build it" when they do not have a clue on what the plans mean to the cost of the project

Can you give an example of the bolded bit above please ?.

I hope i can expect more than rhetoric from you, when you mosey on up to my doorstep.

I think the non movement of this thread, Malew and Santon reflects the quality of all those standing, unless there is a box which states "none of the above" I don't think I'll trouble the polling station !

Between here and Castletown we have the biggest collection of no hopers to vote for, perhaps with the exception of Jason Moorhouse !

"And to make sure any works that do need to be done, are done in budget, and are priced from the start." [ i added the commas for you ]

How are you going to do that then?.

Not the "o that looks nice build it" when they do not have a clue on what the plans mean to the cost of the project

Can you give an example of the bolded bit above please ?.

I hope i can expect more than rhetoric from you, when you mosey on up to my doorstep.

Not had an answer yet Paul? Maybe Gazza, I mean Mr Kelly is very busy. :cool:

I will give you one for him, retro fitting disabled ramps and lifts in to schools. Massive waste of money, and in one school I over heard the builders saying "just do it, what ever we say, they pay the bill, I don't know what the budget is for this, they just said it was huge"

Shafts built too small for the lifts, dust, mess, and the staff at the DEC think they know better than the staff working in the schools every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the constituency and we have had neither a manifesto or a vist from any candidate.

Word on the street is that Cregeen thinks he is so sure of reelection that he feels no need to dirty his hands with electioneering.

How quickly one ascends from being a humble postman to Master of the Universe!

I can assure you that the 'humble postman' is doing the legwork around the village of Ballasalla (had half an hour with him yesterday)so if everyone has the same amount of time with him will he get to see every votor? Says his manifesto will be out shortly - he had previously left a 'calling card' on my doormat. He IS doing some

good electioneering whereas i've not seen or heard anything from the other candidates.

Archived